Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Lighting over 60" single-sink vanity

Bunny
10 years ago

There's already a thread about lighting over a 60" double-sink vanity that I don't want to hijack with my question.

I plan to have a 57-58" vanity with a single sink. 60" would be a little intrusive into the toilet space, so I'm hoping I can find something 57-58".

I want one large mirror over the vanity and a recessed medicine cabinet on the side wall (where I currently have a hideous faux-oak surface mount). I definitely want mirrors that can angle for the side and back of hair.

Currently I have the original 1991 light fixture. It is not lovely to look at but it supplies 240 watts of incandescent light, plenty for the entire bathroom. I don't use the mirror for makeup, as I prefer to sit down with a magnifying mirror in my office.

I love the look of sconces and the shadowless light they provide, but two wide sconces aren't going to help much. I don't want sconces attached through the mirror.

So, I'm thinking I probably need to stick with above-the-mirror lights. Mine are currently centered at 79" above the floor. I have 9-ft. ceilings and don't want cans.

I figure I could use one larger or two smaller fixtures. I'm worried about the demise of incandescent lights so should probably be forward thinking, not to mention code here in California. What kind of total wattage should I be after? Is my current 240 too much? My bathroom doesn't feel over-bright. The room is 10x5 and the light over the vanity illuminates the entire room.

What I have now:

Comments (9)