Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaymielo_gw

kats... Trim installation question

jaymielo
15 years ago

Hi Kats, I'm hoping you are still lurking around because I was just looking through your album again and have a question about your finish trim.

My GC called me yesterday and was curious, on our door and windows, where we wanted the division between the stained and painted areas. I poured through your pictures looking for an open door so I could see if you jambs where painted or stained, but you were just too orderly when you shot your pics! On your "painted trim, stained doors" are the jambs painted or stained. The same would apply on your windows, but I think it is pretty clear from this picture that you stained the entire window and frame and just painted the trim pieces that went on later.

One of my GC's concerns was that they usually caulk where the door jamb or window frame meets the trim when you have painted trim and that was as the wood expands/contracts, you don't see "gaps". Do you know how you painters handled this?

Thanks so much in advance! .... or if anyone else has any words of wisdom, please feel free to comment. Jaymie

Comments (9)

• kats
    15 years ago

Hi Jaymielo.

I still check this site about once a week but seldom post. I'm glad I checked it today for you. I hope the information will help.

The jambs are white (just like the trim) on all interior doors and also all bifold closet doors. All windows have stained jambs. We wanted the windows to have depth and by doing that I think the stain helped (like white could not) to warm the rooms. We did stain our French door jambs...the outside is white trimmed to match our eves and pillars. We did that because we have 9 sets of French doors most next to the deeper stained windows. I don't think it looks bad when the door is open to see the stained jamb against the white outer side trim but I don't think I would have like that on the inside doors and closets. Just my preference.

Stained interior view of French doors and stained jambs against the white exterior side of the open French door

deep stained window jambs against white trim.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kats,

Thank you so much for the additional information. It looks like ours will be consistent with yours. I told our GC to paint the interior door jambs, but our french doors will be just like yours because they are also in long banks of windows. Your pictures really help me visualize and I'm printing the new ones off right now to take out to my GC so that there are no misunderstandings. Pictures help so much so I don't always have to doubt if I was using the right jargon. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I hope you are still enjoying your beautiful home!

Jaymie

• kats
    15 years ago

Your very welcome.
    We ARE enjoying our home. It's so nice to be in after such a long build (3 years). The important thing is that DH now says for the first time in his life he understands why some people say they just don't want to leave their homes on weekends. We had a beautiful home before but were always doing "away" things on weekends. Now we enjoy this house so much it's a pleasure to just stay home!

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kats, It is so nice to hear you are loving your house so much you don't want to leave. i hope we create the same feel in our new home. Just tonight we stood in our 1/2 completed rooms and all I could say is "I love this room". I can't wait until we are done. The next two months will probably prove to be sheer agony. I absolutely cannot imagine a 3 year build. You are an saint. Thanks again for the pictures and information. Jaymie

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Try imagining 5 going on 6!! LOL You talk about agony.

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, I DON'T know how you have done it! You are definitely getting there though. Paint and trim are up, right? It will all be worth it in the end. A fabulous creation with so much love and sweat equity poured into it.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

jay, I don't know how I do it either. There are the highs and lows. Yes, paint and trim are complete, lighting fixtures are up, tiling has begun in guest bath. When we do our June updates I'll post current photo's.

The thing is after the house is finished we then have to go out to the garage and finish it. We do animal rescue work so we have animals who will be using the garage for sleeping and they'll have a built on free access enclosure/play area. All this has to be built yet and we basically have to finish the garage like we did the house with insulation, special wall treatments, floor painting, electrical and plumbing and then we have to put up the wooden fence around the yard. In a normal build this would happen in a week. With us of course it will take about 2 months.

We are getting there slowly, but surely though and that's what's important. I was so hoping to get in for this Christmas, but I'm not sure if it will happen. May end up being beginning of 09. Sigh, at this rate our house will stay forever new because we won't ever really live in it, only dream of it. LOL

It seems the closer we get the more anxious I become. After all this time you'd think I'd be relaxed. LOL

• jaymielo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

brutuses, I know it is slow, but what an accomplishment! Try not to think about that garage yet. Once you are in, won't that be so much easier? You will be settled in our wonderful home.

I understand about the anxiousness. We've only been at it since Thanksgiving, but my anxiety increases daily. I just want to see these 3 trillion choices come together so I can figure out where I messed u.

So looking forward to the June thread to see your new pics! j.

• kats
    15 years ago

Brutuses,

I remember "talking" to you when we were building. I think you said your husband is building after regular work hours right? That's why it's taking so long. We bought 4 years ago this June and that didn't including a year long escrow (the guy we bought it from kept pulling it back). Anyway, we have some wonderful "neighbors" who are building next door (he is) who bought their lot about the same time we finally closed our escrow. They're building an 8400 sq ft home on a mountain side (10 acres) and as of now they haven't even done footings. Most of the time has been spent on grading, moving oak trees ( protected by law where we live) and building a retaining wall... but not just any retaining wall...the mother of ALL retaining walls. Beautifully done. They planted rosemary to drape over the top of it...the rosemary is established already, that's how long it's been there. The husband teases that they're really not neighbors yet but I told him yes they are, b/c he's there every day come rain or shine...he just doesn't sleep there yet.
    Anyway, if you ever get down about the time yours is taking just think about this couple....... should pick you right back up.