Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Brainstorming! One Big Shared Bath or 2 Minis?

hunzi
13 years ago

Hi! I live in a 127yr old Victorian, and when it was built, the bathroom was out back by the barn! About 1925, the smallest of 4 bedrooms (11x9) on the 2nd floor was converted to a bathroom - standard layout, toilet, small wall hung sink, claw foot tub with shower ring - all on 1 9ft wall. The other half of the room has a large window (now with a small radiator underneath), a closet, and a good deal of empty space. It's the only bathroom on the bedroom level - shared by all 3 bedrooms (large master plus 2 child/guest bedrooms).

We've lived with the old bathroom for years, and raised 2 kids in this house. Currently there's DH, myself and DD17 at home - sharing isn't ideal but not impossible. However we understand most home buyers want a separate master bath.

In our dream renovation, we'd add a two story addition which included a master bath and closets. Unfortunately that's not in the near term budget. So we're looking at our DIY options (we're fairly skilled).

Option 1 - Improve the current bath (9x11) - steal the linen closet and use the space for a walk in shower. Keep the rest of the bath in same locations (replace the sink with a better one). I'd have room to add a stacked laundry in a cabinet - so no more lugging laundry baskets up and down 2 flights to the basement, and a linen cabinet.

Option 2 - Split the bath into two smaller ones. Hall bath (5x9) gets claw foot tub with shower ring by the window, standard in line layout with toilet & sink. Linen closet is given to adjacent bedroom (which only has a 2x3 closet!) Other half of the bathroom becomes a small Master bath (5x9) similar layout except we'd put a walk in shower on the end where the tub is in the other bath, in line layout with toilet & sink. Shift the Master Bedroom door down the hall, so the new bathroom is just inside the master suite. No 2nd floor laundry. Note - there is NO WINDOW in the Master bathroom. A solar tube/ sky light is a possibility.

Both options would have similar finishes - probably a traditional white subway tile type look that suits the style of the house.

This is just musing at this point in time, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. Pros, cons, questions, comments!

FYI - the main level has just a tiny 1/2 bath powder room. There is a 4th bedroom on the main floor that functions as my office. There will be another full bath (9x9, standard 3 piece set up) on the basement level when we finish that off (with only a small den/media room down there). There's no room for a full bath on the main floor unless I want to sacrifice half the kitchen.

If we ever get to do the big addition, we'll tear down that 4th bedroom/office (a finished old porch), and add a two story addition with a mud room & office/alternate master bedroom with a nice full bath on the main level, and a master bath/closets on the 2nd floor. However this dream addition isn't in the budget at the moment, unless the lottery fairies favor us!

So 1 bigger, brighter lux bath with a 2nd floor laundry, or 2 smaller baths, but 1 is a Master?

Let's have a little fun!

Hunzi

Comments (18)

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you could do one bath with a separate toilet compartment, or toiler & shower separate from the sink area it could be used by more than one person at a time, and be much more functional for your family.

• jillalamedat
    13 years ago

I suspect that two smaller baths would be best in terms of resale. But if your daughter is off to college soon, for your own lifestyle one luxurious bath with upstairs laundry would probably improve your quality of life the most.

Our house originally had only one bathroom (about 5.5 x 9') on the bedroom level and a tiny powder room (3x8') on the main living level. When our two girls were about 9 and 12, we decided that sharing the one small bathroom was not cutting the mustard and it would only get worse when the girls got older. We also couldn't carve out any space for another bathroom on the bedroom level, and I personally find full bathrooms that are on floors without bedrooms to be rather useless. So even though we didn't actually need another bedroom (our fourth bedroom has essentially become a storage room), we added a master bedroom/bath and laundry room a half-flight up. This addition cost almost as much as the house, so this may be the most expensive bathroom ever (even though the bathroom itself isn't particularly fancy). But having that extra bathroom is wonderful! Another thing I love is having the laundry upstairs. It's more of a laundry closet than a laundry room (no sink), but I LOVE not having to lug laundry up and down from the garden level. Truly, I think about how wonderful it is every time I do a load of laundry.

If you're planning to stay in the house for awhile, I'd probably go for the upstairs laundry room and bathroom upgrade. You'll be able to fit in two sinks, and even though I thought that was a rather frivolous idea I find that there are many times when my husband and I both brush our teeth in our individual sinks at the same time so it's actually rather handy. If you're planning to sell soon or will have more than one other person living with you and your husband, add a second bathroom.

And if you stick with one large bathroom, I highly recommend a small separate room (with fan) in one corner for the toilet.

This is all just one person's opinion, of course!

• User
    13 years ago

I think separating it into two bathrooms would make each space incredibly small and definitely not something most people would enjoy being in.

While two is a magic number, sometimes it's better to have one fully functional, well laid out bathroom than two that are so small and cramped they are almost dysfunctional.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I think that one large, well-appointed bathroom (bathtub and separate shower and double vanity and toilet room) that allows the convenience of upstairs laundry is better than two tiny bathrooms and lugging laundry up and down stairs.

• catbuilder
    13 years ago

I vote for one large bathroom with LAUNDRY (best idea ever!) I moved my laundry upstairs, into the bathroom, and never regretted it for one minute.

• pooks1976
    13 years ago

I vote for splitting it into 2 baths. I would rather have 2 5x9 baths, than one 11x9.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

along the lines of lazygardens bath "room": i designed our kids jack & jill so they each have their own vanity and toilet off of their rooms. the bath is split into three sections, offering complete privacy. the tub/shower combo is in the middle in a "room" of it's own.

• lee676
    13 years ago

1.) Go with two bathrooms. No waiting and privacy for everyone is the ultimate luxury

2.) Get one of the laundry machines linked to below. Fits under a countertop, only two feet wide, and washes and dries a decent amount of clothes in about an hour, thanks to 240v power. A cinch to install because you don't need a dryer exhaust vent - condensed water goes down the drain. No need to allocate alot of space to a "laundry room".

3.) There are some nicely designed combined tub/showers out there now - roomy, with steps inside and out for ease of use as a shower, plus you have a tub when you want one. I like being able to quickly shower down with clean water after a bath - easier with a combined tub/shower. I don't get the current fascination with separate showers and trendy-but-you'll-be-sick-of-them-by-next-year clawfoot tubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Combination washer/dryer

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Can you post a layout of that floor, or at least of the existing bathroom with indications of what directions the adjacent bedrooms are in? I think that would help people brainstorm more.

Also, before you consider a combination washer/dryer, check out the laundry forum. Those machines seem to be hated with a passion over there, and I've heard similar sentiments from others. Maybe the Fagor is different but the common complaints about the brands I've seen discussed are that the cycle takes much longer than it would normally take to wash and dry a load, you can't have one load drying while another is washing (which cuts down on efficiency), and the condenser dryer part of it significantly heats up the surrounding room.

• lee676
    13 years ago

The Fagor is different because it runs on 240 volt power whereas most of the other combination washer/dryers run on 120 volts, which results in a long time to heat the water in the wash cycle, and an even longer time to dry the clothes. But yes, you can't put as much laundry in them at one time, or wash and dry at the same time. I'm also not familiar with that particular machine or the Fagor brand in general. I just know LG's otherwise impressive combo W/D's are all but ruined by settling for 120V/15A power. They can take several hours to clean and dry each load.

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I vote two bathrooms.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone! I appreciate all the ideas!

After re-measuring, I realized that the window doesn't sit in half the room, more like 60%, so the whole idea of spliting the room in half doesn't work. So yay! It's the one big room & laundry* idea. ;-)

I LOVE our clawfoot tub - it's original to the house (or at least the bathroom). Great soaking tub. Not so great shower, hence the desire for a separate shower. I have room for a 4.5x5ft shower in the closet space.

* I have an Asko laundry pair so 240v and stackable. I actually have a condensing dryer, and I'll admit, it has been troublesome and I recomend a vented system to anyone who's thinking about dryers. That's one advantage to moving the laundry to the 2nd floor - I have a totally below grade basement and solid masonry exterior walls (no studs anywhere on the exterior walls) so there's no way to vent a dryer in the basement. Above grade, I can at least chisel out a hole for a vent pipe in the 14in thick wall.

Thanks again! It was worth thinking about.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• gmp3
    13 years ago

A layout would be great.

We lived in a temporary apartment between houses that had a toilet and sink comected to a full bath. It was brilliant because you could have full use of the bathroom except for the shower/tub which you usually only need once a day. My opinion for what it is worth is that with older kids you will want additional sink/toilets. Another thought would be to have a door separating the sink(s) from the toilet/tub area.

• Katie S
    13 years ago

Post a layout! I vote for two baths, for sure!!! And if you post a floorplan, maybe we can help you find a way to do a laundry somewhere as well....

• still_lynnski
    13 years ago

gmp3--
    Interesting ideas. Can you talk about the advantages of a door separating the sink(s) from the toilet/tub area? I'm not the OP, but I am intrigued.

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Can you talk about the advantages of a door separating the sink(s) from the toilet/tub area?

Obviously it's an advantage when someone can be using the toilet or showering while another person uses the sink/vanity. Anyone with children or a spouse can attest to this.

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I would always prefer 2 standard sized baths to one large bathroom. I have three boys two are teens. For resale I would guess having two standard sized baths (I think 5 x 9 is a pretty standard sized bath with sink, toilet and shower or tub), would be a selling feature. That said some people might like one luxe bathroom instead.

My friend's home has a kids bath that has double sinks and a door separating that area from the toilet and tub. That way one or two kids can brush teeth, and use the mirror if one is showering or using the toilet.