Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

Will black stone columns look OK??

ccoombs1
16 years ago

I am building this house myself and sort of changing things as I go. Anyway, about a month ago, I decided the porch needed some columns. I built them this past weekend and now I need to veneer them with rock. I went to the stoneyard looking for capstones (which I found) and while there, I spotted a palled of nearly solid black rock. The rock has sparkles in it and some white veining. I have no idea what kind of rock it is, but I bought a pallet of it to do the columns with. The siding on the house is gray, and none of the gray rocks looked good with the siding. The brigher gray of the siding made the rocks look drab. So here's my question: Will dark black columns look bad? I am having a hard time picturing it. The shingles are dark, and I plan to put black shutters on the house too. I also plan to paint the door red. Here's a sketch of the front of my house. Simple...but easy to build.

Comments (14)

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I don't think I could answer that from your description or sketch. Do you have any pictures of the siding and the rock you are talking about? maybe a picture together. Do you have a picture of the front of the house?

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The rock is being delivered today. I'll take some pictures of the house, the rocks and the siding.

• chapnc
    16 years ago

Most houses I've seen use the same brick used on the foundation to do the porch columns. But that does't mean that *you* have to do it that way. If you like the black stones, then by all means use them for your columns. The black stones and gray siding should look really good together, much better than gray siding and gray stones..... too much gray.

You may want to mininmize the extent to which they clash with the foundation bricks by landscaping and planting along the foundation line.

• blsdgal
    16 years ago

I don't know about the rock, but noticed on your drawing that the rock takes up about half the height of your columns. It would look better if the rock took up less height and the upper part of the columns takes up more.

Does that make sense at all?

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chapnc, the foundation is concrete block. We will stucco it at some point, but not yet. And there will be LOTS of plants to hide most of it anyway.

blsdgal, the columns are high enough to permit handrails(if I decide to add them later). They are 36" tall.

The rock is here and has been washed. It is more of a dark charcoal gray when dry, nearly black when wet. There is a lot of cool white streaks in it and some copper flecks. Pretty darn nice looking!! Here's some pics of the house and rock pile.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

I think it will look cool!! Will you cover the porch base with them too?

• laura1202
    16 years ago

I think that rock is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the pics of your finished columns. :)

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Oops should say I think covering the porch base will make the scale look better too and frame out the porch nicely agains the house with the scale of the column looking more proportional.

Then the foundation base could be stucco.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

OK I type faster than I think.

Is that dentil molding around the porch? If so what material is it and where did you get it.

I like the house.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I thought about doing the porch foundation too. We will see how this goes and then maybe do that too. Only about 1.5 block will show when I get done though....I am building stone walls to create a large raised planting bed in front of the house. That will come later though.

The dental mold is a synthetic material. It looks pretty good...but I wish I hadn't used it. It doesn't look as good in real life.

The house design is very simple. I wanted something that would be easy to build since I am doing it myself. I am not a builder by trade, although this is the 3rd house my DH and I have done. It's our last. We will grow old(er) in this one.

• lyfia
    16 years ago

ccoombs1 do you know what the material was? If you don't like it in person at least I'd know what to stay away from.

• lsst
    16 years ago

ccombs, That looks exaxtly like the stone we have on our porch. The columns would look great with it.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lyfia, I don't remember the brand name....we got it from a local supply place. It is hollow plastic though. The joints show terribly. I may try caulking the joints and then painting the stuff white, which sort of defeats the purpose of it in the first place if I have to paint it!! I really wanted a maintenance-free exterior (other than pressure washing).

1sst...I remember seeing your porch pictures now....you're right!! I think it is the same stone!!

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I know I don't want to be a stone mason for a living!!! Man, this is hard work. It's sort of like doing a giant jigsaw puzzle....only there is no picture to follow and there are pieces missing. lol!!

I got two columns totally done and the other two are about 75% done. I still need to go back and mortar the joints to make them nice and neat. I also need to acid wash to clean up the mortar that didn't stay where I put it. The color of the columns is perfect though. I am pleased with them so far.