Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Subzero 36 O/U Built in OR Integrated

toddimt
13 years ago

I am looking at three fridges. Two of the are Sub Zero's. They are both 36" Over Unders. Trying to find out Pluses and minus of the built-in version vs Integrated.

Comments (7)

• User
    13 years ago

built in means you need cabinetry to attach the fridge too - it will not stand on it's own so to speak. They always have a carcass depth of 24" and the doors can protrude anywhere form 1/2 to 3" in front of that. The doors can be stainless steel or another colored metal or can accept a wooden panel.

integrated is sometimes bandied about by some to mean built in , but it really refers to built in fridge that get a door/drawer panel that looks exactly like the adjacent cabinetry. This can also be confusing because "fully integrated" means the unit totally disappears - meaning no grilles or trim or toekick are visible and the doors are not distinguishable from the cabinets next to it.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What about functionality? Features, etc?

I see that the built-in touts the water filter and air filter but no mention with the integrated model. No sure what other reasons to pick one or the other.

• User
    13 years ago

Features are brand and model specific, so a broad generalization is pointless.

Re: SZ's line - their 700 series "fully integrated" line is quite old and due for replacement. 10-15 years ago it was cutting edge and defined the segment. Now, there are several competitors with the same integration ability and better features. 700 series does not have water filters built in which is no big deal as you can easily and cheaply add whatever you like. They do not have the gee wiz replaceable air filter cartridges either.

If you want the latest tech and design you go with the BI series, (or a Miele/Thermador?Gaggenau) and if you want multiple drawers or proven track record and full integration the 700 series is the ticket. The 700 series allows you to have flush doors across and install at 25" total depth. Can't do that with the BI series.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks antss.

Knowledgeable as always.

I have a post on the kitchen forums about maybe doing a full fridge no freezer in the kitchen. If I go that route and was looking most likely at the 700 series (fully integrated) compared to the Miele. I think the BI series has more overall storage) but the compressor grill cover I think messes up the cabinet design.

So between the two, being full fridge units, what are your thoughts +/-?

I always hear the raves about the SubZero, my mom included, about how long it keeps produce & food fresh. Don't know if the Miele would be much different.

• daveliv
    13 years ago

I looked at both and went with the built in, which has more refrigerator and less freezer space than the integrated. The integrated has a slightly more modern look, without the grill on top.

The build in's compressors are on top and the integrated's compressor's are below. I think having them on top is a small advantage as they are less likely to get fouled up with pet hair or dust.

• User
    13 years ago

for a fully integrated All Fridge TODAY I'd be looking at the Miele/Thermador/Gaggenau options. The 700 series is just not modern enough and since 2 freezer drawers are not on your priority there is little else except the 27" size going for the 700. BTW, I have two of them and 600 series too, so I'm not anti SZ.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you sir.

I did see a blurb, in my home theater email, that Subzero announced integration with C4 for their Wolf Ovens and Fridges. Pretty cool the way it can work.

Out of the three (Miele,Thermador,Gaggenau) since they are very similar would the prime choice be Miele?

I am about to derail my own thread, but if I was thinking about a standalone ice maker, to put in the bar area as the source of ice since I may jettsion the freezer from the kitchen for more fridge space, whose to look at? Are these loud when producing ice?