Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumkrazy_gw

Glass mosaic tile that looks like Mother of Pearl?

plumkrazy
13 years ago

I would love to use real Mother of Pearl tile, but what I've seen is waaaay out of our price range. So I'm looking for a glass mosaic look-alike. I've seen lots of iridescent/opalized mosaics but not exactly what I want. I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist again... why do I do this to myself?! LOL

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of Pearl tiles

Comments (14)

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love love love the Walker Zanger vintage glass. Haven't priced it yet, but I'm thinking this is out of my price range, too. Sigh.

So maybe there's a knock-off of this tile someone knows of??

Here is a link that might be useful: WZ Vintage Glass

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Oooh, gorgeous tile.

I got my glass tiles from OKGlassTile.com and they were great to work with. They also had the lowest prices. I know they will custom-make a mosaic for you with the colors you choose, and they have some metallics. Susan Jablon will do that as well, and she may have more to choose from, but she's more expensive. You could start by ordering samples of all the colors you like off their sites (no cost) and see if you can put together a combination you like, then have them made up for you.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We almost used MOP (mosaic) in our MB--the price was pretty decent actually, or at least comparable to others we were considering. I know the tile place had other MOP tile that cost a lot more.

Are you anywhere near NY (southern part of the state)? If so, email me through GW and I can tell you the name of the place if you want to check it out.

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Wow that mother of pearl tile is stunning! Maybe you could consider mixing glass tile with the mother of pearl tile (in smaller amounts)?

Check out Oceanside Glasstile. They do a variety of recycled glass tile in a variety of iridescent colors.

{{gwi:1479137}}
    {{gwi:1479138}}
    {{gwi:1479139}}
    {{gwi:1479140}}
    {{gwi:1479141}}

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I'll check out those sites... that Oceanside is beautiful! And I called a local tile store that carries WZ. Expensive, but not much more than some of the other glass mosaics I was looking at. Cat mom, I'm in NC so I don't think I'll be able to get up there anytime soon. Thanks, though! :)

• sue_b
    13 years ago

When I needed some copper color iridescent 1 x 1 glass tile for my backsplash I bought several different sheets on ebay (about $15 each) so I could really see them and play with it. Search there and consider "Buy it Now" to get low priced samples. I put the words 'mosaic glass tile iridescent white' in the search box (Home category) and a couple came up. They don't photograph very well so it's hard to say how different it will be from real MOP.

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the ebay tip... hadn't thought of looking there.

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I hit the jackpot!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass MOP tile

• natenvalsmom
    13 years ago

We are currently remodeling our master bath, and we are using the Walker Zanger Vintage Glass tile (color: Zinc Lustre, which is the color shown in the link in your second post). We love it! The tile is not currently 100% installed, and it is not yet grouted, so I am not ready to show pictures, but we are having it cover much of the bathroom. I like how it is subtly iridescent. It was definitely not inexpensive, but really makes a statement. I can't wait to see it finished.

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ohhh, I bet it is going to be gorgeous! Please post pics of it when its been grouted!

• spruce40
    13 years ago

Natenvalsmom - did you finish your bath yet? Do you have any pics of the vintage glass tile. I am considering this in our master bath and would love to see pics of the finished produce

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

plum, did you get the sample? Can you believe...I went to that website and ordered a sample of your tile at about 11:30 last night. If it's anything like what it looks like online, I think I know what I'm doing in the last bathroom (the 3/4 bath used as guest bath). Great find!

And natenvalsmom, can't wait to see a WZ bathroom. I *know* it will be gorgeous already.

• plumkrazy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I got a sample of it and its really pretty! Looks remarkably like real MOP even though its glass. But in the end we decided to go in a different direction (using
    Sumi-e recycled glass, instead). Hope you like the sample!

• mahatmacat1
    13 years ago

Ah...that should be *gorgeous* too. I'll be awaiting the pics...