Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ready2moves

toilet ??????

ready2moves
10 years ago

ok, pulled everything out of the bathroom down to studs and concrete floor.
Came here to ask about seeing if anyone knew of a toilet that takes up little depth space as the door hits the bowl of the old toilet.
Then read about 12 or 14 toilets????
ok, i am lost, so I think if i understand this... the measurement from drywall to the center drain of the toilet I need to buy???
Guess I should of kept the old toilet first before giving it away on craigs list. oops
help... someone explain what toilet I can get and how to figure it...

thanks!

Comments (13)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Ok, I'm no expert, but this will get you started.

First you need to know the "rough in" size, normally 12 inches, but if yours happens to be nonstandard at 10 or 14 inches that is -very- important to know.

Then, since your old one stuck out too far, you need to know how far from the wall the front edge of the old bowl was. Or, probably better, how far the door is from the wall. Your new toilet needs to be a tad shorter than that number.

Find those out and come back.

Depending on you measurements you might have a lot of options or almost none. You may be pleasantly surprised though and still be able to get an elongated bowl, which is by far the preferred option for most people.

• lindalp
    10 years ago

Can you change the door so it swings out instead of in?

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

There are some compact elongated versions out there. A couple come to mind: Kohler Santa Rosa and the Gerber Viper. Not sure I want to sit on the viper, LOL.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I had a round toilet with a 12" rough-in and the door hit it too. The toilet wasn't the problem. It was the original construction of the room and placement of the door.

I think a pocket door, if it would work would be great. You can spend more money and have a hanging toilet where the tank is actually in the wall and only the bowl is in the room but that would mean making a new rough-in.

With my first remodel, I had the plumber move the toilet out from behind my door swing, down the wall a few feet. I couldn't get a pocket door in my wall but did have the option of moving plumbing.

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    10 years ago

have measurements ( FROM STUD ) , as the bathroom is down to all studs and bare floor.

from center of toilet drain, sitting on a toilet :) :
    back : 11 1/4"
    Left (door wall) 22"
    Right wall:13 1/2"

• enduring
    10 years ago

Can you draw a picture :)

I will attach a site that has some good drawings of distances that are recommended for bathrooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated rules of good bathroom design

• lee676
    10 years ago

Looks to me like you'll need one with a 10" rough-in. You only have 11-1/4" from the stud to the center of the drain; with the drywall up, you'll have maybe 10-5/8", well less than the (almost) 12" you need for a 12" rough-in. I recently had to look for a shallow front-to-back toilet; the smallest I could find was the American Standard Colony FitRight, which even in the elongated-bowl version sticks out only 26-1/2" from the wall, and for the small-bowl round version is a mere 24-1/2" (those measurements are for the 10" rough-in versions; the 12" will protrude more). The elongated version, which I'd recommend if it will fit, is available in either "comfort height" or lower standard height (although maybe comfort-height should be called standard nowadays given they sell better). The round bowl is available in the shorter height only.

Although that's the smallest I know of, it's probably not the best, as it's their low-end model; at least it's inexpensive. Never seen one installed so don't know how well it works. Their Cadet 3 and Cadet Pro toilets are also available in compact-elongated 10" rough-in versions that are almost as small, and they're reasonably well reputed although I've never seen one installed either. I wound up buying the aforementioned Gerber Viper compact-elongated which is excellent, but those are 12" rough-in only.

If those aren't short enough to clear the door, you can get commodes where the bowl is placed right up against the wall, and the tank goes in the wall between the studs, which save about 8" of depth. But they're typically wall-mounted and would require some substantial alterations to your plumbing.

Really you should measure the exact distance from the door opened to directly in front of the drain to the wall, subtract 5/8" for the drywall, and make sure your new toilet will fit in that space. The closed seat (not included in published specifications, since the seat usually insn't included) may add a half-inch or so too.

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so what is the problem with the 10" rough-in, is it the tank being too close to the wall?

toto drake is just out of my price range right now, it has a 10"

Putting in a pocket door, so the door problem is gone.

American standard I find Colony = round is cheaper than elongated and SHORTER

at home depot there is a AS Cadet 3, but I think I have to pay shipping
    also they have a marathon elongated

lowes has:
    AS Saver White... but recommend? I can pick it up at the store.

so, I would prefer to pick up at store as in case its broken or I mess up and find it won't work (would really prefer not to do that), I am stuck with the above.

I cant move anything in the wall, as there is a 2nd bathroom that the tub/shower backs this toilet!!! just lovely...

should of kept the toilet instead of giving it away on craigslist with everything else in the bath.

need advice please

• lee676
    10 years ago

Yes, with the dimensions you gave, there isn't enough room to the wall for a 12" rough-in - see the drawing that williamsem provided above to understand how to measure. You need almost 12" from drain center to back wall for a 12" rough-in toilet to fit; you only have 10-5/8" once your drywall goes up. So with a 12" rough-in toilet backed to the wall, the toilet's drain will be an inch in front of the drain in your floor and it won't fit (and you're supposed to leave about 1/2" behind the tank, not have it touching), So based on your drawing, you need a 10" rough-in commode. Lowes seems to only stock 12" rough-ins. HD has one 10" in stock - the American Standard you mentioned. It protrudes 2" further into the room than the Colony FitRight with an elongated bowl, and 4" more than the round-bowl version. However, with the new sliding door, is the length still an issue?

The short, round-bowl unit that only extends 24-1/2" from the wall is sold on Amazon for only $129 including shipping - may be worth the risk of not having a physical store to return to. But again, is the door opening still an issue? (the taller "comfort height" elongated bowls are more comfortable to sit on, i'd recommend them if you have the space).

Here is a link that might be useful: AS FitRight 10

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Door is no longer an issue...
    and right now we are trying to agree on a toilet.
    I like round and short ones, as I am short.
    men in the family want elongated ones.
    I want one that flushes ALL the time
    and I want one that I can clean easily, since I clean up after the 5 men/boys in my family.
    but money is also an issue...
    you can still bump into the front of the toilet after the sliding door, but only if you don't watch where you are going, and in the darkness of night not sure if my younger ones will or not.

• lee676
    10 years ago

Men are always going to want the elongated ones, but they're more comfortable for either gender. If it won't stick out too far to get in the way of walking in and out or reaching the sink, I'd go with elongated. But if you're under 5'5" or so, the short "standard" height will be better for you (I can't stand when my heels can't reach the floor, which is a problem only on the very tall ones).

So what to get? You're constrained by the options available in a 10" rough-in. The Toto CST744SF.10 works great, but is elongated tall only, and a bit pricey (about $300). I'll vouch for the Gerber Avalanche which I recently bought - it works great, and is available in 10" rough in both elongated (21-810) or round (21-800) bowls, those are both shorter height. These are just as good as the Toto in my experience, and about $60 less (and less still for the round bowl model). Almost as good are their next step down in price called the Viper, 21-510 elongated or 21-500 round, again both are shorter height. Those model number are for the 1.6 gallon per flush models; they're also available in 1.28gpf versions that save some water, but don't work as well, in part because a smaller area is normally filled with water. My only beef with these is that they're harder to track down online, and typically are sold at plumbing supply stores where plumbers and contractors buy stuff rather than places that are more consumer-oriented (that's true of Toto too), but I do have one consumer store chain in my area that stocks them. I paid $240 locally for a comfort-height elongated Avalanche with a 12" rough-in; standard height will save money, but 10" rough-ins cost a bit more because they're not as common. I have a Viper in another room and it's almost as good and another $40 less expensive. American Standard also sells a large selection of 10" rough-in toilets in their Cadet 3 and Cadet Pro lines - I've heard they're reasonably good, again with the 1.6gpf models offering more reliable performance at the expense of slightly more water use. They also have those very short depth Colony FitRight models that are the least expensive of anything here. I've never seen installed American Standard commodes of any of these types so can't judge them myself. HD and Lowes both can order American Standard, but only HD stocks a single 10" rough-in model, a 1.28gpf Cadet 3, I think it was elongated short height.

Remember I've never seen your layout, and I don't even have a floorplan, and haven't done my own measurements, and there are other brands I just don't have experience with, and anyway I'm not a plumber or contractor, I just play one on the internet. You may want to have someone knowledgeable look at your room before you buy.

• ready2moves
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks bunches!!
    I think I will go ahead and get the cadet 3 elongated or round depending on what I can find locally in the store as I prefer to buy locally.

wish me luck!

• lee676
    10 years ago

HD has this one. Elongated, short. Should work.

Of course there are local stores besides HD and Lowes if you want something else.: