Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pat512

profile vs monogram

pat512
16 years ago

I need to purchase a new built in oven to replace the 30" GE Profile that I currently have. I was considering purchasing the GE Mongram ZET1PMSS or ZET1SMSS. Love the idea of the roller racks. Unfortunately none of the local Monogram Dealers in my area have either of these models on display. I was able to see the GE Profile PK916SMSS, in two different stores, which is supposedly the same oven other than a few features and exterior look. I really didn't like the feel of the Profile's door, it just felt flimsy and didn't close as firmly as I would like. Is this the way the new Monogram's door is as well?

Thanks for any help,

Pat

Comments (20)

• peakofliving
    16 years ago

We just got the PK916 (27" in black) and you're right about the door. It feels like it doesn't close all the way (I'd like a substantial thunk!), but it really does and it makes a great seal. I had the oven up to 475 last week and the door was still cool to the touch and the surrounding area was not any warmer.

I never found the exact floor model to test out the door before we bought it but I'm not sure it would have made that much of a difference. We had already decided on the Profile Advantium so we went ahead with the matching stove.

I opened and closed a few Monogram ovens and they seemed quite sturdy. The metal handles are definitely more solid than the plastic on the Profile models but it wasn't important enough to us to warrant another $400+.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

I had a monogram oven is the last house we built, just a year ago as well as the advantium (which I LOVED). from everything I have read (and I hope I am right) the monogram and profile are exactly the same except for the exterior design, inside oven rack and price. I decide to go with the profile as the looks fits my needs in our newest home we are building... but now I am concerned that the handles are PLASTIC!! ??? and the doors are flimsy...

If other owners would be so kind to give thoughts on this, it would be appreciated!

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

no replies... but in case anyone else is looking at both lines, I will give my own feedback!

Yesterday I stopped and looked at the Profile, and I didn't see where the handle was plastic like or that the door was much different then the monogram.

• fairegold
    16 years ago

From posts way back in the past (I've been here a long time), most if not all Monogram appliances are outsourced to other manufacturers. For example, the cooktop is made by DCS.

Check a couple of other threads about the Profile line. FWIW, GE appliances would not be my first choice.

• patti_bee
    16 years ago

I have the ZET1SMSS oven and love it. It is very solid in feel and I am quite fond of the knobs to set the temperature. I was tired of touchpads but that's a personal choice. The Profile and the Monogram share a number of features. The Monogram won in our house because of the cooking features, rolling racks, the knobs and the appearance. It is a worry when you have to order something you haven't seen and I was able to see mine before ordering. It's very quiet and the already-quiet fan shuts off shortly after the oven is turned off.

• atinga
    16 years ago

We have the 30 inch Monogram single oven, convection and self clean. Also the 36 inch 6 burner rangetop. Love them both. Could not have made a better choice in my opinion. The oven in great on all modes, I love the warming oven feature. The only thing I don't like is that the oven gets a bit hot in self clean mode. Not enough to damage anything around it. I guess it just seems hot to me not having had a self clean oven before. I would buy both of these Monogram products again.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

As stated previously, I did own the monogram in my last house we built (just a year ago) and I DID love the appliances, and that's why I am a returning buyer this time.

HOWEVER, I am choosing (I think) the profile line this time around, but I was under the understanding that the ONLY difference was the exterior look and the oven racks. What else am I missing?

• weissman
    16 years ago

Some Monogram appliances like the MWs are basically the same unit as the Profile with minor cosmetic differences but some Monogram appliances like the ranges are completely different and manufactured by other companies. I don't know about the wall ovens but you should do some more research - applianceadvisor.com is a good starting point - to see who acutally manufactures the Monogram wall ovens.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    16 years ago

this particular wall oven is a new chassis designed and built by GE themselves, the basic can structure is shared with the GE profile and even some GE branded items but that's where the similarities end. Electronics differ pretty tremendously from profile to monogram. For reference any unit GE has with an M towards the end and measuring 4.4cf(i think) is based off this platform.

• lindawink
    16 years ago

I was looking at the Profile & Monogram ovens this week. One of the differences I noticed was that the broiler elements were way different. The Monogram has an 8 pass configuration, while the Profile was much smaller.

• robarba
    16 years ago

The Monogram has Bake Wattage of 2700W. It is higher than the Profile PT920SMSS which has 2100W. Seems like that alone is a significant differnce.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Just installed my Monogram, haven't used it yet. The roll-out racks were too good to pass up.

• luster
    16 years ago

There are some differences between the Monogram and Profile models mentioned above. the Monogram has the following:

ZET1 is a 30" wide oven while the PK916 is a 27" oven. PT916 is a 30".
    ZET1 has electronic dial controls while the PK916 has glass touch controls.
    ZET1 has full extension AND self clean racks
    ZET1 has two light columns with 3 halogen lights each..note these serve as the heat source for the Proof mode. Profile has a single halogen light.
    ZET1 has 6 heating elements (2 bake elements, 2 convection elements and 2 broil elements). 3 total elements in the Profile.
    Faster preheat times on Monogram.

On another note, while select products are sourced from other suppliers, most Monogram products are made by Monogram. The ZET1 wall ovens are made by Monogram.

I hope this helps.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Monogram has a better reputation for service than the Profile,too. I used my oven (above) today for the first time to bake a batch of cookies. Nice.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Do not assume the Profile and Monograms have different "insides." I researched this and discovered that in most cases the only differences b/w Profiles and Monograms is cosmetic...you pay the extra $$ for the look and reputation. GE confirmed this regarding the Trivection double oven. In the case of the Trivection oven, Monograms also come w/a roasting pan (like all used to) while the Profiles do not.

As to service...in the past 12.5 years we needed service only a few times (DW & refrigerator) and had no problems...they were prompt, courteous, & knew what they were doing.

We were so pleased w/our Profile appliances that we bought in 1995, that we purchased mostly Profile again for the remodel.

KA DW, Sharp MW drawer, & VAH hood are the only non-GE Profile appliances. Our refrigerator, double ovens, cooktop, and warming drawer are all GE Profile.

• darboydoughboy
    16 years ago

Is the cooling fan (not the convection fan) noisy like it is on the Cafe ovens ? One poster said the cafe cooling fan for the electronics sounds as loud as a microwave fan. Noisy appliances drive my wife nuts. Your response would be most welcome.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Our kitchen is not done yet so I cannot attest to the noise of the cooling fan. From what I've read, some say yes it's noisy others say no, that they can hardly tell it's on.

I recommend you do a search on this topic. But, use the search box on the bottom of the page with the list of threads, not the top box.

• borngrace
    16 years ago

The fan noise is so subjective. It drove my husband nuts -- he was constantly propping the door to turn it off.

Did it bother me -- no. I certainly could hear it, but it didn't grate on me for whatever reason. It did seem to run for a ridiculously long time.

• zoenipp
    16 years ago

The Monogram ZET1's fans are quiet, IMO, as far as oven fans go.

• houscrzy
    16 years ago

Yes the Monogram ZET1's fan is wonderfully quiet. LOVE the oven--door is not flimsy at all.