Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twotutango

Help! Opinions on appliance choices, esp. Miele cooktop

twotutango
16 years ago

First, thanks to everyone here! I've been reading the posts for over two months now and there is so much great information. I'm trying to finalize the kitchen appliances for my new home. I think I have everything figured out except the cooktop. I would love some feedback on my choices as well as ideas or info. about the cooktop.

Choices so far:

GE Monogram All-Fridge/All-Freezer (36" each)

Miele Master Chef 30" Single-Wall Oven

Miele Warming Drawer

Gaggenau Combi

Two Miele Dishwashers (still selecting exact model and also debating whether to do one Miele and one Bosch--both w/ panels & concealed controls)

Microwave (possibly with lift door from Miele or cabinetry)

Cooktop??? I need at least 5 burners and don't want electric. I like the temperature control with gas and induction.

*Considering the GE Monogram, 5-burner gas

*However, would really like more info. on the Miele induction cooktop that I've read (on this forum) may be available in the USA sometime in the next 6 months.

*I know others have mentioned Dacor and some other models, but I'm getting down to the wire and am running out of time to check them all out.

Any opinions or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Twotutango

Comments (15)

• podge8
    16 years ago

Sorry, no experience with Miele, but here's what I wrote to another poster about GE Monogram cooktops:

I just installed the 30" version of the GE Monogram cooktop last week, and love it. The simmer on all four burners is great, and yes, you really can melt chocolate on a paper plate on the simmer setting! The highest burner goes to 18,000 BTU, which is plenty of heat. I believe it is more power than any of the other brands you are looking at. Even the smaller burners are very powerful and I have yet to leave them on high for anything. But what has impressed me the most is the range of heat, from low to high. You can find a setting on every burner to suit anything you need to do, from searing to simmering. Also, the prices on Monogram appliances are very competitive or even much less than the other premium brands. Highly recommended!

• twotutango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you podge8, your comments were some that got me looking at the GE Monogram cooktop prior to my post. I looked at the 5-burner, gas cooktop in Feb., but hadn't heard much about the induction at that point. I'm just not sure a 30" will do it for me--I am looking at a 36", but thanks to your info. I am still checking out the entire GE Monogram line.

• mart242
    16 years ago

FWIW, I have the Miele 36" induction (I'm in Canada) and it's awesome. Lots of power and perfect control. I wouldn't go back to gas.

• twotutango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mart242. I've been trying to find out if and when the Miele 36" induction will be available in the US, but so far no luck. DH says he has no problem buying and shipping from Canada, so that may be the next place I look. It's nice to hear opinions from those that are using the product in real-life.

• jamesk
    16 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Miele appliances. I've been using them for more than 30 years (I lived in Europe before they were available in N. America). My current house has Miele laundry appliances, dishwasher, oven, warming drawer and vacuum cleaners. When it came to a cooktop, however, I chose a Gaggenau 36" model KG291. I've been extremely pleased.

I considered the Miele 36" gas cooktop, but I didn't like the arrangement of the burners or the control panel. The Gaggenau has better burner spacing, a superior control panel, and I think it looks much better. I'm very glad I made the choice that I did. The Gaggenau performs flawlessly and has proven to be very reliable. I recommend it. It's available in two versions, one with a very stylish aluminum control panel, and the second with a more utilitarian stainless steel control panel. I went with the stainless steel version because it seemed like it would be easier to keep looking clean and new longer. I think I made the right choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaggenau KG 291 Gas Cooktop

• fitzski
    16 years ago

Along with mart242, I ended up with a Miele induction cooktop.

I was sold on induction technology the moment I first learned of it - the incredibly efficiency and safety features made it a no brainer for me. Among the cooktop choices, the Miele was attractive for a few reasons.

First, a pretty good promotion made the outlandish price a tiny wee little bit easier to justify.

Second, we were already set on a Miele dishwasher, wall oven and vent hood... so might as well "keep it in the family".

Third, installation requirements were not cumbersome, especially in regards to the minimum clearances. It's a pretty svelte unit, and does not force you to compromise on other aspects of your kitchen design and layout.

Fourth, and most important, was that to me it came across as the most well-sorted unit. There is great attention to detail in the features it delivers, in the customization of features, in the breadth of safety features, and in outright performance/power.

I'm surprised it's still not available State-side... I wonder what the hold-up is?

• mart242
    16 years ago

But unlike fitzski, who's induction cooktop currently sits in his basement while he finishes his kitchen renovation, I actually use mine. ;) (hehe.. I couldn't resist)

The Miele promo in canada was great, buy the induction cooktop and get henckels pots & pans, buy a cooktop, oven and range hood and you'll get 1000$ back from Miele in addition to the pots & pans.

Just look at the individual timers for each burner, programming mode (which I haven't used yet), layout. It's great.

• fitzski
    16 years ago

Nice try, Martin! It's installed... along with the rest of the appliances... and we've been using the cooktop for about a 2 weeks! It's great - I love the speed and immediacy of temperature changes. There is a small learning curve to really maximize your use of the cooktop, but it's very intuitive for the basics.

My only gripe is fingerprints... it accumulates more paw prints than a bar waitress...

Here is a link that might be useful: fitzski's renovations

• twotutango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all of your comments, links, and photos--fitzski, your kitchen looks great! I really believe the Miele induction cooktop is the one I want, not only because your comments and everything I've heard about the quality of Miele, but also because I have small children at home and very much like the safety of induction vs. gas. (I will probably have a gas range in a basement canning kitchen, just for when I really need it.) My difficulty now is trying to get the info. and specs on the Miele as well as figure out how to purchase one in Canada, since I am not familiar with any dealers there. I talked to the Miele rep here (Salt Lake City, Utah) and he said he knew nothing about the Miele induction cooktop becoming available in the US--then he quickly mentioned Viking and Thermador which I have already ruled out. I think I will get a second opinion, since he seemed to just be ready to make some kind of sale. Maybe DH and I will just have to take a trip to Canada. ;-)

• fitzski
    16 years ago

Installation requirements are readily available online (cut-out dimensions, clearances, electrical, etc).

IIRC... somebody posted that q4-2007 was anticipated availability in the USA. Perhaps an e-mail to Miele USA would enlighten.

Where abouts are you in the States? You could try the Miele Canada Dealer Locator (link below) to find the closest shops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Canada: Dealer Locator

• twotutango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks fitzski. I actually emailed Miele last week and still haven't received an answer from them, although today I talked to a Miele rep who definitively said that although they don't have an "official" release date, the induction cooktop is still slated to be available in the US by the end of 2007. However, he didn't know at first if it would have the same dimensions as the Canadian model. (I looked up all the specs for the 36" model available in Canada). After some checking, I was told that the US model should be very similar to the Canadian KM5773. The one thing I wasn't able to determine from the online manuals is the distance required beneath the unit for ventilation (how much cabinet space needs to be left clear--I was hoping to still have room for two large drawers for pots and pans). It's probably there, but even with a PhD sometimes I miss things! I'll have my DH take a look at the manuals once he is back in town. For now it seems that I should be OK to move ahead with my cabinets and plan on purchasing the Miele in the US near the beginning of the year.

Thanks again for the help!

• margareta_mi
    16 years ago

Do the Miele timers actually turn off the burners or do they just make a sound?

• canuck99
    16 years ago

Turn off the burners.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

To the OP:

We have a Gaggenau combi-steam oven and 2 Miele Excella dishwashers, both fully integrated with custom panels. We've been in our kitchen for 6 months & could not be more pleased with their performance.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

I've been cooking with my Miele induction cooktop for 2 months now and very happy. Wonderful control! And yes, the promotion was also the final thing than won me over considering that the prize was otherwise hard to justify. Clearance below is really very little. I have two deep pot drawers and a shallow spice drawer underneath.

The picture also shows one of the henckel pots I got :-)

{{gwi:1439263}}