Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Native Pecans are Terrible this Year

seamommy
14 years ago

Here it is the middle of November and I haven't gotten a single good nut from any of my native pecans. All the nuts that have fallen so far are damaged by bugs, worms or squirrels. Except for the ones that are still in the hulls. But most of the nuts are still tight in green hulls attached to the tree branches. Very strange.

Also, the crows and squirrels are scavenging on the ground a lot more than usual. Normally the crows pick a nut and fly out over the street and drop it so it will crack and then they drop down and pick it out. I watched several of them today, walking around my yard and driveway just looking at the ground. It was weird.

This seems late for the native pecans, doesn't it, or am I just craving a praline? Cheryl

Comments (13)

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Not a single pecan on our tree, but we just thought it was still recovering from Ike.
    What's up with your birds?
    Tally HO!

• carrie751
    14 years ago

I haven't checked the one in the donkey pen, but the one near my house has more pecans that ever, and yes, it dropped a lot of them with the green shell still attached, but something took them. They are not on the ground under the tree anymore.

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I picked up a bunch of them yesterday, but they were all bad, with some kind of black fungus or something on the nutmeat.

I don't know about those birds Tally, I haven't seen them today. Had to stay home from work with the little ankle biter as he has been ill with a cough and he woke up today with a cold in his eye. Cheryl(looking forward to naptime)

• TxMarti
    14 years ago

There is an empty lot near me with several old pecan trees and I noticed a couple of men picking up pecans the other day. My papershell doesn't have a single pecan on it right now. I don't spray with anything nonorganic, but dh thinks we need to start doing that next year.

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We don't spray ours either, most of them are huge old trees that have never had anything done to them. Sitting here at the computer, I just saw one of those walking crows land in the driveway. Squawking and walking, that's all he is doing.

Oh well, the pecans make great compost. I have to gather and store them in a bin separate from the ones DH runs. He doesn't have the patience to wait 2 years for them to break down.

Looking out this window I see that the front flower bed is being overrun with orange daylilies again. I'm going to have to dig out that whole thing. Look for orange daylilies at the next swap again, friends. Cheryl

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

Ours all have good nuts but some trees have only a few on them.

Last year was a bad pecan year here...all rotten.

Kt

• beachplant
    14 years ago

I guess pecans will go up this year. I bought some at Sams the other day for brownies.
    Tally hO!

• wally_1936
    14 years ago

Well we live in Pecan Grove so that should tell you something. Bumper crop, braking limbs left and right. Gave away 15 gallons and shelled 3 gallons. Yes a lot were bad because of our dry summer and wet harvest time. But I shelled out all I had at that time. Had to put them into our oven at 200 for about 1 hour as they were very moist and some were bitter being too green. Cured nicely and will be making pies for thanksgiving as well as Christmas. Will be sending some to my mother-in-law. They go great ground up in Sugar Cookies. Have to try out a few new recipes this year still looking for the best tasting pie.

• Bev__
    14 years ago

Our pecans are plentiful this year. Last years was better. The nut in some are a little softer than normal. I just gave away 10+ gal of them yesterday. I don't have time to crack them. We spray for web worms & fertilize & water.

• Lynn Marie
    14 years ago

When I read this post I had to go bust into the big bag of pecans my DH brought back from his parent's house in western Archer county. They tasted great to me! Where are you, Cheryl? I'd love some orange daylilies to go with my red and yellow ones. Be willing to trade them...

Lynn Marie

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

It's been a downright *weird* year;

so many things that usually thrive have been pitiful (even my famous 4 o'clocks have hardly bloomed), & yet the bald cypresses that usually go into heat dormancy in August or September stayed green until autumn.

I got my first "crop" (nearly a quart, woo-woo!) from trees that grew from mulch I brought in about 15 years ago.

So far, they're all delish!

• tobydmv
    14 years ago

There's a few neglected trees in Lake Dallas that are just loaded with Pecans. I grabbed a bunch and they tasted bitter. Do they need to dry out after you pick them? Probably has to do with the weak soil these are growing on.

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

I wouldn't think they'd need to dry;
    part of the flavor is in the oil.

It sounds like this was just a bad year for pecans.

Although the ones from that one tree have been wonderful, I haven't found pecans under any of the other pecan trees.

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County