Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cata3

Miele Coffee System Grinder Bypass

cata3
12 years ago

I am looking at this machine for my husband and son. One likes American coffee and one likes espresso and cappuccino. I don't drink coffee at all but it would be nice to use the machine for hot water for tea. I understand that flavored coffee beans such as hazelnut (which is my husbands favorite) are not allowed in the coffee grinder. Can ground flavored coffees be put in the grinder bypass section of the machine? How much coffee can be stored in the ground coffee container? Can this machine make a large 12 ounce mug of American coffee in one shot? Are these machines as repair prone as I am reading, or is it just a matter of proper maintenance? I have a place to store this in a wall next to a built in beverage center and this would keep my counters free of clutter.

Comments (11)

• Quinn_Appl
    12 years ago

Hi Cata,
    Yes, ground flavored coffee can be used this way and stored there. It will probably hold about a half bag (1/2 pound). I think the flavored syrup is a better option for that machine personally. Also, it's your machine and you should enjoy it how you want to enjoy it. If you want to grind flavored beans in the system and you don't mind paying for a new grinder down the road (approx $350) then go for it. Miele invented the built in coffee system and are on their 4th generation. There's not many service issues with the machine if maintained properly. Maintenance includes descaling and cleaning the brew unit and milk system. These are all computer programs that guide you through the steps. It's a great machine!

• cata3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Can the machine make a large 12 ounce mug of American coffee or is it limited to only small espresso and cappuccino?

• Quinn_Appl
    12 years ago

I think it max's out at 12 oz. actually. Beyond that the coffee becomes too diluted. The machine is completely programmable. Fill levels, coffee strength, temp, auto on & off, user profiles, etc.

• suzanne55904
    12 years ago

Yes, for regular coffee, it can make a large mug. When you press the "coffee" option, it will ask if you want two cups, which if you push yes, will give you a large mug full of wonderful coffee. If you don't push yes, it will give you what to me is a half cup, but is probably a European full cup.

I second what was said about proper maintenance. Granted, we've only had our Miele for about 8 months, but we've had no problems and follow all the maintenance as the machine guides you to do. My brother has had the Miele coffee system since 2005 and has had minimal issues.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's a thread from earlier in the month on Mieles. There might be some useful info for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Miele thread

• cata3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot that my husband uses heavy cream in his coffee. Can the Miele milk frother handle this or would I have to add the cream after the coffee is brewed? I have read all the Miele threads and all have been helpful and informative.

• Quinn_Appl
    12 years ago

The frother doesn't like a heavy cream. It'll work but won't produce nearly as much froth as milk. The thickness of the cream vs. narrow tubes siphoning up into the frother...

• mojavean
    12 years ago

The manual says plain milk only. Another consideration: "Heavy cream" often has industrial thickeners that may not play well with the milk pump and boiler. Personally, I wouldn't try it with mine, but it may be worthwhile to give it a go if it's important to you. If you do, I would try to find cream with no carrageenan or xanthum gum added.

But seriously, the coffee drinks with foamed milk are great as is. If you still want cream then there is no harm to add it afterward.

• weedmeister
    12 years ago

With heavy cream you might end up with cheese on the inside. Not cool.

• cata3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is actually heavy cream straight from the cow, not even pasteurized but I can see how it would clog up the lines as it is very thick. Does the coffee come out of the machine hot enough that it would take cold heavy cream and still be at a decent temperature to drink?

• taggie
    12 years ago

Yes, for regular coffee, it can make a large mug. When you press the "coffee" option, it will ask if you want two cups, which if you push yes, will give you a large mug full of wonderful coffee. If you don't push yes, it will give you what to me is a half cup, but is probably a European full cup.

Spio, it will do that but you can also program the amount to make a larger cup of coffee all the time if most of your cups are larger like ours are. Hit settings, then prog the amount, then coffee, and it will keep brewing until you hit the stop button. That amt then becomes your standard. When brewing any cop you can always hit stop sooner if you just have a tiny cup, or just want 1/2 cup.

That also works for the other settings as well, e.g. settings, prog the amt, hot water.