Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

Bill/Mongo: Thinset vs. Grout???

pirula
15 years ago

Okay, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this (not good) but I thought I'd check to be sure.

A colleague at work has a brother who bought a house with an old bathroom. Some of the grout and caulk was coming out and he replaced it all with what he thought was grout, but turns out it's thinset.

I've already told her he needs to have caulk at all the change of planes. But what is up with thinset instead of grout everywhere else? Is he totally screwed? Does he need to take it all out and replace with grout?

Thanks!

Ivette

Comments (11)

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Thinset and grout are fairly similar, there are a couple of additives in one that the other might not have.

Obviously thinsets are not pigmented.

There are some mosaic installations where you back butter the sheets with thinset, pop the sheets on the wall, and let the excess squeeze out from in between the tiles. Wipe it down and you're done. Thinset serves as both thinset and grout.

So no, it's not a huge mistake.

If the house is old enough to where the tiled walls are over floated mud walls (not lightweight cement backer board), then thinset or grout in the changes of plane is fine, as there should be no independent movement between one wall and another.

It's really just with the lightweight frame construction where walls can move independent of one another where it's better to use something flexible versus something rigid in the changes of plane.

If he wants to color the thinset/grout, he can use something like Aquamix's Grout Colorant. A very god product.

Mongo

• pirula
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mongo! I did not know that about if the walls are strong, grout is okay at corners. This is all good news and I'll let them know!

Ivette

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

There's even an easier way to do it (coloring thinset). My father used to have me do this years ago when I was an apprentice going to do small repair jobs, so I could set and grout all at one time, saving me time (and him money!). Laticrete's 4237 (the original liquid latex for mortars) can be mixed with ANY unmodified grout, and it'll turn it into thinset.

• stevev97
    15 years ago

Mongo,

Where in CT do you do most of your work?

• MongoCT
    15 years ago

Steve,

I'm down by Old Saybrook/Old Lyme. Southern end of Route 9.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Steve-- If you're out of Mongo's area, where about are YOU? I know alot of tile guys around the state of Connecticut. (I'm also originally from Ct., in Orange)

• stevev97
    15 years ago

Bill/Mongo,

I'm in Wallingord.

I used to work (and play) out in Milford (Bowl-O-Mat) years ago :). Practically grew up there.

You guys do some nice work. Not only your tiling but all the help/advice you give.

After reading a lot of posts, it looks like I'm going to go the Kerdi route with my shower. One, because I don't have one full curb side on my shower, and two the shower is 42 x 60 and I may need to steal 2" on the 42 side to fit a tub, so it may not end up being a standard size.

I was going to do most of the bathroom tile myself, but having never done a shower before I could be persuaded to get some help :). I'm more than happy to take a few names.

Steve

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

One of the guys who originally taught me the trade-- his son is now a contractor up in Middletown. I don't know how familiar with Kerdi he is, though. This guy is old school, 1st generation American from the old country, and he's an excellent mechanic, and I'd feel comfortable recommending him for anything traditional, including but not limited to floating old style mud walls and floors. But Kerdi's never come up. I'll see if I can get in touch with him tomorrow. In the mean tim, shoot me an email so I have your address, and when I hear from him, I'll send off the info by email.

• stevev97
    15 years ago

Bill,

I sent it. Thanks again,

Steve

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

I got it. I couldn't get in touch with him today, but I left him a voice mail, so I hope to hear from him tomorrow morning.

• sherri_09
    15 years ago

We recently had polished crema marfil subway tiles installed in our shower. The tiles have been up for about a week and have not yet been grouted. We recently noticed that some of the tiles have started to have a whitish cast to them and look as if they have been bleached. Any ideas as to what is happening?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022