Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Master Bedroom Sitting Area

drjoann
15 years ago

I would like some opinions on a sitting area in the master bedroom. I was planning a very cozy little space that is a truncated octagon. It would be 8 feet across along the back wall of the bedroom and project to the outside about 5 feet deep.

The purpose of the sitting area is to give me a place to escape to for reading or doing needlework and listening to music. IÂve always wanted a glider rocker and hassock. IÂve mocked it up that size and shape. It seems to be a good fit for coziness but enough room for the furniture I want.

Our original architect told us that this space is too small and that we need to make it at least 10 feet across so that we can fit two chairs with a table in the middle. I know that this is what many plans have, but I just canÂt imagine DH & I sitting in the master, looking at each other across a little table and saying or doing what, exactly. To me, this would defeat the purpose of my having my own little "hidey hole" to get away from my DH and his humming, whistling and talking to himself when I need to. This is our retirement home & I think it makes sense for us to have planned nooks & crannies where we can get out of each otherÂs hair. LOL!!!

Do folks use the sitting area in the master or is it mostly for show? If my planned sitting nook isnÂt a good idea for resale, then I think I would rather scrap it for something like a window seat and save on the square footage rather than have a larger sitting area that I wouldnÂt be as comfy in. IÂd appreciate hearing from folks about their sitting areas and how they use them.

BTW Â WeÂre moving toward a (21st Century) Shingle Style house rather than some "Old World" type elevation. WeÂve been talking to a designer, but are going slowly trying to figure our just what it is we are looking for. IÂll keep yÂall posted on that as it progresses.

Thanks for yÂallÂs thoughts & ideas  Jo Ann

Comments (14)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

A bedroom with a table and two pull up chairs reminds me of an hotel room. A ten foot space is another whole room. It sounds like you don't want that.

That said I think the window seat or a bump out type of bay with either the window seat or room for a chair would be more cost effective.

• carolyn53562
    15 years ago

The MB in our last home was very big and had a sitting area that we never used. We cut back the size of the MB in our new house to 15.5' x 15.5 which gives us room for a chair and ottoman but no separate sitting area. But that is us and you are building for you. If you can already envision how you are going to use it, then you probably will use it. Your space sounds nice and cozy and I'd build it the way you want it.

• justmeinsd
    15 years ago

My experience is the same as carolyn53562. We had a large sitting area before that was about 10 X 10 and never used it except for putting up a secondary Christmas tree. Our new Master is 16 X 16.

• amyks
    15 years ago

Hi Jo Ann,
    The humming, whistling and talking to himself gave me the laugh of the day, so thank you! In our last home there was a tiny little nook in our bedroom and I put my lazyboy rocker recliner and a small table and lamp. I loved it, and rocked and read to my babies there, it was very cozy. In the home that we built, I have a much larger sitting area that is round like a turret, with a small kitchen area with a sink and some cabinets and a small under cab refrigerator. I love it as well. It is all windows and looks out onto our property. I read there and chat on the phone, and yes still rock kids and read to them (my youngest is 4). So what I'm saying is I loved the small space and I love the space I have now, you know what you need it for and how you will use it. If you have mapped this out and are sure everything you need will fit in there including a small table and a basket for your needlework projects, then you know what you need. Good luck!

Amy

• chisue
    15 years ago

Generally I think a sitting area in a MBR is a waste, but I think your small area FOR ONE sounds great. Our MBR has a desk w/chair and a chaise, table and lamp in addition to King bed, side chests and a bench at the foot of the bed. ONE of us will often use the chaise in the afternoon.

• tinycastles
    15 years ago

Amy-
    If you don't mind me asking, how large is your turret sitting area? The plan we were looking at has a glass turret in the master, but the dimensions are not listed, so I'm curious about yours. Is your turret at the front or back of the house?

• flgargoyle
    15 years ago

I think a lot depends on your family habits. I once considered an inglenook (doesn't THAT sound classy!) off the master, but unless I could actually separate it from the master, it wouldn't work for us. We often go to bed at different times, and the light/noise from the sitting area would distract the person trying to go to sleep. I like it very dark and quiet when I sleep; DW could sleep through anything! I just know for us, it would probably end up being wasted space.

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

I have a small sitting area in my current bedroom that I use for computer space. Its 8x10.
    In the house we are building we landed up with some extra space in the upstairs that has become a sitting area. I agree sometimes you need a space to get away.
    It's your house, I think the contractor should go with what you want. Sounds like a nice little spot to sit and read a book.

• amyks
    15 years ago

tinycastles,
    I'm sorry, I just saw your question. Ours has a radius of 9 feet, so it's 18 feet in diameter. That's according to my husband. It sounds much larger than it feels! Maybe because it is round....

It faces the back of our house, and we have about 4 1/2 acres, so nothing is back there but the deer and the fox! I really do love it.

Amy

• tinycastles
    15 years ago

Thanks Amy, good to know. I'm guesstimating that the turret in the plan is about that size. Ours would be at the front, and we are also in the country on an acreage:)

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Dr. Joann - You've thought this out carefully and planned the space for the way you want to live. The 'two chairs and a table' bit is just a cliche, and IMO, you're right about nobody using them. But a one-person cozy nook -- Fabulous! I have one in our house and in the house before last, and I just loved them. Hubby and the kids know that when I'm there, I'm on 'Me Time' and really shouldn't be disturbed unless it's important.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

My little sitting room in the Master is not very big....just enough for a comfortable chair, table/lamp, and a magazine rack...
    I LOVE to go back there and read, watch a TV program that DH is not interested in, or just enjoy "quiet"....Definately will have one in the next house we build. I didn't want it big enough for two chairs...that is what the great room is for.....this is just "for me"....and enjoy it.

• drjoann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the responses. They made us think a bit more about the space and have decided to add another foot or so of width so I can put some shelves on the non-window wall. We mocked that up & it works just fine.

Ohhh, inglenook! I want one of those so much, but I think it will have to wait until we finish the lower level.

Gosh, after I posted, I was afraid of how the comment about DH singing, humming & talking to himself would sound, so I'm glad it gave y'all a laugh. He has always been an auditory learner/thinker, but I believe it has become more pronounced since he retired. I don't want him to change, but I know that it sometimes just gets too much for me.

I kinda feel like our dogs must - we have a couple of small dogs beds tucked into some nooks in the living areas. They go there to sleep when they just want to get away. (Like the two of us intrude so much on their little doggie lives. LOL!)

The "full service" turret sounds grand! Our sitting area will carry down to the lower level, so that might be a nice place to put a small fridge, sink and coffee maker for the guest suite. We want that to have a feeling of being a self contained enclave where a house guest will feel comfortable and not as if they are intruding. (Hint: Want DD and future SIL to be willing to stay with the old folks for longer than they might be inclined if they were stuffed into a tiny guest room.)

Thanks again for the responses. I'm glad to know that so many of you like your cozy MBR sitting areas. - Jo Ann