Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulall_gw

marble tile for bathroom floor

paulall
10 years ago

Does anyone know if honed opal white or white carrara marble are suitable for use on a bathroom floor?Does it scratch or stain easily?Thanks
Paula

Comments (5)

• kidhorn
    10 years ago

You can use it as long as the tile is floor tile. I wouldn't use marble in a shower as it's made from limestone and limestone very slowly dissolves in water, but for a normal bathroom floor as long as it doesn't have long periods of standing water, it shouldn't be a problem.

• alina_1
    10 years ago

Marble is notorious for being stained, etched, and dulled easily. If you will drop a colored lotion or shampoo on it, chances are you will get a permanent stain.

If you want a marble look, you can go with marble-looking porcelain.

This post was edited by alina_1 on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 10:47

• piscesgirl
    10 years ago

We put it in our master bathroom and I love it, but it does require extra care. We don't wear shoes in the bathroom, we have throw rugs in the critical spots and I clean it every week.

I love marble. We are getting ready to do our hall bathroom and rather than do marble on the floor we are going to put it on the walls and do a porcelain on the floor (probably wood tile). I don't mind the upkeep in the master bathroom but in a hall guest/possible kids bath marble is just not practical. That's just my opinion.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We have non-honed carrara tiles on the floor of both bathrooms and I love it (and take no special care with it either). I think I might re-grout it at some point, but the marble itself (which has been there for at least 12 years, maybe as many as 20) is beautiful.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

It depends on you. If you expect your floor/shower/counter to look like brand new after 5 or 10 years of daily use, marble is not for you. Get porcelain tile with a marble pattern, or, if you have the $$$$, look into thin slab porcelain.

Try this test, if possible. Visit a state or county building built before WWII and you'll probably find square yard after square yard of marble floors, wainscoting, etc. Older bank buildings (and some newer ones) have marble for the teller counter. From far off, it all looks magnificent. Get up close and take a look with a critical eye - the dull surface in the highly used areas while the corners might still shine; stains, scratches, etc. While your bathroom won't have 70 years of wear, it won't look brand-new-perfect. If that's acceptable to you, get marble.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County