Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlthomas7_gw

are there shower stalls that don't need glass?

rlthomas7
13 years ago

We're planning on doing a shower stall and a whirlpool tub for our new bathroom, but I've never been a fan of shower stall doors. Are there any that I can use a curtain with? I have to say that I love the color and texture that a curtain adds, and dread cleaning shower doors. But I can't picture a shower stall that wouldn't get water everywhere without a door.

A note on price - while this isn't a low-budget operation, the bathroom is part of an 800 sf addition, so cost is definitely an issue.

Comments (5)

• chrisk327
    13 years ago

My parents had a shower stall. ie tiled on 3 sides, open on 1 with an acrylic base with a curb. Had a shower curtin on it with a liner on a tension rod. as long as you made sure the curtin was to both sides it didn't let water out.

• sherry326
    13 years ago

I recently got rid of the glass in two showers at my house. My bathroom was remodeled to have 3+ walls, and the other bathroom already had 3 tiled walls, so that one was easy.

I am amazed at the fact that no water gets on the floor whatsoever in my new shower. With the glass door, water always dripped out when the door was opened.

I have a fabric shower curtain in the guest bathroom, and just a clear shower curtain in mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my bathrooms.

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

There are *lots* of possibilities. Here are two. One is kind of like a labyrinth, with an extra wall behind which the shower is tucked. That one takes a bit more space, but not much. Was it Claire de Luna who had it? SO beautiful. I tried to find it online but it appears she's removed the pics at some point in the last three years. No curb, not even a shower curtain needed, and a great showplace for tile :) If I'd had a bit more space, I would have done this. It's my favorite configuration.

Another is a 'wet room' kind of shower with a raked floor rather than a raised curb. It definitely takes more space and has issues with heating so you don't get cold from the big open space. It can be done, though, esp. if you live in a warm climate. Sometimes hard to retrofit wrt floor heights. I see this done mostly with contemporary/modernist baths.

• baxter01
    13 years ago

I don't have glass in my shower and no water gets out. You just need to make it large enough. Mine is 4X5 feet.

• teamtdc
    13 years ago

We built our shower stall intending to install a glass door. We may still but in the meantime I made a shower stall curtain with waffle fabric in a pale beige and I love it. The plain vinyl curtains in shower stall size needed underneath can be hard to find and only seem to come in white.

Rather than keep the curtain closed as I normally would I leave it open to show off the tiles. It gives a soft feel to the bathroom. I'll probably used some leftover fabric to line baskets or make guest towels (with trim from the fabric I'll use for the roman blind).