Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcstevensonaz

Separate Ice Machine / Samsung FD without water and ice?

rcstevensonaz
14 years ago

Two questions about the option of having a separate ice maker instead of buying it built into the refidgerator:

1. Does anyone have experience with stand-alone ice machines? I'm considering an Electrolux ice maker and wonder if that is a good investment.

2. Is it possible to get a 26ft Samsung FD refidgerator without water or ice? From what I read, the 29' cannot be purchased without water/ice installed.

Thanks,

Craig

Comments (4)

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

I can answer one of your questions. Yes, it is possible to get a 26 ft Samsung FD without water and ice in the door. I've ordered one. But I think they all get icemakers in the freezer.

• toomuchstuph
    14 years ago

We just purchased the Electrolux icemaker last weekend Craig. Hookup seemed pretty easy (so they told me). If you want, I'll review it in a month or so.

If possible, try to look for a local warehouse type sale at your appliance store. That was what spurred our purchase. DH was able to get this one at about 40% off.

• lee676
    14 years ago

The ice produced by separate ice machines (at least those that utilize a water drain) make much better ice - crystal clear and odorless - not the cloudy white cubes or crescents from your refrigerator's icemaker.

• debrawnelson
    14 years ago

I had a separate icemaker in my former house (kitchen of my dreams renovation and then we moved) and it is what I miss more than anything else from that kitchen--it turned me into an ice snob. The icemakers with drains produce what is called "wet" ice; the temperature is set so the ice is constantly slowly melting (thus the need for the drain) and the icemaker is producing new and fresh ice to keep the bin full. That's why the ice is clear and odorless. Plus I much prefer the shape of the cubes produced by separate icemakers. I absolutely hate the ice in refrigerators, and this is the main reason I was holding out to see the new Electrolux French door refrigerator--the ice is supposedly "improved" even though it is still "dry" ice. I've now seen a photo of the ice from the Electrolux and, although I like the shape better, I don't think that alone is reason enough to buy that fridge.

Be aware that some installations require a pump to drain the water from the icemaker. That's our situation--too long a straight run to get the water where it needs to go--and the main reason we aren't putting one in our house. Otherwise I'd gladly give up a cabinet for an icemaker. Of course, we live in a hot climate and have a pool, so we use a lot of ice.