Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenworth

Ceramic Non-Stick?

fenworth
17 years ago

I just opened the latest Williams Sonoma catalogue and see a "new" offering: ceramic non-stick pans. They didn't give a brand. I never heard of this, and a quick search here only found references to Scanpan. WS's pans are considerably cheaper, 8" $30, 10" $40, (both for $60), 12" $50.

Any thoughts?

Comments (2)

• summerstar
    16 years ago

I don't believe anyone makes a "ceramic" non-stick pan other than Scanpan. Their pans are made of dark aluminum with a layered base and a not-too-heavy feel. Their non-stick surface is called NewTek and it's part of the ceramic/titanium surface, not painted onto the surface. They say it does not peel, blister or crack and the base is guaranteed not to warp. Scanpan's non-stick also will not produce any fumes because it isn't Teflon! The non-stick surface can handle 500 degrees which you'll never cook at anyhow!

Their NewTek is a far better product than the non-stick they used back in 2004 - 2005. You can put Scanpan into the oven up to 500 degrees. The handles are made of Bakelite. Well all the above sounded good to me, so I got a set for Christmas.

I don't think you can get a good quality Teflon or other non-stick from anyone. Just read the forums. Calphalon's Teflon non-stick flakes and they also can warp. My daughter-in-law just replaced two of her Calphalon pans that are just two years old.

So . . . I got the Scanpan product. Good luck!

• danab_z9_la
    16 years ago

If you leave a scratched aluminum Teflon coated pan in soapy water, the Teflon will flake off bit by bit. Soap reacts with aluminum to form atomic hydrogen. Atomic hydrogen is a very small atom that actually moves into the aluminum pan's metallic structure where it eventually meets up with another atom of atomic hydrogen. The resultant molecule that forms when the two atoms meet is what we know as molecular hydrogen (or H2 gas). The hydrogen gas thus formed by the combination of the two atoms greatly increases the size of the molecule such that it can no longer move into the metallic structure. It is the accumulation of this hydrogen gas between the Teflon layer and the aluminum layer that actually lifts the Teflon off of the aluminum pan. This phenomenon is known as "hydrogen blistering". This is a corrosion mechanism that large petroleum refineries must deal with in certain operating equipment.

Bottom line........If you want your Teflon lined aluminum pans to last longer, do not let them soak is soapy water.
    The teflon coating will flake off if you do. Iwonder why the pan manufactures don't tell us consumers about this????

Dan

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor