Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farm4gal

How do you keep a stone backsplash clean?

farm4gal
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We are just going to change our counters to sliver pearl granite. Love the ruff stacked stone look with the bigger pieces of stone. We were going to do one row along the granite, but was wondering how it would stand up near the stove and behind the sink? Could I do the stone on the long wall and above the desk and a textured glass tile on the other side? Did find at home depot the have a stainless steel backsplash for behind the stove. Do I need to do what ever I choose all the way up to the bottom of the cupboards to look good?

Comments (25)

• farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here are a couple other photos. Left on is the granite and bottom one is flooring.
    Top right is a glass tile I would like to find here in Canada.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    I had considered doing the stacked stone under our cabinets when we were building this summer and found a picture on houzz and asked about it. The builder and several others told me not to use it. It's pretty to look at in the kitchen, but does not clean up and gets ruined.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Cabinet resurfacing! It's the best and cost effective thing!
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I'm only able to do the countertops, backsplash( hence the question about what I should do with it) and paint wall's and ceiling right now. Maybe somewhere down the road the cabinet's.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    The stacked stone you like is beautiful but no, it is not easy to clean. The rough texture really grabs food particles and the crevices are hard to get into. I would save that for elsewhere in your home. Your kitchen is not large enough to start mixing and matching backsplash materials. One material used all over, right up to the cabinets will give you the best look and will be the easiest to care for.

A slate and glass mosaic will give you a touch of that stone texture and used with a high performance grout will be easier to care for.

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Brittan Heights Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Here is my 2 cents. It's easy to get excited and rush into a project before really thinking it through. What I mean is that once you invest $$$$ a lot of money on a counter, backsplash and flooring you may regret not doing the cabinets and then it will be too late. If you could save for another 6 months or a year and do it all at once would you choose to do it all? I can't tell if the cabinets interiors are in good condition and work for you as far as storage etc. The cabinets look in good condition from the photos but I would remove the scalloped wood valance from over the sink because it dates the entire room.

I feel your selections are fresh and add to the Country style of your cabinets except you may find the very dark granite a bit too black. There are other mostly black options that do have bits of brown and green and even blue that are very subtle but would give you a warmer overall balance with your backsplash, flooring and cabinets. I use Custom Granite in Stoney Creek because they have 2,000 slabs in stock. Make sure the installers measure so that the lip of the granite wraps over the edge of the cabinets but doesn't interfere with the dishwasher and other drawers.
    You may find similar tiles at a Carpet ONE store or any good local tile supplier. They won't be a stock item so you will need to order them in. If the cost is too high then make a focal behind your stove with 3 by 4 square feet (approx.) and finish the rest in a flat finished ceramic tile that works with the mid-tone grey/green.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Nice post Joanne - very helpful!
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the great info ct design studio and Joanne. The cabinets are in excellent shape considering how old they are. I also have tonnes of storage. The picture isn't very good of the granite, it is mostly a grey color with some black and silver. Would it look good if I use a stainless steel behind the stove and did the rest something similar to what ct suggested? Definitely agree about the valance over the sink.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    If you opt for the look ct is suggesting- which looks great- I feel it should be used throughout. These back splashes are coated. You can use higher quality grouts that resist absorbrion - ask about them because an extra $100.00 for grout could be the best insurance deal ever. Check out http://www.mapei.com/CA-EN/ Mapei which is available at a number of big box and independent dealers. Good luck! Follow me If you plan on posting the after photos so I can see ;)
  • chaski
    11 years ago
    ss behind the stove up to the cabinets... Stone or mosaic or glass under the cabinets is just too textured and hard to keep clean from mixing and cooking splatters....Let the granite and its visual texture be the star. IMO the 2 counters/walls of Brittan Heights are too busy. Textured walls are visually fine w/ say ss or solid surface/color countertop--but still a bear to keep clean, especially the grout. I think you're better off getting the granite counter w/ 4" granite backsplash and painting the walls under the cabinets. You can get thinner 1/2" granite for the backsplash--not as thick as the countertop.If the granite backsplash is too pricey, just paint those under the cabinet walls w/ a silicone seal along the seam where counter meets wall--have the counter installers seal that seam but paint the walls before they install.
    Was there once an exhaust fan in the empty space over the stove? Since you say you have tons of storage....consider eliminating those 2 short cabinets over the stove--they're impossible to reach anyway and don't look good to my eye.... Replace them with a ss exhaust fan with exhaust to the outside--not necessarily a chimney-type with pipe going up.Have the ss backsplash behind the stove reach up to the bottom of the fan....SS fan and ss backsplash would help integrate the ss stove which dominates the space.
    Is that a tile floor? I'd reconsider the silver pearl granite--beautiful as it is!--with this color/texture flooring. Have you seen a dark leathered chocolate granite??? It would be more compatible with your tile floor.See https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pls-help-im-trying-to-find-matching-c-dsvw-vd~34621 down to pic by Michigammemom.
    Hope this helps. good luck.
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks chaski for the good comments. The floor is not a real tile, it's a linoleum. I can't put an exhaust fan above the stove because there is a room behind the kitchen and there is a second floor above it. Found I don't really like the tiles that are too skinny, too many grout lines. Still looking.
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Checked out the valance over the sink. If I remove it I will have two screw holes on each end as they screwed it thought the end cabinets. Not sure if I want to look at two holes?
  • lisianthus
    11 years ago
    We used the epoxy grout on our counters and it cleans up really well, not like the old fashioned grout that stains. For the backsplash I would opt for a smooth tile that can be scrubbed clean rather than rough stone. I have both in my home and the stone is a pain to clean, because of all the nooks and crannies and the porousness.

You don't have to, but in my experience, if you go all the way up to the cupboards, it will look superior. You could incorporate some design in the area behind the stove also; some accent tiles or whatever.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Fill screw holes with wood filler and sand. Dab with permanent brown marker - darker is always better and wipe. Only you will ever see the old holes ... ;)
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks lisianthus for the excellent comment. I don't have tile anywhere else in the house so it's good to get info from people with experience. Thanks too Joanne I will look into that. Behind the valance is just an ugly light bulb, so would have to find some kind of light. Then a valance for the window or can I just keep the blind?
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    You could install a non venting hood fan. SS at HDEP about 199.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Avoid a really rough texture. If you want to use a bit of texture, say brick, you can cover backsplash with abutting sheets of clear lucite screwed in place. This looks very handsome and is a breeze to clean with Windex..
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Candace 66 but I had replaced the stove and hood only a few months ago, before I had found this website. So I am kind of stuck with the one I have, and it is a non venting one.
    Nevadan thanks for the comment. You wouldn't have a picture of what it would look like do you? Where can you buy lucite?
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just in the process of filling some holes right now. Then I have to prime everything because it was painted in oil and you can't buy oil now.
    Also wondering what to do with the really ugly corner glass cabinet? Just a textured glass? I don't have any nice dishes to put in there and there is not light in it.
  • chaski
    11 years ago
    Re my earlier comment suggesting 1/2" thick granite 4" high for the backsplash. I think you misunderstood: I'm not saying granite "tiles" with their grout issue for the backsplash--I'm saying a slab of 4" high x length-of-counter granite backsplash using 1/2" thick granite (cheaper and less chunky looking than counter-thick granite)--with walls up to cabinets painted semi-gloss for easy cleaning.
    Re wood and cloth valances....not needed to my eye. Blinds alone are fine....
    Re ugly bulb. Have you considered getting rid of the bulb & installing a couple of recessed LED lights over the sink? that is, after you eliminate the valance as others have suggested.
    Re "ugly glass cabinet." Take out the glass flower (?) panel and replace with frosted glass since you say you have no display dishes. Easy and effective fix.
    Re cabinets: seriously consider painting them for the style and finish look dated. No amount of $$$$$$$ spent on granite counters will change the look and feel of your kitchen as much as the visual impact you can expect from renewed cabinets with new knobs and pulls Most cost-effective and visually pleasing and emotionally uplifting. Big bang for your buck. Reconsider what Joanne Jakab suggested in her 1st paragraph.
  • farm4gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks chaski for the comments. I do understand what you meant with the backsplash same as counters and then paint. I've been living with the laminate backsplash counters for years with it painted to under the cabinets and wanted to get away from that look. That was why I decided to change the counter so I could do a nice backsplash. As for painting the cupboards would be a mistake right now because they would be more maintenance,they always chip and then you have to repaint. The finish is still good on them, they are just old. I don't live in a new house, so sometimes you have to design with what you have all ready. I like the country look and a bit of modern too.
  • mlou72
    9 years ago
    Do what you like and you won't mind cleaning it.
  • Gwen
    6 years ago
    getting ready to gut our 40 year old kitchen. I'm leaning towards dark cherry cabinets
    I have not found a granite I like; too "busy". I like earthtone colors. Thinking stainless on island and appliances. Need suggestions for counter tops and flooring. Can not use wood on floors.
  • PRO
    Momentum Janitorial
    6 years ago

I am really impressed to see this beautiful back splash.Regular wiping and sweeping is very important for its cleaning.Maintain this wonderful space you should clean it properly as it not only enhance the beauty but will bring a fresh ambiance.