Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrupawal

New renter

nrupawal
18 years ago

Well I just got out of college and now have been offered a good job offer that I will be accepting but I need an apartment to live in.

Here's the tricky part. In the past few years I stayed away from credit cards out of the fear of not making my paymetns and getting bad credit but now I have no credit.

Is there anyway I can rent an apartment with zero credit? (atleast its not bad credit)

Its an odd situation. I have a good job but no credit to get an apartment.

Comments (8)

• krustytopp
    18 years ago

It might help to get your new employer to write a letter indicating your salary to show landlords that you have a steady income. If you had student loans, you should already have a credit rating, even if you haven't started paying back the loan. You might need a parent to co-sign the lease.

• airforceguy
    18 years ago

Get your parents to co-sign on the lease. Usually they can just fax in their signature on the lease.

• nrupawal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for the ideas guys. I did not have any student loans. Dragged my butt thru college with scholorships.

any more ideas out there?

• talley_sue_nyc
    18 years ago

do you have a good work history? Something to show you're financially responsible? Where did you live while in college?

You can only try--you can't be the only person in this predicament.

And, if it the lack of credit rating *does* get in the way, you might try:
    -renting from a small landlord, who may have the flexibility to be more trusting and able to rely on your employer's letter (like someone w/ a 2- or 3-family home)
    -being someone's roommate at first, while you build up a credit rating (plus a rent history with them, though that'll carry less weight than one from a landlord )

Also, check into your credit rating--even though you don't have credit cards, you may have had other bills that will mean you register w/ them.

And, once you're settled, get a credit card and put your cable bill, or something, on it. And pay it off every month.

• nfllifer
    18 years ago

I dont think it will be a problem. I guess address it if it becomes one.

• nrupawal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

work history -- worked 2 oncampus jobs for all 4 years of college

living -- oncampus all 4 years

I do have my cellphone bill I pay every month.

Well my job doesn't start till second week of jan (crashing at a friends place right now) So lets see what happens...
    Will let you guys know

thanks for the info tho...

• deniseandspike
    18 years ago

You might want to check to see if your employer has a relationship with any of the area apartments. When we were going to move one time, the apartment wanted to give us a discount if we worked for one of the companies on their list--my husband's company happened to be listed. If they provide discounts for that employer they may also take you in with limited credit history.

De

• redcurls
    18 years ago

If your cell phone company extended you credit, I think a landlord would as well.....

Sponsored
More Discussions