Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara9093

Immersion blenders only work for cool foods?

barbara9093
18 years ago

I ordered a Braun Multi-mix 880 hand blender online. It's a little different than the usual stick blender -- it looks more like a hand blender with a stick attachment. It got good reviews on a few different sites, so I took a chance.

But I was just reading the instructions, and I see that it says NOT to use it as an immersion heater in anything hot. You should let your pot of hot foods cool first, then blend, then reheat. If you use the immersion blender in hot liquids, you run the danger of overheating the blender.

The whole reason I bought an immersion blender was to use in hot soups! Is this one different than the ones everyone else has, or do you all just ignore your directions?

Barbara

Comments (17)

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

I use my Bamix in soup all the time. Works just fine. Can't speak to the Braun.

Ken

• deanb
    18 years ago

I have a GE hand blender that I use in soups a lot too. The motor is in the handle, which is isolated from the heat of the liquid, so it's hard to imagine what they're talking about. What good is a hand blender if you can't puree soup with it?

• pratzert
    18 years ago

That sounds very strange to me. I wonder if some sort of "Liability" statement.

Maybe afraid someone will forget to turn it off before they remove it from some hot food and spray themselves in the face and then sue Braun.

I've used my Braun stick in hot foods before... no problem.

Tim

• leel
    18 years ago

I have a Swiss blender from Sonoma. Use it in hot soup all the time.

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

My KitchenAid is used primarily in hot foods with no problem so far. I will read the owners manual to see if KA also says no hot foods. I will report back.

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all, and Mustangs - I'll be waiting for your report!

Barbara

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Barbara, I was confident that I could put my hands on my owners manual as I am

but I have failed! I guess that I thought there wasn't enough information to save. So I emailed Kitchenaid with the question.

The question about heat seems to be sidestepped in the FAQ's

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchenaid

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mustangs - Very nice organization!!!!!! You even are set up to take a picture and embed it in your text. I am impressed!

I e-mailed Braun, but they haven't gotten back to me. I decided to return the unit anyway - it seemed awkward to hold over a pot, (it looks more like a blender than a stick) and I really didn't need all the attachments. I'll get one of the ones that have been mentioned above, if I can still find them in the stores.
    Barbara

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Barbara, Thanks. I was BBB today and compared the watts for the Braun (300) and the KitchenAid (200). I would think that would be a consideration too.

• JXBrown (Sunset 24, N San Diego County)
    18 years ago

I've had a Braun since 1993. I've never once used it on cool food. It's so much easier than ladling hot soup into a blender although I'm not patient enough to make everything come out completely lump free.

• barbara9093
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I got a response from Braun about the Multi-mix. It is NOT supposed to go in hot foods. Here's what they said:

"I apologize that you cannot use your M880 in hot foods. The product that you would want to buy would be the MR5550. This is a hand blender with a metal stick attachment that you will be able to use in hot foods."

Barbara

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Barbara, sounds like the key is the metal shaft. The KA has the metal shaft so it's okay with hot. Today at Target I did see an Oster that had 250 watts. I would look for the highest wattage along with the metal shaft.

• kbuzbee
    18 years ago

That makes sense. My Bamix is all metal shaft as well. Not sure what the wattage is but it handles anything I throw at it.

Ken

• mustangs81
    18 years ago

Just got a message back from KitchenAid:

Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!

The Immersion Blender certainly can be used with hot liquids! In fact, many customers purchase the Immersion Blender just for blending soups and stews, to name a few.

• kframe19
    18 years ago

I'm looking at a Kitchen Aid stick blender right now, and the metal shaft is a BIG consideration, both for longevity and for using in hot foods.

• Andrea P
    3 years ago

Metal shaft scratched the bottom of my Instant Pot stainless inner pot. I bought a Sencor all-plastic housing immersion blender instead, but I'm concerned that the plastic will leach chemicals into the hot liquid. I'm beginning to think it's worth the extra effort to ladle hot soup into my VitaMix in batches.

• Andrea P
    3 years ago

Metal shaft scratched the bottom of my Instant Pot stainless inner pot. I bought a Sencor all-plastic housing immersion blender instead, but I'm concerned that the plastic will leach chemicals into the hot liquid. I'm beginning to think it's worth the extra effort to ladle hot soup into my VitaMix in batches.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County