wisrose
16 years ago

this message states you cannot put under induction unit

Here is a link that might be useful: go to page 7

Comments (20)

• wisrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oops I thought this was going in Test forum. Here is the Question...GE monogram induction cook top claims you can put the monogram oven underneath *but* on page 7 there is a little note stating the oven does not qualify to be used under induction unit..I do not know what to think. Can anybody help me with this discrepancy? thank you for any responses.

• try_hard
    16 years ago

Wisrose: I'm having similar issues with what to do under my GE induction cooktop. I'm in the process of building a new home so the cooktop isn't installed yet. I will have drawers under it, not an oven. The literature says to keep 12" clearance between the cooktop and any combustible items and also the 12" is required for air circulation. However, if installing an oven, you only need X" clearance. I called GE about this because their cooktop requires twice as much - even 3 times as much - clearance as other induction cooktops. I was trying to understand why and if there was some way I could configure my drawers to avoid combustion and air flow issues but not lose 12" of storage space. Their support people were NO HELP. None, none, none. You could tell they were just reading from the same installation manual available on the internet.

I recommend you do some searches on this forum and also the Kitchens forum because other people have talked about their setup. Maybe it will help you.

try_hard

• wisrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the help. I have read every induction and appliance thread I could dig up and I have read them many times. In fact that is how I learned about and decided to use induction cooking. But anyway there is nothing about anyone putting ovens under GEooktop. Although someone did mention some models that GE claims would work, I checked the install instructions, Not approved for under cooktops. Unfortunately I have few choices; I need to have a product that can be serviced if something, when something goes wrong. Otherwise I would go with another brand.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

wisrose, Now I'm really confused. I've been accessing installation manuals for the GE Monogram 36" induction cooktop (ZHU 36 RBMM) and the ZET 1 SSMS thru the applianceadvisor.com web site. Look at page 6 for both instruction manuals on the applianceadvisor site. There is a note saying each can be installed only with another appliance listed on the product label. However, neither manual says anything about not installing a ZET 1 under an induction cooktop. It looks like my plan isn't going to work now but I'm glad to know this before ordering the cabinets. Thanks.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

wisrose, I should have thought about this before my first response but I just checked the serial numbers on the manual you linked and on the one I've been reading. Your's ends with 1205 JR, mine with 1107 JR. Only guessing, but maybe these are dates and this is when either the manual or the product was updated. I'll try to find time to check with GE tomorrow by email.

• schmaltzy
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I should post when I have the literature in front of me, so I'll amend this tomorrow if I'm remembering incorrectly.
    My appliance salesman called GE to specifically ask if the ZET1 could go under the Monogram induction. He was told yes. I bought both, and as we read the installation manuals, the induction manual said no problem and the oven manual said there would be a sticker on the oven stating whether it was compatible. The number on the oven did not make the list of compatible ovens. We installed anyway, based on the induction manual assurance as well as that of our salesman. In 3 months there have been no issues, and I ran self-clean this week and my granite got pretty hot, but the induction unit is working fine.

Beth

• wisrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH schmaltzy you made my day, the only thing I worry if GE will honor warranty should the induction unit fail for some reason. I may go that way in the end. Please keep me posted if anything should happen, I won't be making my purchase for a couple of months yet. thanks ;)

***flseadog*** you made a good point about the oven manual being outdated. Did you contact GE about this situation? If so what oven can go under the induction? I don't think they know.

• schmaltzy
    16 years ago

I double-checked with DH last night and he said the sticker on the induction unit said the ZET1 was compatible.
    We assumed the oven sticker just hadn't been updated, since the induction unit is so new. Also, my appliance salesman told me not to worry, as they would honor the warranty. I got a 5 year extended, just because the induction unit is so newly in production.
    Perhaps your salesperson could verify the compatibility for you, and give you the piece of mind that spending this much money requires.

Beth

• flseadog
    16 years ago

wisrose, I emailed GE this morning but have not heard back yet. Past questions to them have been answered within 2 or 3 days so I should hear soon. I prefer email to calling them because I always like to have something in writing. This is good news from schmaltzy and I live in hope that this another glitch that we can crossed off the list.

• schmaltzy
    16 years ago

I just went to the Monogram website, and I should clarify my model #. I got the ZET1SLSS, and the installation instructions on page 7 do say compatible with some cooktops, sticker # etc.
    The ZET1PLSS specifically says is IS NOT induction compatible on page 7. So I was remiss in just saying ZET1.

Beth

• trekker
    16 years ago

If you can get your hands on the spec sheets, they should tell you what tolerances are required. That's how I figured out that I could put the Kenmore induction cooktop above the Kenmore wall over, even tho the customer service people said I couldn't. When we opened up the boxes, the first thing we found was a sheet showing which units could be installed above which others and my units were on the lists.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to find spec sheets for other brands. They must be available and may even be on a website.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

On GE's own website model numbers seem inconsistent depending on how you work through the site. A few observations:

1. As far as I can tell, ZET 1 SMSS and ZET 1 SLSS are the same oven, a Monogram convection oven with a "tube" handle. The installation manual for this model was updated 11/07 and does not prohibit installation under an induction cook-top.

2. ZET 1PMSS and ZET 1 PLSS seem to be the same oven, a Monogram convection oven with a professional style handle. This manual was updated 12/05 and specifically states NOT to use under an induction cook-top.

I'm still waiting for a reply from GE on whether or not any ZET 1 is compatible for installation under an induction cook-top.

• wisrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Isn't this just crazy that we have to go through this kind of investigation to get information. Between GE and the dealers you would think they would have this kind of information, I mean yikes this ain't rocket science. Anyway, thanks for the top notch investigation reports, I'm gettin' a handle on the situation now.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

wisrose, After 3 times back and forth with GE this is definitive. ZET 1 SLSS, ZET 1 SMSS and ZET 1 PMSS are approved for installation under a Monogram induction cooktop. I would send you their response but tech support, aka Number 1 son, is out of town and my computer skills are very basic. Probably it's better for you to ask them directly your SPECIFIC question on the models you want to install. That's what I finally learned in my back and forth. If I asked a general question about single convection ovens under an induction cooktop they responded with a general/ambiguous statement such as "some single ovens may be installed under some induction cooktops."

A further interesting nugget, the model number system indicates the newest production run. For instance, ZET 1 SMSS is a newer run than ZET 1 SLSS. The key letters are the M and the L, as M is after L in the alphabet. They said this system is consistent for all models. So I guess there is an S series of wall ovens and a P series (from the photo gallery on the website this is based on handle design but I didn't ask this SPECIFIC question so they didn't tell me). SS seems to stand for stainless steel as the final two letters in the model number.

Hope this is helpful.

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

I remember reading the the "P" stands fro "pro" as in pro-handle... the tubular thinner handle.

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

Hmm...yet another thing to worry about, as usual .com vs. .ca is the problem. FLseadog, interesting point about the "L" series followed by the "M" series-makes sense. On Ge appliances.ca, the "L" series is what is available to us in Canada. Does anyone know if those are the ones with the dreaded baffle in the back. If they are, I shall have to reconsider my choice of oven. I've just popped an email to the company, but sometimes they get back, sometimes they don't.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

"Does anyone know if those are the ones with the dreaded baffle in the back."

Can you elaborate? I did a search and only came up with one other reference to this issue. Is it internal, external, how does this affect oven size, etc.? Thanks!

• moose_2007
    16 years ago

fenworth:
    not having actually seen one in person, I am talking about a "hatbox" at the back(interior)of the oven which apparently housed the fan and reduced the inner depth of the oven. I read about it in the search topic-FP Vs monogram wall ovens. Someone else wrote that these older wall ovens were noisy as well and that Monogram changed over in 2006. I am hoping that the models available to us(ZET1SLSS), are not with the older design

• wisrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

fleadog....helpful indeed! and generous, I graciously 'thank you' for your kindness and dedicated investigation.

• flseadog
    16 years ago

Glad to help. The information on this forum has been an invaluable aid to me and I'm just paying it forward as the saying goes. Besides I'm like an old dog with a bone. I can't leave it alone until there's nothing left to chew on. Ironically, I met with the appliance salesman to order the Monogram cooktop and oven and I think I've talked myself into the Thermadors instead even though I can't install the oven underneath the cooktop. Another set of choices to investigate. LOL