Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

how to waterproof window for shower?

huango
10 years ago

how to waterproof window for shower stall?

Hola,
In my plan for a masterbathroom, I'm planning for a WET bathroom. Well, the shower is right in front of the window, which canNOT move (since it faces the front of the house).

--> How do I waterproof this window?

Another poster (in HVAC thread) suggested this:
"permanent fix would be to replace the entire window with square glass blocks either set in place with an epoxy grout or silicone. This would satisfy the need for privacy and make the window area virtually trouble and maintenance free." BUT I can't have glass blocks in this window, when the other 4 windows (of a traditional colonial home in New England) are "normal".

Here is an old plan.
I'm tweaking it.
There won't be a door to the shower; the whole room will be a WET room.
I'll post my latest layout soon.

thank you very much for your help,
Amanda

Comments (7)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Below is a link to a diagram that is pretty standard.

Folks typically follow the picture but sometimes caulk the cbu/window joint with a different caulk instead of silicon. If your window is metal, then there are some new caulks that are specifically made for metal. Some folks use Kerdifix. You can also use 3M marine caulk at this joint under the tile.

Some folks use Hydroban instead of Kerdi. But if you have a metal window the Kerdi is better because thinset will adhere to the metal.

The john bridge tile forum has several threads on this topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Homebuilding Waterproof window

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 23:21

• Jack Kennedy
    10 years ago

in my last house I had the window molding made out of corian, rather than wood. I was able to get a color that matched the paint color that i wanted and it will not rot like wood will. My windows were wood, and original to the house (1920) so we used marine paint for this, like they use on the bottom of a boat. Was there for about 8 years and the windows still looked as good as the day it was done.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

No matter what you do it is still a bandaid and will be temporary, needing regular maintenance and constant watching for water infiltration into the walls.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I researched this topic, studied the best way to waterproof and even found pictures and topics where people installed a small glass or plexi glass panel or "mini shower door". I ended up reconsidering creating the new shower in front of the old garden tub window because the shower spray would be directly hitting the window sill. I think that situations where a low and/or large window can be successful is if there is quite some distance from the shower head, for example very large showers.

I suggest you ask this forum for help in redesigning your layout. There is awesome talent here - folks who very creative. They have a knack for getting the best layout out of very small spaces. They are very familiar with plumbing codes and also the available plumbing fixtures. So you may want to create a new thread with a title asking for help in your bathroom design.

• User
    10 years ago

I hate a window in a closet, but in your case, it's a better choice over a window in a shower. That's always waiting for the shoe to drop for moisture damage. Always.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

My brother and sister-in-law have a window in their master closet. They have a bench with an upholstered cushion below it. There is a shoe rack under the bench. It is very nice. You could also install drawers. There is shelving above the window. Everything is custom. Of course there is a granite island and a chandelier too!

But I would keep the bathroom with the window for the natural light and ventilation.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 15:24