Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calverttx

Honey Bee's and Pittsporum

calverttx
13 years ago

We have about 20 Pittsporum. They have a lot of white stuff and black stuff that looks like soot or black mold and 100's of little bees. At first I thought it might be from white flys, now I am not sure. The bee's have been here for a couple of weeks (that I know of). I do not want to lose my Pitts. Does anyone have any ideas?

All of you are so smart. Someone always comes to my rescue. Thank you for all of your help, Past Present and Future.

Comments (8)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Been leaving your post up until someone sees it who might know. I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to your question yet. I guess nobody that knows has seen it -- not so smart after all ... LOL

Maybe picture would help. I just can't imagine what is going on with your Pittsporum with white stuff and black sooty stuff AND bees! Do you think they are honey bees, or some kind of wild bees? Are your plants looking okay at this point? Please let us know.

• calverttx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is what is strange, the plants look great and yes, I think they are honey bee's. Well, they were. I suppose they are gone now with the freeze. I will look tomorrow.

I will go to Producers in Bryan and ask them. The pictures are a good idea. Maybe someone will help. Thanks

• avalonweddingsbcs
    13 years ago

doubt if it would have anythingt to do with actual honey bees.. They dont leave mold....

Speaking of which.... do you know anyone in calvert who might be interested in honeybee hives? i'm looking for places to set up hives in the spring.

and i have a lot of flowerpots to get rid of. The plastic kind you get with your flowers at the plant store. if you know anyone who nees some... email me..

ANd i would take a plant sample to Anne at close quarters in welborn.. the plant people at the coop dont seem to know much about plants..

• calverttx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This only gets stranger. I thought after the freeze they would be gone, no, still here. I do not kid you, there are hundreds of the little bees. There is a good nursery on Hwy 79 that is very knowledgeable. I will take it to her tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.........

• calverttx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Listen up people. This got bad as could be. The honey bees were joined by red hornets and yellow jackets. Hubby estimated that there were almost 1,000 bees out our front door. We finally had to get an exterminator. We feared for the children who ride their bikes about 10 feet form the end of the pitts. If you have a situation like this keep and eye on it. I truly did not want the exterminator but it became to dangerous.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Wow -- that is really weird! Did the exterminator give any information on what was attracting so many honey bees, red hornets and yellow jackets to the area around the pittsporum?

• calverttx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There is no explanation. Strangest thing I have ever seen. We had neighbors coming by to see the activity. You could stand back and just watch them fly around. There were more than the eye could keep up with. This is a bed about 35 feet long.

• bandit_tx
    13 years ago

Honey bees are never a danger to anyone when feeding. Bees only defend their hive. They are happiest when working and most docile whtn swarming. Never spray polinators just because you have planted something they like. They will disappear when the food source does. The kids on bikes could stand in the bed and still not get stung unless they caught one and squeezed it. Your exterminator should have known better.