Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedona_heaven

Who owns my design?

sedona_heaven
12 years ago

We are working with an interior designer/contractor who works with an engineer (I'll be hiring my architect friend across the country to review the drawings as we haven't found a local architect we like in our little frontier town).

We're going to do a contract for the design phase, then for the construction drawings, and then for the construction. He said this protects us so we can always bid out a later phase if we choose (though there are savings if he builds for us). I haven't been able to find a sample contract for the design phase of a design/build agreement on the web - they're either for architects or contractors or interior designers. Does anyone know of any resources?

Also, who owns the design? See below. Seems odd that I'm paying a lot of money for something that is not mine?

8. Ownership of Design.

We shall retain ownership of the design, including any drawings, renderings, sketches, samples, or other materials prepared by us during the course of the Project. Our ownership shall include any copyrights, trademarks, patents, or other proprietary rights existing in the design. You shall not use the design for additions to this Project or for any other project without obtaining our permission and paying appropriate compensation.

Comments (3)