Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

How to clean the actual burners (caps?) on gas range?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I have an NXR range. We've been cooking on it for about 16 months (LOVE IT!) and the front, most-used, burners are getting somewhat discolored. I'm talking about the actual burner caps, with the holes that the flames come out of. Technical name???? I have never had a gas range before. Is this a normal function of the high heat, occasional boil-overs, etc? I'm not sure what they are made of: cast iron or something? I tried just scrubbing with a scrubby sponge and dish soap, but the discoloration and spots remain.

Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• segesta
    13 years ago

I don't have an NXR, but I know what you mean. I just use plain old Easy-Off. Follow the directions.

• User
    13 years ago

"just use plain old Easy-Off"

I don't think this is very good advice - that stuff is caustic and doesn't play well with bare metals like your BURNER RINGS. Almost all manuals will specifically tell users NOT TO USE caustics or abrasive cleaners and or "oven cleaners" on their products.

What does YOUR NXR manual say ???

Typically a brass brush and elbow grease is used the first few times to clean the rings. After that, people get used to the fact that these are tools and they will start to show wear and tear. Clean em up with a damp rag/sponge if a spill crusts over the flame holes, brush em if that doesn't work but my advice is to ignore the heat discoloration. Be careful around the igitors.

If you can't ,perhaps a smoothtop induction cooktop is in your future?

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

stacyneil--

I was coming to ask this same question--I also have an NXR. My spots seem like they might be rust. I might try the suggestions above.

Is your stainless steel under the burners keeping clean? I have what seems like grease around one burner that I can't get off. Because it's stainless steel, I'm afraid to scrub too much and scratch it.

Anyway, if you are able to get the burners cleaned, let us know!

• janewagner
    13 years ago

I have always cleaned my gas range trays, grids, caps with Brillo or SOS pads. Works beautifully but not fun-- I try to wipe up regularly w/ Fantastic or the like in between 'heavy cleanings.' No substitute for steel wool pads on certain tasks.

• amcook
    13 years ago

I'd avoid all chemicals of any kind as they can speed corrosion. If there are plugged openings, I'd suggest boiling water and a pipe cleaner. If you just don't like the way they look because what use to be shiny brass is now dull, I'd use a wire brush. Don't use the wire brush on cast iron surfaces as that can take off the protective enamel and/or seasoned coating. Personally, I don't like tools to look too shiny because then they look more like show pieces. I want people to know my range is well used and well loved.

In other words.. I agree with everything Antss said above. :)

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Follow-up:
    I spoke with a couple of serious-stove repair guys and they all told me that the discoloration is normal. It is caused by the high heat and is unavoidable. They said just to clean off dirt/grease with soap and hot water and not to worry about the discoloration. Well-used burners will never look showroom-new, they said. And I use my burners a lot... so I'm not worrying about it anymore :)

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Hi Staceyneil, I agree that it is best not to worry about the discoloration. I've had my sealed burner gas range for about 16 months. I keep the discoloration to a minimum by scrubbing (just the metal rim) about every six weeks with a small toothbrush and bar keepers friend. They look "almost" new.