Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weiss528i_gw

Bosch Induction Installation on Granite Countertop

weiss528i
14 years ago

Help ... the Bosch installation instructions indicate that the cooktop is screwed into the countertop surface to secure it in place. Does Bosch provide a something to put over the screw to mask it's appearance on the granite countertop? Are all induction cooktops secured to the countertop with screws?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

Thats strange. Maybe there is usually a special install kit for granite? You cannot/should not screw anything into your granite.

If memory serves me, most of the induction cooktops I looked at did not get screwed in place at all - they just "sit" on the counter.

I will be interested to see what you find out about this, as I am planning induction and the Bosch is on my short list.

• weiss528i
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@numbersjunkie: I sent an email to Bosch this morning. I'll post what I find out. I really want induction. I think the technology is so cool and "senior-friendly". What other inductions are on your short-list?

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm also considering Fagor, because they make the guts for many others (like Bosch) so I figure they must know what they're doing. Also because it has a slim profile and will allow drawers underneath. I've read good things about their appliances in general.

One thing I've heard about Bosch is that they are terrible to deal with. But you could probably say that about most appliance manufacturers based on what you read here.

And I was also considering KA, because I was actually able to see one and liked the look, and figured servicing might be less of a problem. But I have concerns about the heat shield and the recent comments here about the clicking sound at low temps.

Unfortunately, I'm still struggling with my layout so I have time to decide.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Hmm.. we actually have Vetrazzo which is similar to granite in this case. I just looked at ours and they cut a hole in the countertop and dropped the cooktop in. Underneath are some screws for various things including the heat shield but those connect up to the wood of the cabinet that this all sits in.

Don't know about Bosch from an appliance repair yet, but so far it has performed well. The pan clicking depends on the pan based on what others have said in other threads. Some of our pans click and some don't. It generally stops after the pan is warmed up.

You could also do a shout out to Kevin who is at AZstone or something like that...

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

Which model Bosch? The installation guide I'm looking at for a 30" and 36" models use clamps, a screw and bracket from the bottom.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Last year's 500 series in 36" series. The models changed last fall I think, so the one that is currently available is slightly different in the way the controls are set up. That sounds like what I saw when I looked tho. Will doublecheck with my GC.

• weiss528i
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@earth pal: different-good? different-bad? not sure if the new 36" 500 is as good as your old one.

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Different... personal preference... the layout I believe makes it easier to punch in the desired setting versus holding down the keypad. Could be wrong on this point, thus suggest looking at the new manual...

We did discover something last night. That keypad is very sensitive. I had laid out some of our glass tiles across the cooktop on the keypad and then left them there while running errands. Came back to make dinner and had problems with the right side burners turning on. Luckily DH came home and was able to figure out that even that little weight for several hours was not a good idea. Luckily he is a manual reader and found that by resetting the cooktop at the breaker would fix the problem.

So the moral of my story is don't lay things across your induction cooktop controls!

• weiss528i
    Original Author
    14 years ago

@earth pal: Isn't there a "lock" that you can activate so the keys wouldn't be sensitive to pressure?

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider