Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennye_gw

Anyone order tile online?

16 years ago

Did it arrive okay? Was it worth the savings? if you did it for this reason. Would you do it again? Where did you order from?

I ordered wood for my upstairs online and it was a good experience. I am wondering if the same applies to tile. BTW, I paid half of what the EXACT same wood was selling for at Lowes.

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

I ordered my tile for the guest bath from HD on-line and it all arrived unbroken, but it has a flexible backing and may be the reason it didn't arrive in pieces!! UPS delivered it and promptly left it by my front door in the rain. Thank goodness my DH was able to get home and move them in time before the boxes were soaked through and through.

After just going through a horrible experience with purchasing a large quantity of tile from Lowe's and having to return 2/3 of it, I (personally) would be very hesitant to order any tile on-line for delivery. This stuff from Lowe's must have been kicked, thrown and dropped. No way did they care how they handled it. I did order a large 18 x 18 from Lowe's for delivery and I pray they arrive unbroken. They are being delivered from the local store and that makes me more nervous since that's where I bought the others that were in pieces. However, the larger tiles are thicker so that may be the thing that saves them from suffering the extent of breakage I had on the wall tiles.

• 16 years ago

Yikes! What a nightmare! That is disconcerting and makes me think twice about ordering online. Thanks.

• 16 years ago

Yep, my mom tiled her kitchen, den and small bath with tiles from Lowe's. She ended up having to open boxes of tiles in the store to weed out the broken tiles. She had to make several trips back and forth after getting home and finding about 4 tiles out of each box broken. But to the credit of Lowe's they did give my mom $100 Lowe's card for all of her trouble.

I'm eyeing some glass tiles on line with the mesh back. I think they will arrive fine with proper packing.

• 16 years ago

I was blessed today with the tile situation. I returned the 68 broken tiles and decided to go look on the shelf to see if they put any new boxes out and to my delight there sat an entire pallette, freshly opened. I found a nice young Lowe's employee to sift through the tile so I could find the pieces I needed.

So my tile nightmare is over, prasie the Lord!! I guess I should have more faith. My husband has patience with this stuff, I do not. Can you tell?

• 16 years ago

Yes...many many times and have saved a fortune, even after all the shipping costs are figured in. My orders came shipped on a pallet and dropped at my house. You need to take the necessary steps (as with any order) and confirm no shipping damage has occurred. All shipments will have a time limitation on filing claims...if your tile sits for 2 month, and then when you install you find shipping damage. I have had not one instance of damages. I always open the boxes within several days upon receipt to inspect the edges and confirm the Dye Lot and Caliber numbers match so coloring and tile size is correct. Again, I do this anyways, so no big deal.

• 16 years ago

I ordered glass tiles from an online company called modwalls.com. A few of the tiles in each shipment (I think I had two or three shipments) were broken, and when I told the company, just to let them know that maybe they needed to use better packing material in the future, they immediately sent replacement ones free of charge. They are so nice, they even asked if I would provide them photos of my finished backsplash to show to potential buyers. I told them it's too bad I am STILL waiting for my tiler to become available. But I love the tile, and I loved their customer service.

• 16 years ago

I "discovered" tile store few blocks from my house which carries tile from company I was interested. The owner ordered samples for me which were delivered next day, helped with design features- I did not realized that tiles of same size from different companies will be of different sizes and thickness. I think when in doubt or have problems it is much easier to deal with a local person.
    Probably would have ordered on line if could not find locally but one place that is selling them- fastfloors is charging very high S&H.

• 16 years ago

We ordered terrazzo tiles. The only size available was approximately 24 x 24, so it was shipped on a pallet. The very bottom piece had a small corner broken off. It came from Miami to the West Coast.

We are still in the decision-making phase and this was the very first thing I just had to have. Then, when I made inquiries, everyone told me it was a discontinued color. I found a source online for much, much less, even with the freight.

I would not hesitate to order tile this way again. Actually, the weekend after our tiles arrived, we went to Lowe's and saw a lady returning several boxes of tile that had been shipped by Federal Express. I hope this wasn't Brutuses!