Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfgang80_gw

Cedar Shingle Siding

wolfgang80
12 years ago

We are adding and replacing enough windows and doors that we are now considering to remove all of the stucco on the house and replace it with cedar shingles. We are in Southern California across the street from the beach, so we get a lot of wet salty air. I've been reading as much as I can but still have some questions that I hope some of you can answer.

1) Sheathing vs. Furring Strips. Behind the stucco are just studs. Should we just hang tar paper and then nail horizontal 1x2 furring strips on top of the tar paper every 5" or so where the nailing for the shingles will take place. For the shingles that get nailed to the strips between the studs, is that enough wood to support the shingle? Should we treat the furring strips? The other option is an OSB or plywood sheathing in lieu of the furring strips.

2) 15 or 30 lb tar paper?

3) Western Red or Eastern White cedar? I can't seem to glean a consensus which probably means that it doesn't matter which one we choose. We've been told that both the red and white can be stained to a very light, almost oyster gray, so the aspect of the white cedar turning gray wouldn't be a reason for choosing it since we will be pre-staining it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (2)