Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ourhome2007_gw

Show me your house fronts.Please:)

ourhome2007
17 years ago

Would love to see pics of house fronts:)

Thanks!

Leslie

Comments (150)

• brutuses
    16 years ago

tragusa3, nothing wrong with modest. I guess I have what one would call a modest house also. To me it's a mini planation. See, I'll never live to have the real thing and this is as close as I'll get. LOL!! You have a beautiful house. Can't wait to see the inside.

• hrc1217
    16 years ago

Here's ours. Broke ground beginning of April of this year.

{{gwi:1517965}}

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

photobucket doesn't seem to keep pics very long... otherwise some good history on this thread

• sdionnemoore
    16 years ago

Oh, how wonderful to see these lovely homes. We just began ours--link below since I seem to be picture-post challenged. The page shows pics from day 1 of our build to the present, or almost present, I haven't updated in a week because my husband took the camera with him on his trip to India. You'll have to scroll to see the actual house. Sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our house as it's being built

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

My in-progress house is pictured above, so I might as well update with the finished product

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

Here is mine missing stain, paint, and a deck.

• meckam
    16 years ago

We have a lot to go...broke ground Sept 07. Hoping to be in by June. It'll have a white wrap around porch soon I hope.

• worthy
    16 years ago

Custom Build, August 2007 completion

• worthy
    16 years ago

Personal home, Completion 2006

• snubile
    16 years ago

Frank Betz's Kirklnad plan
    Broke ground Oct 1, 2007
    Hoping to close March 21, 2008
    {{gwi:1517968}}
    The front door will be painted a shade of barn red once we are moved in. Black shutters will be on the upper level windows only.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

We're in our ninth month, and I bet it'll be two more months before we're in; the front still looks (pretty much) like this, though!

• worthy
    16 years ago

What an impressive collection of custom, sometimes idiosyncratic, homes! And only a few of us, I see, live on less than a dozen acres overlooking a lake or with a mountain vista. I guess that eliminates the need for a cottage getaway. (Probably not.)

"Everything old is new again" is theme of this 19th C. custom home completed in 2007 in the Toronto neighbourhood of York Mills. I look forward to working with this designer.

Too bad about the broken links.

• breezytoo
    16 years ago

HappyKate,
    Please tell me the color names & brand of paint you have used ...we have built a small modern farmhouse in the PNW & are also wanting to paint it red!

Thanks!!

• kellywa
    16 years ago

happykate: i just happened upon your house. it is fantastic. we will be building in the columbia river gorge and have come up with some ideas of houses similar to yours. i searched your posts and only saw the pic with the front of your house. do you have any other pics for us to admire?

breezytoo: i also see that you built a modern farmhouse-do you have any pics?

this has been a long process for us but i always lurk. can't wait to start really posting and get lots of advice.

thanks in advance.
    kelly

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Thanks, Kelly & breezy! I posted re: the colors on the newer thread, breezy. Where are you?

Kelly, I'll get some new pictures tomorrow; if I can get Photobucket to accept them (definitely not a given) I'll post them tomorrow night. It's a pretty simply laid out house but our own plans, and I think it will work very well for us.

Kate.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Worthy, the home completed in 2006 is beautiful, but that little tree smack dab in the middle of the photo, blocking the front door, is driving me nuts. Is it blocking the door like that in person?

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Kelly, DH had the camera today (unsuccessfully) fishing for salmon on the Straits. I'll try to get some tomorrow, but here's one he took from the boat today:

That's us, perched too near the edge for my peace of mind!

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

happykate- I have always loved your house, but that view is equally lovely...albeit a little frightening! I hope that you don't have anyone in your family (or any guests) who ever does some sleepwalking!! How high up is that cliff?

• kellywa
    16 years ago

Kate,
    What an awesome view. We have a south facing view to Mt. Hood that will be the front (or back depending on how people view it) of our house. Too bad about no fish today. Thanks again,
    Kelly

• worthy
    16 years ago

brutuses said: driving me nuts

I just noticed that too!

But it's only a matter of perspective.

And season.

Springtime in Toronto

I once had a home atop the Scarborough Bluffs, 220' above Lake Ontario, just east of Toronto. After 20 feet of my rear yard sheered off in one shot, I decided it was time to sell! Happy Kate's home looks more solidly situated.

Scarborough Bluffs (Toronto) source: Scarborough Historical Society

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Ah, thanks Worthy, that's better. Thanks!!

Kate, that view is making me weak just looking at it. Me and my fear of heights, you know. It is beautiful though I must say.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

About 130' from ground to water. What you can't see from this picture is the 'bench', about 40' down from the deck. It's reached by a pretty steep path, but the deer can do it (and so can I!); it's about the size of several football fields, and I feel (and so do the geologists and bluff stability pros we had to hire) that, along with the fact that we're bedrock all the way down, the bench and all it's vegetation buys us a couple of dozen decades of safety.

(Me, I'd have built abut 2000' further away. The Big One could come along at any time . . . but DH is an on-the-edge kind of guy. I guess it takes one earth scientist to trust another.)

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

Such beautiful homes!

Here is ours, minus the wrap around deck w/ natural branch railing that goes across the entire front. This home is our own design and we are doing all the construction ourselves.......

We also built a 3 car detached garage that sits to the left of the house. It's actually attached by an underground "tunnel".....

We are on a hill and have lovely, 360 degree views....

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

Before the front door was put in. This is a Timber Frame home and we are GC/DIY. There will be a set of 3 windows on that front peak over the porch.

Front door

Back of house so you can see the siding:

• whitneymac
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1517993}}

We bought enough land for future expansion...

• Happykate
    16 years ago

whitneymac, that is so much FUN! (Is it . . . real? or are you a Photoshop talent?)

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

happykate WOW! That is impressive. I've seen the front but not the back of your house before. It takes my breath away.

flowechild I think we have the same front door! Is it mahogany? Unfortunately, we only have the sidelights in so far with a bang door, but if memory serves me correctly, they are close, if not identical. Is the manufacturer International Door?

• brutuses
    16 years ago

whitney, that is so funny. Where did you find that photo?

• whitneymac
    16 years ago

As far as I know, the picture is for real! I have no information on it, unfortunately. My brother sent it to me.

• Denise Evans
    16 years ago

Our front door!

• User
    16 years ago

Here's the lake side of our house, what we call the front. Still not done yet, but we're getting closer! Maybe by fall 2008.

• willie_nunez
    16 years ago

I'm still not totally finished with our affordable in-city small house. It's a purpose-built maintenance-free house which is ideal as an RV base(sunbelt central, with RV hookups in the backyard, front and side driveways).
    One unique feature is that NOTHING exterior is made of wood, except for the mahogany front door.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Willie, I'm so glad to see your house! I followed your build, and I think this is the first photo I've seen of it finished. It looks SUPER! way to go!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

happy, you need to go over to the small house forum and see the inside of Willie's house. It is absolutely beautiful. He down plays his house because it's not a sprawling mansion, but it is truly beautiful. His wife has exceptional taste in decorating.

• sheriberrie
    16 years ago

Willie,
    I love your house. This is the exact same design that I am building. Can I ask what the dimensions are ? Roof pitch?
    I also want to go with maintenance FREE.

• dalcolli
    15 years ago

Bump (hopeful for more updates :)

• garymunson-2008
    15 years ago

Here's ours in DeLand FL (home of Stetson University)prior to landscaping.

Gary

• dalcolli
    15 years ago

garymunson-2008 - gorgeous! Just love that green!

• jeniferrlynne
    15 years ago

New recent photos anyone?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I thought I had posted previously, but evidently not. I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's photos. What lovely homes.

Here's ours, summer and now:

• brutuses
    15 years ago

rhome, that second one is a postcard/greeting card front. Thanks for posting.

I'm sad to say our house still looks the same. We've finished the door, but esentially we're not finished so there is still no landscaping or brick steps, drive, etc. Sorry.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Brutuses, the snow covers our lack of landscaping! ;-) Our driveway was already in when we moved in...We just add more gravel every once in a while... I was hoping we'd at least level and plant some grass seed this fall, but it didn't happen.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

At least you have snow! The little we had, was melted the moment it hit the ground. LOL

I'm not even concerned about landscaping. If I can just get the cement poured and the brick steps and front complete, that will add so much to the house. Heck, I'm not above putting in some fakes temporarily. LOL

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

I love threads like this that show the diversity of the homes and parts of the country that we're building in. Each and every one of them is beautiful!

Here's ours...

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I would love to tour each and every one of these beautiful homes. Thanks for sharing.

• liptonjl
    15 years ago

• angelcute
    15 years ago

These are BBBeautiful homes!!!!!!!!!

• drjay71
    15 years ago

Here is ours. Due to be finished in June.

• okinawan
    15 years ago

I love seeing these...!! Those are some amazing homes...! Mine is very humble compared to many of them, but it's mine and I *heart* it...we're in Coastal SC...