Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seabright007

About to build this plan and need help with reveiwing it!

seabright007
10 years ago

My husband and I have been working on a house plan for the last 6 years. This is the plan we have come up with so far. I still think it needs work. I personally think that the foyer seems too tight and I don't like the location of the pantry, and the great room also seems too tight. What do you think?

Comments (4)

• bpath
    10 years ago

When you come in from the garage, you have to skirt the breakfast table, then the dining room table, then the stairs, all to get to a bedroom. When you come in the front door, you have to skirt the stairs and squeeze past a pinch point to get to the dining room or great room. So those could be straightened out. In fact, why not turn the stairs to come down into the great room?

The dining room is pretty open to the kitchen, as well as the breakfast room, so it looks like too many tables too close together.

I rather like the kitchen and its views, but the range may be a little far away from everything, I can't read the measurements. I there anything blocking the view of the range from the dining room?

Not much privacy in the bathroom, if someone is heading into the closet.

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

I am going to assume you entertain because you have 2 dining spaces. Unfortunately I don't think this is the best plan for that. The entry is difficult to navigate. The area there is so tight that welcoming guests or saying goodbyes is going to be uncomfortable. There is nowhere for anyone to move around.

The kitchen is open to the formal dining room as well as the foyer. I don't care for that. I also don't like having 2 dining areas open to each other. I think there is a lot of traffic going through the breakfast area, garage and patio access, for a relatively small space. I agree the pantry is in an awkward space.

If you are set on the 2 dining areas, How about pulling the garage up just a bit to make the entrance to the house land where the refrigerator is? You could move the ovens over by the formal dining room and slide everything else on the wall down to make room. Turn the table 90 degrees. That would give you more of a room back there.

The living room looks like it is going to be a challenge to furnish. Is that your intended layout? Where will people sit when you entertain?

Who will live here? How big is your property? Which way will the house face? Views?

• seabright007
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your comments! I agree that the flow is off. The square footage on the main floor is 2087 just to give you a better idea of the space. Also, right now it is just my husband and I we are newly married and plan to start a family in a year or so. I would like to move the island more in the center of the kitchen. Do you think we should wall off the dining room? Please keep the comments coming I do not want to build something that doesn't flow.

• MarkZrealty
    10 years ago

As a real estate broker for 15+ years, I can tell you the stairs right in front of the entry is a big problem for those that have it. I can't tell you how many homes didn't sell, had to be reduced, or redesigned just because of the stairs location. Nobody likes to walk through a door and have steps go immediately up the stairs. Maybe if your foyer was larger you could get away with it by curving it some more away from the front door. Its also considered bad feng shui, which I don't practice, but I & the sellers got tired of hearing about it every time we received bad feedback about the stairs issue. It's an easy fix to eliminate it now. You're not thinking resale now, but you should, because you will. ;-)