Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

The Saga Continues... Best DW for FAT dishes?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone. I am glad I've taken everyone's advice and brought dishes to the store, because boy does it narrow the pool!

Bosch is out.

Asko appears to be out (forgot my dishes, but measured the tines- will check again before it's officially cut)

The two that have interior layouts I love- Samsung and Electrolux- seem to be reviewed as garbage every where I look. The salesman practically forbade me to buy the E'lux Icon. (which make me nervous because my all fridge and all freezer are going to be Icons...)

Haven't seen Miele in person yet as there is only one store in town and has limited hours.

LG can work, but not comfortably, and I had a brand new one at our last house. The cleaning was meh...

KA would work, but doesn't excite me to buy, somehow. Am I missing something wonderful about the KA?

Sooo...Knowing I have hefty dishes (link below) any suggestions?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Big is beautiful

Comments (26)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I suspect that if you had issues with your dishes and Bosch/Asko, the Miele wouldn't work too well either. The previous generation Electrolux DW's were indeed garbage and your salesman was wise to steer you away. However Electrolux has recently started importing a completely new design from Italy, that has been well reviewed by Consumer Reports and Reviewed.com in terms of cleaning performance. In terms of reliability data, and customer reviews... time will tell. If you get an Electrolux be sure you're getting the latest generation.

Samsung: absolute junk. They were the one dishwasher to completely flunk the most recent Consumer Reports cleaning test. They could not even get through a load of dirty dishes without them having to open it and clean the filter mid-cycle. LG, I like a bit better but I would still steer clear. Of those brands, I would choose KitchenAid, because I believe that of those brands, they are the highest quality and easiest to get service and parts for. Oh and it's made in the USA too.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 11:02

• practigal
    9 years ago

Hooray for you! There is so much good advice given here. Congrats for taking the time to really test the dw size before you buy!

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Yep, if the dishes were a tight fit in the Bosch, it will probably be a tight fit in a Miele as well. Not sure about the Electrolux - its tines seem fairly narrow as well.

With my Bosch, I load deep/thick fondue plates in the front row and they fit comfortably. They do fit in the back row - but only by squeezing them in and they start tilting forward.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

whirlpool, are the bottom pix your Bosch? My. Bosch is laid out completely differently. The tines across on the left front are widest, the tines all the way across the back are slightly narrower, and the tines on the right front are the only ones that are really narrow.

• venmarfan
    9 years ago

I suggest checking the Fisher&Paykel DishDrawers, current models have left side tine racks which slide adjust to fit wide or narrow bowls and plates, maybe enough to easily fit yours. The drawer configuration might also appeal to you as much as it does to us. I also would avoid LG and Samsung, after consecutive frustrating repairs friends finally threw out their shiny Stainless Steel LG.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great job bringing your dishes to the appliance store to try.
    I did that also and it was very helpful.

I have a miele. My villeroy fits fine on either side of the DW.
    My good China fits on the right for full size plates.
    I also have WS pantry. I put the plates on the right side and the soup bowls on the left side. The pantry dishes are fatter so might fit.
    You can use either side to load dishes - it is very flexible b

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

It's only been about six months since I've had the Kitchen Aid, but very pleased so far! Cleans wonderfully, and has a high temp wash and a heated dry, which I like.
    Of course, not quite the machine that our old 1985 Hobart K-A was, but much better than the LG we had for a few years in the interim... Chris

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input and pictures! I am always so humbled by how much people go out of their way for each other on this forum.
    The photos make me think I just need to take a whole day and cart my dishes to every appliance store in town :-). It's enough to keep track of the configurations of different brands, but when each brand has three or four different configurations, it's nigh impossible!

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan,

This is actually my mom's Siemens dishwasher bought in 2006. Mine was made in 2010. Both have the same lower rack design, which is largely identical to the Benchmark models I have listed above (the Made in Germany ones).

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Forgive me OP if this comes off as d!ckish. I mean it in the best possible way.

I never understood the idea that one would let $100 plates dictate the purchase of a $1000 dishwasher.

Just as I never understand those people who dismiss a house because their current furniture wouldn't fit perfectly.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny you should mention that, Herrdoktor! Yes, there is a little bit of tail-wagging-the-dog going on here, which I've just recently been given permission (by the DH) to abandon. I just couldn't bring myself to say to him, here are the dishwashers I want... but I will need new dishes for them. My thinking was, "There are DW's that will fit my dishes, so why not choose the one that does? Goodness knows I'm spending enough already." Plus, I REALLY like my dishes.

On the other hand, as you and DH have pointed out, the bigger investment should probably trump the smaller.

I do think that it is still a worthy question, however, as there are people who have heftier dishes which are either valuable or of sentimental value who will want to know what DW would work for them. My sister, for example, is inheriting my grandmother's vintage Fiestaware. If she's really committed to Grandma's dishes, there are probably no Bosches in her future. :-)

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

Just how thick are these plates? I can't find that info online - just the diameter.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, WT. I measured them, and if you include the little "foot" on the bottom of the plates, they are a whopping 1.25" tall. I'm glad to have gone through this exercise. As much as love my dishes, I think it's worth getting another set. We are having dish drawers instead of cabinets, and these monsters are HEAVY.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

?? 1.25 inches tall.

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

Kiwigem,

I have a Miele Classic 4225, a $900 machine, for about 13 months now, and unless you have thin dishes, it will not be a good fit. Possibly the higher end Miele are more flexible.

I have relatively simple, and thin, Corelle dishware that fits very densely in the dishwasher. It's probably twice the capacity, dish-wise, as my old 1998 GE that had really wide slots. I only mention this because if you were willing to switch to thinner dishware, you can probably fit safely 50% more dishware in it, if not 100% more which was my experience.

As for Miele reliability, my experience has been outstanding. If there is one negative with the lower end Miele, it's that dropped silverware will dent the inside front panel. I obviously could eliminate this by loading the basket outside of the machine. Other than that, it cleans spectacularly.

Best appliance in my kitchen.

Laundryvet

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a2gemini, have I ever lied to you? ;-)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laundryvet- Thank you for your input! Maybe my next thread needs to be "which thin dishes?"

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Just checked my K-A, an the tines are exactly 1.25" apart, so it looks like it would work for you.
    Again, I'm really happy with the performance of it, maybe you should give it another look. Chris

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

K - Got it - LOL!
    I was visualizing top to bottom and not surface to top of rim.

I just checked my pantry plates - they are slightly more than 1.25 inches and they fit on either side of the DW. I usually put them in the right side. I know they stand up without additional support.

I use every spot and don't need to skip but it will depend on the shape of the rise of the plate. (but I do have the upgraded rack system)

The pasta bowls with rims are a whopping 2.25 inches. I usually put them in the left side and every other spot. The DW is running so I can't test to see if they will fit in every spot. I can put them on the right side but they will touch on that side. They don't touch on the left side.

It is not just the tine distance but the shape of the tines and shape of the plate that will make it work or not.

Let us know what your exploration finds.
    A2Gemini

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

"It is not just the tine distance but the shape of the tines and shape of the plate that will make it work or not."

True! The Miele racking system "holds" the plates only on its edges, unlike tines that hold them more towards the middle. This MultiComfort plate rack that is shown in the video is available in all current Mieles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Baskets

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

My old Maytag has tines that flip to either fit plates or bowls. I think maybe the current top of the line Maytag might also work. You could also check the Kenmore Elite which Consumer Reports likes.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Whirlpool - interesting video. My DW is 4 years old and has a different basket. I have to look to see if I have any of those cool features.

K - if they changed the baskets - my pictures won't help but I put my pantry dishes in it for you.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

My transferware soup bowls are 2" thick (just measured) and they fit in my Miele. Just not as snugly as other things. There is 7/8" between the dish tines. So the deeper dishes take up 2 spaces.

I would not ever buy a different DW and most here are very happy with their Mieles. Easier to switch out the dishes.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are truly the best.
    We only have one Miele dealer in town and he only has an 18 inch model on display. However I think it will be enough for me to get the general idea. So I am planning a little field trip tomorrow. I'll keep you updated :-)

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

The 18 inch models only have tines... :-/

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dang it!!!!!!