Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallybeth_gw

Recessed Medicine Cabinet Mirror Size

sallybeth
14 years ago

Here's my dilemma. I would really like a recessed medicine cabinet above the sink in the kids bathroom. I like the look of Rejuvenation's Mendenhall or Restoration Hardware's Cartwright. What size do I use for a 36" vanity and how high above the vanity should it be? I want the mirror to be low enough so it won't be a problem for the kids to see themselves. (Actually we only have a 2 yr old right now, but he won't be our last)

Comments (11)

• sallybeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, forgot to mention...The framers are finishing up the big stuff and will be working on the little details next week. Any help or pics of what you've done would be great. Thanks!

• pps7
    14 years ago

I am looking at the same RH cartwright as well. I would definately do the small for a 36" vanity. I'm doing a small for my son's bath and his vanity is 48". Part of it depends on how you will do your lights- scones to the side of the cabinet or fixture above. We are starting framing next week. The joists and subfloor on the first floor are in. FYI, RH will have a bath sale shortly after christmas and I plan to purchase the cabinets then.

I'm trying to decide which size to do in the master. We have 2 vanites and each will be about 54-57". The big one sounds enormous, or maybe it feels wrong for that style of cabinet. Any opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: RH cartwright medicine cabinet

• PRO
    Betty Blume Designs
    14 years ago

I bought a gold framed mirror about 27-30 inches and centered it then put two narrow standard photo frames to its left, 6" popular was used to finish sides of inside and frame to allow mirror's frame to just cover (they produde out maybe 1-1.5 inches) I used brass piano hinges to hang all so stress on frame distributed better. I used glass shelves on metal pegs.

You can build side recessed cabinets a different debth than center one, and mount beveled glass. I liked frame so mirror edge doesn't corode on ede as when not protection to the mirror. use pressure closure.

I am just about to design less fancy a frame for my daughters home.

• sallybeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

RH says 'shown in small'. It looks to me like the photo on RH's website of the bathroom with the white walls is the smaller one and the tan walls with double cabinets are the bigger ones. The double sink is a 60' in the pic and I think the big ones look good with it.... not too enormous. Then again maybe its just the angle of the pic and I'm totally wrong.

Hope I understood your question :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cartwright Cabinet

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

I have both the Cartwright single, and single wide vanity in my master bath. I used the Cartwright large, recessed medicine cabinet w/both vanities. I like the look.

• sallybeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sherri 09 , You wouldn't happen to have any photos of them, would you?

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Sallybeth, as you can see from the blue tape the bathroom is still a mess.

First time posting pics...hope this works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cartwright medicine cabinet

• sallybeth
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherri_09, Thanks so much! Just what I needed to see. I want to do sconces on either side like that too. It looks gorgeous! Is the top the one that comes with it?

• pps7
    14 years ago

Thanks Sherri, I'm definately going to get the large.

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

You're welcome. Sallybeth, we purchased ours w/out the tops. Our counters are honed Crema Marfil and we used the RH specs, so they should be very similar.

• minac
    14 years ago

I just went thru the "where to hang the medicine cabinet" dilemna in our bathroom. We ended up going with the height that would be eye level and the top of the cabinet being at least as tall as us - 6ft - even though it is primarily a kids bathroom. We have a small RH cabinet (one of the frameless ones. Since guest also use the bathroom and we will probably use it every now and then until the kids get older, having something we could see in was important. When the kids get older, we will probably hang a mirror in their room.