Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizjiff_gw

should shower bench be sloped?

mizjiff
13 years ago

We are at the tail-end of our remodel and the shower fixtures were just installed and water turned on. We have a tile bench in the corner of the shower and I noticed that the bench is completely flat and therefore, water does not drain down. Is this normal? I just assumed the bench would be slightly sloped. Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (19)

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

It SHOULD be sloped, same rate as the shower pan (1/4" per running foot, back to front), as well as waterproofed underneath.

• mizjiff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

*sigh* Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks Bill. What are the possible solutions? It won't be so easy to just rip it out and slope properly because the shower glass is already sitting on top of the bench.

• Liljon
    13 years ago

I agree with Bill. I have done alot of bathroom remodels using tile and solid Granite. I always see to it that the seats, shelves and dishes slope toward the drain by at least 1/4". Any good tile setter knows this. It should be the responsibility of the General contractor to fix the issue at his expense or even the tile setter to make it right. For now all you can do is use a squeegee to get the standing water off the surface.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Liljon's right-- it's not your problem..... unless you've given up a final check already. Make your contractor take care of it. Even if you HAVE given up the check, I'd still atleast TRY and push it with him.

• mizjiff
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU so much, Liljon and Bill! You've given me the information and the confidence to go to my contractor to get this fixed! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and expertise!

• DoggieMom
    13 years ago

These types of questions and feedback help the rest of us too, so thanks everyone!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I have a corner shower bench and was worried about this at first, although my tile guy was great, very experienced, etc. But when I began using the shower, I noticed that water pooled on the bench after use. I used a cloth to clear it in the beginning, but then I did an experiment...I left the water sitting there and it did eventually drain off! I think the slope is so slight that it's not noticeable, but the water slowly drains as it should. So you may want to make sure that's not true of yours. Bench looks perfectly level, but apparently it's not.

• doonie
    13 years ago

olychick,

You are correct! That is how my shower benches are. They look level, but are actually slightly sloped. (I still squeegee though.)

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Yeah, I have found too, that it's a non-concern. Benches aren't big enough surfaces to become problems. In any case, you still have to clean them, just like the rest of the shower and bathroom.

Whether water pooled and dried there or whether water slid off.

• wishnwell
    13 years ago

What have you all found to be the best height for the bench, especially considering older knees?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

think of chairs you like.
    barefoot you have 1" less.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

Between 17" and 19"

• computerklutz
    13 years ago

mizjiff, what a bummer for you. Hopefully you caught it soon enough they will fix. I learn so much by reading on this board.
    Bill, since you have told us hte recommended height of a shower bench, what is the typical depth part? I'm considering a shower bench, but am curious how big it should be. Thank you.

• Julie Workman
    3 years ago

WHAT can be used beneath the seat to raise it at the back to gain slope BEFORE gluing the seat in?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Pictures? How was this entire shower constructed? What is underneath where this bench is going? What is this bench made of? Perhaps you should start a new thread with these pics instead of jumping on a 10 year old thread.

• HU-501187869
    3 years ago

We can’t sit on our shower bench because we slide off and it’s a hazard to possibly breaking your back or hip. It’s made of granite and slopes 1/2” and we think that is too much slope. The builder of our home refuses to fix this problem saying there is no problem. Isn’t 1/2” slope too much?

• millworkman
    3 years ago

How wide is the bench?

• Debb Partridge
    3 years ago

I'm very concerned, Although my husband thinks I'm not picking, but our slope is very noticeable and slopes a little over 1". They just put the granite on yesterday. After reading comments, think it's a valid concern.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor