Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michellesg_gw

Hollow June Bugs

michellesg
16 years ago

So I know that the coming of June Bugs is a dreaded thing and they eat plants, etc. I've seen a few in my yard lately but they've all been hollow shells, no live ones. Am I missing something? Did they hatch out of their brown casings into something bigger and nastier that's going to fly into me and knock me over? Forgive my ignorance but this is my first house/garden and the only things that freak me out more than june bugs are roaches (haven't seen any of those, knock on wood!). I want to get myself emotionally prepared if the shells mean a second coming of gargantuan june bugs, this is Texas after all.

Comments (11)

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question but I hear you on the hugantigo june bugs. They like to smack me in the noggin and the darn things are huge,flying and NASTY!!! I hope the shells mean dead ones!!!PJ

• jolanaweb
    16 years ago

When we have hollow dried junebugs, it's because of spiders and we have tons of spiders

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

OH Jolana I like the sound of that. I hate june bugs. I have spiders but maybe not enough to keep up with the june bugs but then I'm not fond of spiders either. I hate running into their webs walking out back. I sometimes take a stick and wave it around getting the webs out of my way, I must look a sight doing that but it beats having webs all over me face.

• pjtexgirl
    16 years ago

So does Jolana!! It's the spider symphony!!!! LOL! I actually like spiders. I'm not to big on the web being stuck in my hair tho!!! PJ

• terryisthinking
    16 years ago

At the risk of being equally ignorant
    might they be talking about a cicada shell?

To my knowledge, June bugs come in one size, and are always fairly dense.

• lindseyrose
    16 years ago

I was thinking cicada shells, too. I just heard them for the first time a couple nights ago. I'll link to a picture I found via Google Image search.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bo_berrin
    16 years ago

My girls think it's funny to hook those cicada shells to my shirt when I'm not looking, and laugh their heads off when I discover it. I don't know why they think it's funny to see me fly into a whirling, slapping heebie-jeebie dance. I don't see the humor in it.

So, Michelle, are they cicada shells like in Lindseyrose's picture link? I found a bright green irridescent june bug shell, too. It looked alive, but when my daughter (who is much more daring than I) picked it up and then dropped it, it kinda floated down instead of falling, as if it were hollow and almost weightless.

• michellesg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just went out to look and all I could find was a half dead june bug (not hollow, just half dead). We do have cicadas, or so my neighbor tells me that's what the evening noise is. This is our first year here in Texas and being from San Diego I've never actually seen them before. We're kinda recovering urbanites. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I betcha they are cicada shells. Do the cicadas put a damper on june bugs thriving? In San Diego the june bugs swarmed, they came at you in clouds and just freaked me out. I'd think they'd be like that here but I've only seen them in singles and sporadically at that. I'm not complaining, just curious!

• rumbum
    16 years ago

I have (live) June bugs to spare if you need some, LOL! Not as bad as last year, though, by a long shot. I think they drown real easily.

• carla morey
    16 years ago

So THAT'S what those shells are?? I always thought they were June Bug shells! Well, be that as it may, I haven't seen any Cicada shells as yet this year and have very few June Bugs so far. Vastly fewer June Bugs than last year, that's for sure. Perhaps some of this heavy rain drowned them? Well, one can hope.

Carla in Rowlett

• denisew
    16 years ago

I found a cicada shell attached to my passionvine in the front yard yesterday. Those are so cool to find - the boys love seeing them because you can see where the eyes were, legs and all.