Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
constmilo

Roof Color Please Help!

constmilo
10 years ago

We are having a terrible time deciding what color our roof should be. Originally it was cedar shake but too $$$ for us. We like the CertainTeed Hatteras line of shingles and are debating between red or black but are also open to suggestions. Once we get the roof replaced we are going to paint the upper part an off white so it looks like the original photo. Your help would be much appreciated!!!

Comments (9)

• constmilo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an old photo.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Wow that photo is amazing. Is it me or is that flapper girl checking her smart phone? If longevity is important then most research suggests that lighter colors are better. Helps comfort and energy costs too.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Personally I like the deep red or at the very least a brown/rustic wood color. Anything else in my mind would look out of place

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Have you looking into any of the roof visualizers?

They are pretty good and several of them allow you to import a picture of your home and change the roof color right there.

Am I the only one that thinks that home would look great with a shake style roof on it (not necessarily wood but a shake look roof)?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I agree with wow but just assumed that an architectural roof type shingle was in the plans.

• constmilo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Certainteed has a visualizer where you upload a photo of your home and in 5-7 days they send back to you to apply different roof colors and types (cost $15 per photo). I have used some of the other visualizers but haven't been happy with the results. Can't wait to see what Certainteed looks like. I will post a photo of the results.

I totally agree it looks like the "flapper" is checking her smart phone. We live in Lansing, MI former home of Oldsmobile. Back in the day Oldsmobile would take advertising photos in our neighborhood. After some research I was able to get my hands on a dozen or so shots. I spent the past two summers removing paint around the window brick coining. When we bought the house the top half was painted bright white right to the window brick mold.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I don't think Hatteras line is worth the money. Just do a thick architectural shingle that is shades of brown...keep it classic and not trendy.

Great photo...a beautiful home!

Pam

• constmilo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sent two photos off to CertainTeed for their home viewer. Hopefully the below links work in case you are interested in seeing what they did. Can't say I am real impressed with it and still can't decide on a color. I am leaning towards a black/charcoal color.

http://colorview.certainteed.com/colorview.html?projectID=9487

http://colorview.certainteed.com/colorview.html?projectID=9485

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would go with a dark brown, not black or charcoal.