Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Should adjustable hinges match unlacquered brass handles or...s

threeapples
12 years ago

should we do white? This is for the swinging french patio doors going from our keeping room into our covered patio. The door handles will be unlacquered baldwin brass and Marvin said I need adjustable hinges for these doors, but they don't have unlacquered brass. Should I do regular brass or just do white? thanks!

Comments (6)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

I have seen quite a few jobs where people had the same issue. You have 2 choices really, a) have the brass adjustable hinges lacquer finish removed, or b) use the brass finish they have available off the shelf. My choice would most definitely be to use the Adjustable Hinges always and go with the standard brass finish they offer for the hinges as I do not think anyone would hardly notice.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Not sure how they handled the issue for us. There is a huge difference between the unlacquered brass color and the lacquered brass, at least based on the unlacquered brass hardware and lacquered brass hinges (which are being changed out) that we have on some of our french doors. The unlacquered brass hinges for our french door aren't in yet, but we are getting them. The doors were shipped with stock hinges and they are switching them out.

I would delacquer the brass, personally, as I don't think the white will look right. Or switch to lacquered brass knobs . . .

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You can always lacquer the lacquered parts.

There are tinted lacquers, but for brand new hinges deft clear wood finish in a spray can would be fine.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

You made me wonder so I emailed my builder. The front and friends porch door (walnut) were shipped with odd hinges and those were switched out to unlacquered brass (Deltana).

The Kolbe doors still have random hinges. We have several that swing outward so those need special hinges. We may have to stick with the lacquered brass on those in the basement as there is some sort of anti theft mechanism. However, the hinge is actually on the outside of the door so not visible inside, and I expect they will weather pretty quickly out there.

I'll let you know what he says. My builder has done this before (unlacquered brass is the rage in high end houses in Atlanta), so he should have some insight. I do know he never (or rarely) goes with the door manufacturer handles - he just gets them delivered handle ready. The same went for hinges on ours - random hinges to be switched later because they weren't in stock when the doors were installed.

For our interior doors, they got the hinges we wanted (Baldwin unlacquered brass everywhere except master bath which will be polished nickel), and the door supplier is installing the hinges before delivery.

The choice of unlacquered brass certainly complicates things! It is so pretty though - and I think I would do it again even with all the headaches.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone. i think i'm going to go with lacquered brass adjustable hinges for these patio doors and either treat them or unlacquer them myself someday. for the interior doors i'm going to get them all unlacquered to make it easier for myself! i appreciate the help.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

We found the best price on unlacquered brass hinges (solid brass - be careful because some are not) to be the Baldwin ones. We went with the butt hinges on the exterior doors but even though I do like those better they are much more expensive and we had a lot of interior doors (close to 50). We did the radius hinges inside because they could be prepared by the machinery at the warehouse and not cut in by hand (which would have cost 5.00 per hinge extra which mounted up!)