Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
writersblock_gw

Uh oh--Bill, Mongo, any thoughts on this?

When I moved in my whole downstairs had just been tiled with 18" ceramic laid on the diagonal. The tile guy did a great job given the constraints (he was made to tile with baseboards, kitchen cabs, etc. in place). It's good and solid and no hollow spots, etc. Neighbors always want the guy's name for their units (wish I knew who did it).

Anyway, everything has been tickety-boo for four years, but just this week I noticed that a spot has developed in the dining room next to a wall where the tile suddenly gives a bit and feels crunchy if you step on it. Two full tiles and three halfs are doing this.

Now, normally I'd just figure there was some kind of problem with the subfloor, but this is tiled directly on slab. I can find no evidence of water damage in the adjoining wall.

Any suggestions for what to look for next? Outside of being over the beginnings of a sinkhole, I'm stumped. (Plumbing doesn't run near the spot--it's about four feet away at the nearest and the intervening area is fine.)

Comments (12)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

>I can find no evidence of water damage in the adjoining wall.

Should have clarified that there is no plumbing in there. On the other side of the wall is the nook for the clothes drier, another wall past that with no plumbing, then the guest bath, so water would have to travel far to pool there.

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Sounds like the adhesive has separated from the slab, because of poor prep.

If it sounds hollow, it's loose.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Not necessarily (poor floor prep, although it's a possibility).

writersblock-- let me ask you-- did they grout the floor to the baseboard, or did they caulk it? Also, by any chance, are you in Fla.?

"tickety-boo"? :-)

(must be a technical term.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm in FL, Bill. Caulk.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

The reason I asked about Fla. (the crunching is what gave it away) is there's an inspector I know who goes all over the country (a gentleman named Dave Gobis). He's literally one of the top names in the industry, as in one of the guys who helps write our specs. He's mentioned several times about the literally hundreds of installations PER YEAR he's inspected all over the state that have all been installed with unmodified thinset, which just doesn't have enough grab to hold onto a concrete slab without additive, all of which the thinset begins to crumble after a couple of years and the floor comes back up. I know this to be true from personal experience, because when I lived in Homestead, all the tile guys I worked for down there all used unmodified thinset. Every one of them. I didn't start using modified thinset until I went into business for myself, and even then it was tough bidding against other tile contractors when my thinset's running 20.00 a bag versus them paying 5-7.00 a bag. Just one of the reasons tile installations, for the most part, are so cheap down there.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Several years ago I went to FL to help out a buddy who had tile releasing from his slab, along an exterior wall.

When I started digging around in the other rooms I found a few other tiles that had released, they were all along the same wall.

They were on the south wall and southwest corner wall of his house. My best guess was that the afternoon sun was causing a bit more thermal stress on that south side of the slab, and the stresses cause the thinset bond to fail and the tiles to pop.

The tiles were set with unmodified.

While I was taking lunch one afternoon, there was construction going on a few lots over, the guys were using BEACH SAND and mixing that with portland for mortar to set CMUs.

Oh, how concrete loves salt, eh?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, guys. That makes a lot of sense, since the owner at the time did everything as cheaply as possible (we're having to replumb, too, although they had done it about five years before we moved in). Believe me, if the guy normally did use modified thinset, I'm sure they would have griped like crazy about the cost till he said, "on your own head be it."

Well, it's actually not that big a deal. I'd already known it was likely that we'd need to redo the whole downstairs when we do the kitchen since there's very little extra tile--not enough to cover the areas they left out+the changes we're making. So now I just know that's not a "maybe" anymore.

Is there anything we can do temporarily about the ones that are already loose, since I don't know how soon we'll be able to start work?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and when we're ready to do the real deal--know anyone good who works in the treasure coast area (Stuart, pt st lucie, vero)?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Pull up the tiles, clean em up with a grinder, and then go to Lowes and buy a bag of Laticrete Multi-purpose thinset, and reset them. You'll need a hammer and chisel next time.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I know a couple of people from Jax, if that's close enough.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, they probably wouldn't think so--it's about four hours from here. We're nowhere near ready to start yet, though, so maybe I'll ask again when the time rolls around.

Thanks, though.