Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2poos1baby4me_gw

Redi Tile or Hot Mop Shower Pan?

2poos1baby4me
10 years ago

First time home remodeler here. Time to spice up 1960's master bath, including the shower. I see there are tile ready pre-formed shower pans or liners 72" x 37" (or other sizes) available. My contractor frowns on these and says it's better to "hot mop." Now other than cleaning floors with a hot water and soap which I know is not what he is talking about, is there really advantages to a hot mop process over a pre-form shower pan? any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (3)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Do people actually hot mop shower pans anymore? It is hot tar, put on in layers. That is how my shower was installed in 1978. It is currently being remodeled. One thing about that hot mop procedure...the guy put on many layers and said he guaranteed that this shower will never leak. It never did despite earthquakes.

-Babka

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Hot mop is a west coast thing, mostly California.

Honestly? I've heard of a lot of folk having issues with RediTile pans. Usually at the pan/wall junction. Sometimes leaks around the drain. I've touched a RediTile pan, but never installed one.

I think were it my choice, I'd take a well-executed west coast hot mop over a RediTile pan.

Again, just my opinion.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

My master shower was hot mopped last year. My hall shower got kerdi.

I was surprised (but maybe should not have been) to find that the hot mopping is done by a 3rd party, as a specialty. Cost about $350 in my case, 7 ft x 42 inches with a bench.

The 40 year old one that I tore out to remodel was still in perfect shape, with zero evidence of leaks.