Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

Floorplan/exterior critique!

broston2
9 years ago

Getting closer... I haven't changed much, but any more critique on the floorplan? Here is exterior elevation. Color will be more gray/taupe with either black/dark brown roof. Gables will have decorative standard king trusses.

Comments (12)

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

closer view

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

front

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

side (windows have been changed to double hung)

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Where are the stairs to get to the basement?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Do the basement stairs have a half-wall or a full wall separating them from the LR? Just thinking that there's not a lot of wall space in there for shelves, for books, games, etc.

Not sure what you'll have in the basement, but do you think you'd like a utility sink for the laundry and mudroom?

I'd extend the front porch all the way across the bedrooms instead of cutting it off in The middle.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Very cute house. Very efficient. Nice size family room for the size of the house.

I don't know how many kids you have or the sq ft of the house but this is what I would do if this was the house I was building.

Extend the porch over like bath home says. It will improve an already pretty front.

Stub for a basement bathroom.

Get rid of the powder room altogether. I have this exact same powder room in my house right now. I detest it.

Use the powder room space for kids drop zone.

Put a door on utility/laundry/pantry/closet area making that a large multipurpose room that can be shut off...when it's a mess. Your laundry room is too small as it is and will drive you batty as mine does. This will open up your laundry work space. Take that door off.

Who ever made the rule that there has to be a powder room? I see no reason why this house can't just have two bathrooms. And a future bath in the basement.

Nice house.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

How will people approach your house? Both on foot and in a car? If they will approach from the same direction as your perspectives (from the right hand side/the opposite side from the garage, then your front door should be reasonably accessible and visible to them.

If, however, you will have a single driveway and so any guest would likely come from that driveway and then need to walk ALL the way AROUND the garage to find/get to your front door (that is assuming they know it is on that side of your house, and not looking for it on the garage door side of the house), you need to rethink your plan a bit.

You still need to do something else about that powder room door. As you can see in the image, a person would have to sit on the sink to get the door closed before they could access the toilet. This is also a safety hazard. Consider the use of a pocket door in this location.

If you get torrents of rain in your location, your front door is going to need an excellent gutter system to shed all the water that will be coming down onto it from both gables as well as the little porch roof.

For the front BR closest to the stairs, switch the door swing so that the door opens against the wall and doesn't "float in space" when open.

Same with the deck door from dining. Open it against the windowed wall, not so it "hangs in space" when open. Incidentally, I believe you'll also have to have tempered glass there due to that door. But, that is something to check with the inspector about before you order your windows.

The outswing master door is ... unconventional. Consider moving the door "wall" to be even with the hall, and then you could have a more typical inswing door that still occupies that entry space to the master.

Do you want to see your toilet from your bed? I'd probably switch the location of the sink and the toilet in the master bathroom.

Man door to the garage--again swing that door against the wall when open, not floating in space when open.

Consider, again for safety, moving your cooktop OFF the island. A good, safe, useful place for it would be on the other side of the wall from the laundry/mudroom area. You can keep your oven in the island if you like that layout, but moving the hot cooktop off is a good safety measure. Additionally, it will be safer to cart a hot pot of water from stovetop to sink in my proposed new location than potentially backing/rotating into someone in your work zone and spilling the hot water all over yourself and them.

HTHs!

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the input!

The stairs to the basement are in the living room. There will be a wood/iron railing in the living room. I'm ok with the amount of wall space. Since there will be area to the left of the entry and wall space on the stairwell for photos, etc.

I don't see a need for a utility sink

We thought about extending the front porch, but It looks quite odd on the end since it sticks out 5 ft.

My husband and kids get very dirty quite frequently, so i'd prefer the powder room where it is. My mother has the same set up, and hers is used a ton. The kids have a dropzone right across from the pantry closet (7 ft. of benches/cubbies). I feel like this is adequate. Also, opposite the doorway so not visible if it is messy.

I like my laundry room this size, as we fold laundry in our bedroom or living room and then put away. I'd rather have space in a living area than in my laundry room.

Still thinking about the powder room door. I feel like a pocket door would just be too much of a pain to open and close, since I think it will be used frequently.. still up in the air. I understand completely what you mean. Thank you.

That first bedroom door/closet situation has just been an ongoing issue, and I feel like there's no great way to solve it! I think I will swing the door into the closet and hope my kids keep their closet neat enough to get into the room!

I think we are special ordering a back door to open out so space is not taken up by the door swinging in. It won't be a big deal for it to swing out. Then it would swing out against the house, if that makes sense.

The master door/hallway situation was created so we would be able to get furniture in and out. There is a small walkway no matter what, it just seems a bit better to have more space in the hallway. The door will stay open 90% of the time anyway.

I do understand seeing the toilet from the bed. This doesn't bother me, but if it does I can just close the door. I don't want to put the vanity against the shower. We may not have a door, but a curtain. This will lead to water damage on the side of the cabinet (have had that issue in our home now) so i'd rather be more practical.

Will change the swing of the garage door. thanks!

I'm keeping the stove on the island as I don't want to stare at a wall while cooking, but thanks for your input!

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

You're welcome!
    2 more cents--
    we have 2 pocket doors on 2 of our bathrooms that are used frequently daily--no issues with the doors being a "pain to operate".
    I spend a lot more time prepping than "cooking" when I cook. (do you really stand for hours or even 10s of minutes AT the stove?) I turn to stir something every now and then, but spend all my real time prepping. Your island could be a great prep space, and then you'd be facing out. Just a thought.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would you then put sink in the island and the stove along the bottom wall? I feel like windows will look a little odd and I would never look out of them?

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

{{gwi:1433579}}From Kitchen plans

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd consider a prep sink in the island (you can keep the main sink for dishes/ "clean up" sink at the window. Use the prep sink for washing veggies, etc, or a quick drink cup refill by the kids, so they don't need to enter your work zone.

Also, I like LL's suggestions.