Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimsters_gw

Bathroom Remodel Double or Single Vanity

aimsters
16 years ago

I am remodeling a small masterbath which originally had a shower/bath and two vanities. We are not trying to seperate the shower and bath, as well as keep access to our closet from the bathroom. We are contemplating a small 60" (the max we can do) double vanity or one large single vanity. Is it bad for resale to only have one vanity or is 60" good?

Comments (15)

• ritamay91710
    16 years ago

We changed our double to a single, people have told me that I am crazy, but I don't care. Hubby and I have never had to get ready at the exact same time, so that has never been an issue with us. Our new vanity is 48 inch. Our bath is not large, so I think this will help open it up a bit. Like you, we didn't want to change the footprint of the bathroom, I think I will be happy with it once it's all done.
    Good luck!!

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

I also gained some valuable space in our remodel by going with a single vanity. DH and I were never at the sink at the same time anyway, and I'd rather have a seating area to put on makeup I decided. We are in still deep into it (and dust! and more dust!) but I think it was a good decision for us. I didn't really weigh resale value at all, I live here now and I wanted it MY way. YMMV of course.

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

If you are worried about resale value you can always rough in the plumbing for a second sink and then if someone wanted two sinks they would just have to swap out the vanity top to make it happen with very little work. I personally was glad to put a second sink in our new bathroom but whether you prefer the sink or the counterspace depends on you and your lifestyle. You should go with what works for you.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

If you want to have the best of both worlds, you can do what we did: we figured that access to water is what the notion of two sinks is about, so we got a very wide sink and put a faucet on either side. DH and I can use it at the same time, all within 54" :) and I have only one sink to clean (it's a nice easy one, too--the Ikea Hollviken--there are other nice big sinks too--Ira Wood has many of them).

Not for everyone, just an idea.

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

We went with one sink on our recent bathroom remodel (a nice sized under-mount) and put in a 72" stretch of granite. We find we love the extra countertop space and don't miss two sinks at all.

• don_chuwish
    16 years ago

We're doing the opposite, putting in a double vanity to replace a single pedestal sink. We are tight on space as well but found a reasonably priced double at only 57" long at costco.com. It's the New Waves Bali. Only problem we had at first was finding faucets that fit the odd sinks, but after much hunting on faucetdepot.com we're all set.

- D

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Had a further thought about our setup: I have to say I "thought of it" because I saw it in a European magazine. It's done much more often over there (space issues) than it is here.

I do love it :)

• april2929
    16 years ago

Flyleft, could you post a pic of the double-wide sink? I have been wanting to put in a wide sink with two faucets but most of the sinks I've found have been budget-busters!

• vtpoppy
    16 years ago

We had a 60" double sink vanity ordered and changed it at the last minute to a single sink. The plumbing is in place for 2 sinks if we every change our mind. So far so good, I like having the long stretch of counter for drying my hair, putting on makeup, etc. And it's nice to only have one sink to clean.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Well, april, I probably could :) Bear in mind it's not finished yet--we still have to put on one more line of rock mosaic around the backsplash and the front cover to the metal supports for the counter, but I'll get a pic posted tonight when DH gets home. I'm *very new* to the pic-posting thing so he has to do the technological part of it.

• sholt576
    16 years ago

flyleft- I'd love to see a pic too. I looked up your sink from another thread, and have a hard time visualizing it.

I'd much rather have more countertop than an additional sink, so I think a wider sink w/two faucets might be perfect.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Well, we got home *fried* from track practice (the moms exercise too) and just sat down and watched an emotionally wrenching show on PBS...I completely spaced this until just now.

I'll try to do it tomorrow.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Okay Fly....I'm back from vacation and thinking about my new bathroom! Let's see some pics! ;-)

We too have space constraints and are going with a 48" vanity and a huge "Man's Sink" (what the...?) from Kohler. I am not too excited about only one sink (although less cleaning is a good thing) but I figure we can simultaneously spit toothpaste into a 24" sink and still be happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big honkin' sink...

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Personally I think it's bad for resale, and at least would try for the double faucet, large sink solution, but I had a bit of trouble figuring exactly what your said...so I want to ask if there is a typo? You are currently "noT" trying to separate the shower and tub? Or you are "noW" trying and that's why you haven't the space?

I ask this because I went from a master with just a tiny shower (less than 3' each way) to a master with both a shower (not huge, not small...3' x I think 5.5') and a tub, and I got two vanities out of the deal. I did this by using an unusual shaped tub, an Americh Japanese soaking tub. It's very tall, but only 40x40, so it allowed me the extra 34 or so inches I needed to give DH his own sink and cabinets. (Otherwise the poor man wasn't going to have a place to work in) :oP