Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charliedawg_gw

I'm BA-ACK!! With move-in pics. :)

charliedawg
16 years ago

Whew! Finally got my internet. This has been the most exciting time of my life. We had a great move-in week. My kids and dh were wonderful and our friends made our house feel like home the very first night w/ an impromptu deck party. I love it here and it was worth every single "freak out moment" along the way.

Before and after

{{gwi:42886}}

These photos are the reason we bought the property. Some of the photos are blurry because I got so excited that I forgot how to use my camara...

...the view. You can see the full city in the fall.

...a hawk in my tree.

...a deer right in my backyard.

...a groundhog playing around in the yard.

Now on to the house.

Great room

Kitchen/breakfast area

My "entertainment" room, um I mean Master Bedroom :)

Powder room

My tiny laundry room. This is the perfect size for me. The bigger the laundry room, the bigger the mess in my house. My last laundry room was huge and did nothing but collect dirty clothes and junk. I have to keep this one clean because it's inbetween the house and garage. Nice motivation.

Misc

I really want to thank everybody in here that helped me along the way. This experience was so much more enjoyable with all of my cyber friends to encourage me when I was down and to ooooh and awwwww over my progress photos. I wouldn't have made it without you!!!

Comments (60)

• kellyeng
    16 years ago

So great to see you all moved in. It looks great!

I hope to join your ranks soon!

• ajpl
    16 years ago

Awesome

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

woodswell: how nice of you to post that. In our current house we hold NWL Backyard habitat certif. no. 110,9400 from 1990, when the program was a lot younger (and so were we). We'll do it again; the basics are there already. I'm just lusting for MORE. Think I'll put out about 10 salt licks and signs for 5 miles around for the deer; they're that close!

But today is Charliedawg's day. Enjoy, enjoy! Even the "sub" species you caught on camera.

• kelntx
    16 years ago

LOL! That is so funny because Saturday night we went and changed out the chip and we saw the roofer subs walking by on their way down to the creek! I am guessing they went for a quick dip to cool off since it was 100 outside :-) I am just shocked they didn't see the camera. OH well! It totally took us by surprise to see them walking by. The camera is way down the property near the back. Little adventure seekers.....DH said if they slack off to much and walk the property a lot he hopes they get chiggers! I think he was kidding :-0(for those who do not live in the south they are also called "no see 'ems" because they are tiny tiny little bugs...they bury themselves in your skin and itch like crazy!)Sometimes I hate Texas!

Kelly :-)

• amyks
    16 years ago

OOOOOO DAWGIE! That is just awesome! I love it, love all of it from paint to floors, and that view! Congratulations, you did a great job. Since kats is not around to do it, I'll do it: HaPpY dAnCe HaPpY dAnCe HaPpY dAnCe !!!!!!

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

C-Dawg! CONGRATS!!!!

I know just how you're feeling right now. Take it from me, two months later I'm still waking up wondering what neat place I'm in....so the butterflies stay around a while. yippie!

Pictures look great! Love the paint, especially the powder room color.

Our basements look similar, and our garage is still that way too! We're just taking some time to relax and enjoy. The rest of the boxes will be there when we're ready. :)

Best wishes in your new home!

Tony

• fishpants
    16 years ago

How exciting for you! Congrats! I bet that deck is so nice to sit out on and just look around...Except for when the contractors are in the bushes!

• kygirl99
    16 years ago

gorgeous, charliedawg!!!!!!!! you must be so happy to finally be in your beautiful new home!

• vfish
    16 years ago

Charliedawg, awesome. The front of your home is so beautiful! The back of your home with the view and er...wildlife...as it may be, look breathtaking!
    Enjoy, Enjoy, Enjoy!

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Congrats, charliedawg! It's beautiful! Would you share the paint colors? I'm especially wondering about the laundry room color! THANKS! Enjoy!

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    16 years ago

Oh, Charlie, what an incredible place!!--the beautiful lot with those awsome views and the gorgeous home you created. I love everything about it, the colors, windows, the perfect powder room, the deck, and the fantastic outdoor kitchen. That'll keep your perfectly gorgeous indoor kitchen clean! Congratulations! You are an inspiration to us who are just at the beginning of the journey. Enjoy your wonderful new home, but please stay in touch!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Charlie, what a beautiful, beautiful house. That wildlife is just great. The only wildlife I'll see when I look out is a pigeon and maybe a coon!! That outside kitchen is something else. Congratulations on a job well done.

• mlauder
    16 years ago

BEE-autiful, CharlieDawg! I love the colors and the deck is to die for. What a great time to move in--just in time to be ready for fall, which looks like it will be spectacular there. Thanks for sharing with all of us--it reminds us that there is a light at the end of this slow tunnel!
    Susan

• juniork
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Charliedawg! WOW!

I only want 2 laundry areas...you have 2 bbq entertaining areas! That deck looks so cozy, and the big bbq area is wonderful. I think I remember you posting pre-pictures when you were planning the area (I could be wrong...), and it looks beautiful now.
    Your guest bath is stunning...love the sink. Congrats again!

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey guys! I can't wait for all of you guys to finally get to move into your homes. It really is better than you could ever imagine and just soooo much fun to see your dreams finally come true. And it is true that ALL of the little things that drive you crazy now will seem so petty once your finished. :) I'm pretty sure I didn't need to lose a couple nights of sleep just because couldn't decide on a light fixture.

Amy-Woo hoo, thanks for that HaPpY DaNcE! Now how 'bout a beer?

Tony - I was hoping you would check in and find this thread. I know you have been checking in less since you have moved in. Your posts really kept me going in the end. I lived vicariously through your wonderful descriptions of your property. I'm really excited that I'm now experiencing, in real life, the exact situations that you have mentioned on here.

Pinktoes-We moved from a neighborhood that had small lots. I had 5 houses around the sides and back and many more across the street and somehow we managed to get wildlife. We had a whole family of rabbits, doves that came back every year to mate, raccoons, a ferrit (I think thats what it was) and a ton of humming birds. So you have hope :) And about your view....the prettiest view in the world is a clear night sky with all of the stars and a full moon. Nobody and no building can take that from you.

Super chick- The paint was originally by Benjamin Moore but we had porter paints match. The BM names were Sea Sand in great room, Greenbrier beige in foyer and MBR and Audubon Russet in the powder/laundry/dining room. I told my builder I wanted a splash of bold color in the smaller rooms. She said Audubon Russet was the color that all of the multi-million dollar homes were starting to use so I copied it.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

>>I really want to thank everybody in here that helped me along the wayHeheeee Charlie were waiting to be invited to a big party to try out that outside kitchen. LOL

• reliabilityman
    16 years ago

Nice place. I like it congratulations. BTW. Make sure Mr. Groundhog stays out there in the woods and does not decide to start digging a new home under your new home. They can be bad about this. My parents house had about 5 wheelburrows of dirt removed under the slab of their screened in porch by one of these little buggers. Caused the slab to crack and sink in the corner.

• bandana
    16 years ago

Spectacular! Enjoyed the outside pictures too. It's hard to say but I think the back deck is my favorite. Or maybe the kitchen... Or that you called the master bedroom your entertainment room!

• mlauder
    16 years ago

BEE-autiful, CharlieDawg! I love the colors and the deck is to die for. What a great time to move in--just in time to be ready for fall, which looks like it will be spectacular there. Thanks for sharing with all of us--it reminds us that there is a light at the end of this slow tunnel!
    Susan

• jeannekay
    16 years ago

It's beautiful!

• livinginoregon
    16 years ago

Beautiful location! Congrats!

• labradoodlelady
    16 years ago

Congratulations Charlie, it's absolutely gorgeous. It's soooooo reassuring to keep hearing that all the traumas and angst just kind of fade away after moving in.

My garage currently looks a lot like your basements - except that it's the boxes ready to get moved. :)

• twitchy
    16 years ago

Congratulations!! Love the view! Everything looks awesome! Enjoy!!!

• bebetokids
    16 years ago

so beautiful charliedawg and whoopie!-it's over and life can begin again! Enjoy your space and throw some steaks on the grill for all of us. Looks like you already have alot of decorating done-man you work fast!

Deep breath and CHUG!

• loralee_2007
    16 years ago

Wow, charlie, every time I look at the front of your house I fall more in love with it...I can just imagine how you feel! It's absolutely gorgeous and I'm so happy to hear you can kick back now, feet up, and enjoy your space. Big CONGRATS to you, it's absolutely beautiful!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

WOW, CharlieDawg, it's GORGEOUS! I can't believe that you have it in such livable condition in such a short period of time! We've been in for almost six months and I still haven't decorated most of it! And I'm in love with your deck and view! ENJOY!!!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

I've been offline moving in too but I'm back on in time to see your beautiful new home! Congratulations Charliedawg, it is absolutely beautiful! LOVE that Powder room sink! You did a fantastic job at choosing everything!

Congrats again

Lindy

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

hey charlie now everyone is going to want you to help them move in since your so efficent at it. LOL
    What are you doing with the pond? are you going to landscape around it or just leave it wild?

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindy, congrats on moving in...isn't it great!!!

Cynandjon - pond? I have a pond? Please point me in that direction LOL. Are you talking about the fishing lake thats right out the back. I think I only mentioned that once on here a long time ago...if this is what you are talking about you have a fantastic memory. (I want what your taking) :)

The lake is less than 1/4 mile away. There is a trail off the back of our ridge that leads straight to it. We live on a one acre lot right smack in the middle of a 6000+ acre protected forest. The owners of the land were offered 1500.00 for it by the forest but they wouldn't sell. They got about 20x that amount from us. He was a VERY good businessman.

Anyhoo, I can't landscape that.

Here's another photo I took last night. This is about 30 ft from my house. I need to start a photo album.

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

WOW!!! That's a beautiful photo of the deer. Do you have dogs? We have two, and I think that's why we're not seeing deer.

Guess what we did see??? I couldn't believe it....a BOBCAT! He was about the size of a cocker spanial. Saw him at about 9am in our front yard. If I see him one more time, we'll put out a trap and relocate him.

So far, our list includes: a cayote, a bobcat, a beaver, a piliated woodpecker. Our neighbor saw a black bear the year before we moved in.

I know how much you're enjoying yourself! The recent record heat has kept us in a bit lately, but fall is not far off!

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

charliedawg: Awwwww. Love, love, love the young spotty ones. You must promise to drink them in for me! I had no idea where you're located. Wonderful.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

The very first picture, isnt that a pond. LOL

you seem like your having a blast with the wild life. Two doe almost ran me over the other day when I was walking down to the house.
    cyn

• jessica07
    16 years ago

I LOVE the house, Charliedawg. It's just beautiful!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

How sweet!!! We went out to our property and we had 708 pictures! There was a little family of raccoons. So sweet. I love your two little babies! DH hunts and DD (who is almost 8) can not wait to go hunting with daddy. I hunt with my camera and that is it! I went hunting with DH once and when the deer came up I was so sad he was going to kill it I made a noise and he ran off! Needless to say I am not allowed to go anymore :-0

Keep the pictures coming! I love them!

• kats
    16 years ago

Hey CD,
    So many people have moved in and so many new people have begun the journey during the time I've been away from this forum. How cool is that!! :)
    Congratulations on your move-in girl! Your home is amazing!
    Oh, and enjoy that wild life too!

• missymar
    16 years ago

Congrats C.dawg, it's soooo pretty, job well done! It was definitely worth all the stress, right?! Now please tell me, where did that awesome outdoor grill set-up come from? DH would die for that! Truly your life has begun again! We're hoping for our new beginning in 2 weeks.... :) I so love your location too!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

Charliedawg - DH and I looked at counter tops today and I remembered how much I really liked yours. Do you mind if I ask you what Laminate you used? We have been looking at Wilsonart and we can not decide and we have 4 picked out. I really REALLY like yours a lot and it looks just like one of the ones we picked out.

I hope you do not mind me asking!

Kelly

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG Tony, a bear? I would be scared to death if I saw a bear. Luckily there are no reports of bears around here. Some people say they have seen a bobcat, I tell myself they just saw a big cat. :) We do have a dog (charliedawg) but he stays in the house most of the time. He does bark at the window when he sees the deer but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Cyn, nope thats not a pond, it's an old foundation that had to be removed that put us 3500.00 on the very first day of escavation. A house burned down on our lot about 6 years age.

Kats - Have you posted new photos somewhere? Did I miss them?

Missy - Sams wholesale club has a lot of neat grills. The one we have was 999.00 when we bought it 2 years ago. They sell the newer model for 799.00 now. I hit a tri-fecta on derby day so I bought the grill. Needless to say, my DH was very happy with my purchase. :)

Kelly - Our laminate is called "Labrador Granite" by Armstrong. It goes w/ everything. I am very happy w/ this decision and don't regret it one bit. Everybody compliments it too.

• susanka
    16 years ago

charliedawg, congratulations! Your house and your land are gorgeous; such great choices everywhere. I've forgotten where you are, and reading through these posts if you said what area you're in I missed it.

I second your thanks to all the folks here, but you've been one of the major helpers, and you sure deserve your move-in thrill.

Your deer and fawn picture is beautiful. We have all the wildlife you mention here too (Rocky Mountains). You might want to look on the regional garden forum for a list of deer-and-rabbit-resistant plants. If you want me to, I'll post a comprehensive list for the Rockies. I suppose they eat the same things in your neighborhood. I hadn't heard of "wildview" cameras. Sounds like a great idea, now that are subs are gone!

I have an even better reason to keep my tiny laundry room clean than you do. We had to put our main-level powder room past the laundry room because of space/$ considerations, so many of our guests get to see if I'm up on the laundry.

Again, charliedawg, congratulations on your beautiful home!

Susanka

• susanka
    16 years ago

I forgot to ask you the question I wanted to, charliedawg. We're already considering our first "remodel" -- Yikes. DH and I both wanted windows almost to the floor and got talked out of it by the GC because of high winds. We're thinking of changing our current 8x5 windows to something that goes to the floor (in a few months when we can afford it). However, what we'll see will mostly be our deck and back yard, and some of the road beneath our house. I saw on your pix at least one of your windows looks out on a deck -- how do you like that view? Anything you can tell me about the virtues of your windows? We're thinking it will make us feel much more like we're "outdoors" when we're in the house, but it won't add that much to the actual view, and we're wondering if it will be worth the megabucks it will cost.

Thanks again.

Susanka

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I just noticed the neat way the chandelier shows through the second story window. Very pretty!!

• susanka
    16 years ago

That is a lovely touch. Good eye, brutuses!

• kelntx
    16 years ago

Thank you charliedawg!!

Kelly

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susanka - I would love a list of those deer resistant plants. We want to do some major backyard landscaping in the spring and I would love to be armed with that info. I would hate to spend 500.00 on my new pets lunch. :)

The windows we have are Anderson Silver line. Our ceilings are 8ft in the breakfast area and slant up to 16 feet in the great room. Our windows range from 36" wide to 72" wide and are 75" tall. Our builder wanted us to put the deck on the side of the house so we wouldn't have to look at it thru the window. I didn't want the deck on the side because it's less private, wouldn't look right with our home and I wanted the deck to have the best view since we are outdoorsy people. I held my ground but suddenly (because of my builder) worried that I wouldn't like seeing the deck from the inside.

All of those worries were for nothing. It doesn't bother me at all. I like being able to see the family from inside and it's not like it totally obstructs the inside view. The only thing I can't see is the patio underneath it. I keep it neat and clutter free so it's a nice view of the deck and is inviting. I definitely feel it was the right decision and I don't think you will be bothered by it at all.

• susanka
    16 years ago

Hi, charliedawg: Here it is. I forget where you are; if you're low and wet area some of these may not do well. Another thing, I understand that deer will eat anything if they're hungry enough. Where we lived before we were close to a little zoo that had mountain lions, and we went there and collected the lion poop and ringed our property with it, having heard that that was sure-fire. It wasn't. You might stand a better chance with these plants, though.

http://www.pinery.org/gardendeer.htm

Thanks very much for the answer about the windows. When our pocketbook recovers we're going to think about it seriously; your take on the deck view was very helpful.

Congratulations again on your lovely home.

Susanka

• lngbrgr4me
    16 years ago

Your new home is beautiful!!

We are in the (very) early stages of building and seeing your pictures really makes me want to get things going!! We went exploring at Lowes and Menards, and one of the laminate chips I brought home was Labrador Granite ... I was concerned that it may be too dark, but it looks great in your pictures!!

Also, while looking at your pics, my daughter was admiring your striped shower curtain ... would you mind sharing where you purchased it?

Congrats on your new home!!

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lngbbrg4me - I was worried about the darkness of Lab granite too. Our walls and floors are light in the kitchen area so I think it's a nice contrast. There are soooo many things to worry about in the early stages aren't there?

My daughter will be sooo happy that you complimented her choices. She's 12 yrs old and I gave her the responsibility of decorating her and her brothers bathroom. I told her she had to try and get something good for a boy and a girl. I think she did great. We got everything at Walmart. We spent $112.00 for everthing (shower curtain, rings, rods, mat, toothbrush holder, garbage can and towels) but I think the showere curtain was about $25.00.

Good luck on your building journey. Enjoy the ride!!!

• tragusa3
    16 years ago

CDawg,

On the 16th photo down you show a good shot of the view from your porch. I'm assuming from the lay of the land that if you thinned out those trees you'd have a nice view. We have the same situation, and I wrestle daily with pulling some trees out. Are you wrestling with that? What are some of your thoughts?

We wanted to wait a while before doing anything, knowing that you can't put trees back!

I suppose we will just do a handful of trees each year until we slowly get to the view we want. Kind of like a haircut, don't take too much at once. :)

• charliedawg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tragusa, your right. Actually the people that lived there the 70 years before we bought it kept the tress in the left side area topped in order to keep that view. Since the land has been vacant for over 5 years they have grown back up.

My dh wants to top off the same trees and quite a few more to get more of a panaramic year round view than just a fall-spring view.

Our land drops off significantly on that side so just topping them off would open it up quite and save the trees. Would that work for you?

In the back I want to get rid of a lot of baby trees just to make our backyard bigger but I'm struggling with it. It's so pretty but I think a garden would be even prettier.

• kcthatsme
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I really like the color and what you did with your powder room. And I love all of your wildlife!