Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbaok

LOOKING for: banana cake recipes needed please!

barbaok
20 years ago

Looking for a few good recipes for my husbands favorite cake!

thanks so much

Barb

Comments (22)

• becky_ca
    20 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Check under the Recipe Exchange forum - there's a couple of really great looking ones there.

Becky
    Windsor, CA

• becky_ca
    20 years ago

Well, now I feel really silly. I just realized that you were also the one who posted the request there, so obviously you have probably checked there...

Becky

• ginger_st_thomas
    20 years ago

Here's another one I like:
    TAQUERIA VICTORIA'S BANANA CAKE
    3 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    1 cup butter, melted
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup sour cream
    4 very ripe bananas, mashed
    3 cups flour
    Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour a 10" Bundt pan; set aside.
    Place sugar in a large mixing bowl. In the order listed, stir in eggs, butter, baking soda, sour cream & bananas. Stir in flour, 1 cup at a time until just mixed.
    Spoon batter into the prepared pan & bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes ut clean. Cool cake in pan for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan & cool completely. Sprinkle top w/powdered sugar.~~

• alison
    20 years ago

Last winter/this spring Penzey's spices had a recipe in their catalog for "Gram's Banana Cake" that was the best I have ever had. The chocolate icing receipe they included was a bit too much, but the cake was perfect.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have it on their website, so I'll dig it out at home and post it later. I actually wrote it out long hand in my blank cookbook -- it's that good!

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

Hey Alison, if you find that recipe, please post!

I am KICKING myself for tossing all my old Penzey's catalogues. All the great recipes! Now they sell them for $5.00 a pop!

• danain
    19 years ago

This is our favorite. The filling for this is incredible!

Banana Cake

2/3 cup shortening
    2 1/2 cup sifted cake flour
    1 2/3 cup sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/4 Cup mashed, ripe bananas
    2/3 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    2/3 cup chopped pecans
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir shortening to soften. Sift in dry ingredients. Add bananas and vanilla with 1/2 of buttermilk; mix until flour is moist. Beat 2 minutes. Add remaining buttermilk and eggs. Beat 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes in two 9-inch cake pans. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans, cool completely. Fill and top with the following:

3/4 cup evaporated milk
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 egg yolks
    3 tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    1/4 cup mashed bananas
    1 teaspoon vanilla

In a saucepan combine sugar, milk, yolks and butter. Cook over medium heat about 10 to 14 minutes until thickened; stirring constantly. Add nuts, bananas and vanilla. Cool to spreading consistency; stirring occasionally.

Marilyn

• jenn
    19 years ago

This one is incredible. It's so moist, it needs no frosting.

Old Fashioned Banana Cake

1/2 cup cooking oil
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups mashed bananas
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 cup milk plus 1 tsp. vinegar (mixed together)
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
    Grease and flour two 8-inch round or square cake pans.

Mix cooking oil and sugar until well blended; add eggs and bananas. Beat well.

Add soda to milk and vinegar mixture. Combine flour, baking powder and salt, then add to banana batter alternately with milk and vinegar mixture. Add chopped nuts (optional) and mix well.

Pour into cake pans and bake at 325F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. The recipe card includes the following note: "May be frosted with a banana frosting or eaten plain -- it is delicious either way."

Note: The recipe doesn't include instructions for greasing/flouring the pans, but I'm sure it is a good idea to do that. My husband made this in a 9" square glass dish.

Jen

• roselin32
    19 years ago

Here is the one from Penzey's:
    Gram's Banana Cake
    2 1/2c sugar
    1c shortening or butter
    4 eggs
    1c sour cream
    2 tsp baking soda
    3c all purpose flour
    1T pure vanilla extract
    6 very ripe bananas(2 1/2c)
    Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 9" cake pans and set aside.Cream together sugar and shortening. It will be dry and crumbly. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking soda. Add to the creamed mixture and beat well. Add banana and vanilla-and beat well. Divide evenly between the pans and bake 30-35 minutes or til tests done. Cool a few minutes and remove from pans. Finish cooling on wire rack and may freeze at this point. If freezing, there is no need to thaw before frosting.
    Frosting:
    6c powdered sugar
    1/2c cocoa
    1/2c butter, softened
    1/2c brewed strong coffee
    Sift powdered sugar and cocoa` together. Add softened butter and mix on very low speed til incorporated. Add coffee and beat til smooth.
    Serves 8-10

This is from Taste of Home and it is also excellent:
    Banana Snack Cake
    1/2c shortening
    3/4c packed brown sugar
    1/2c granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1c mashed ripe bananas
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2c all purpose flour or whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    1/2c buttermilk
    1/2c chopped nuts
    Frosting:
    1/2c packed brown sugar
    1/4c butter or marg.
    6T milk
    2 1/2-3c powdered sugar
    In a mixing bowl cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 9x13" pan and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or til tests done. Cool on wire rack.
    Frosting:`
    Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 2 minutes and remove from heat; cool to lukewarm and gradually beat in powdered sugar til it reaches spreading consistency.
    Frost cooled cake.
    We really enjoy this one.
    RL`

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    19 years ago

Thanks all, glad I rescued this thread from oblivion.

• ginger_s
    19 years ago

This is a recipe from Paula Deen's Wedding show. It was the groom's cake. I haven't tried it but it looks good.

Ginger

Banana Nut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
    courtesy Paula Deen
    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Inactive Prep Time: 45 minutes
    Cook Time: 28 minutes
    Yield: 18 to 20 servings
    User Rating:

Cake:
    Butter, for greasing pans
    3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    4 large ripe bananas, mashed
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    Frosting:
    1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
    1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cook's Note: This recipe is not formulated for a wedding cake, but for a normal size everyone can use. Increase as needed if you are making tiered or extra large cakes.

Butter and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cake:
    In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Stir in the banana, pecans, and vanilla. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake layers in the pans for 10 minutes, and then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. While the cake cools, make the frosting.

Frosting:
    In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the pecans, or reserve them to sprinkle over the frosted cake. Fill and frost the cake when it is completely cool.

• roselin32
    19 years ago

I've seen a couple of recipes just lately for Banana Cake with cream cheese icing-think that would really be good.
    Thanks.
    RL`

• marylmi
    19 years ago

Here is a recipe that my husband likes really well. It is from the "Heavenly Delights" cookbook that I got at Hallmark many years ago.

Banana Sheet Cake

two sticks oleo
    one half cup water
    two cups sugar
    one quarter cup sour milk
    one cup mashed bananas
    two eggs
    two cups flour
    one teaspoon baking soda
    one half teaspoon salt
    Bring oleo and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add sugar, then rest of ingredients. Pour into a 12x18 cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Frost immediately (or you can wait a while). FROSTING: Beat one quarter cup oleo & one pound of powdered sugar. Add, one third cup of mashed bananas, one teaspoon vanilla, & one half cup chopped nuts. Spread over hot or warm cake. Enjoy!

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Mary, that sounds good & plus it's easy. Only one pot to wash too, other than the baking pan. Thanks!

• marylmi
    19 years ago

I forgot to say to spray the cookie sheet, and for the frosting I add a little more oleo. I plan on trying out these other recipes as they sound very good!

• coronabarb
    18 years ago

Someone in the Cooking Forum recommended this thread. I'll have to get these recipes printed out. Can someone explain to me how to save a whole thread? I think I've read it before but can't remember how.

coronabarb, who used to just read all your wonderful recipes until I became a member and can play for REAL now, LOL!

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Just click on "File" (if you're a Windows user) & then "Save As. . ." I store things in "My Documents."

• zoraida
    17 years ago

Penzey's had another banana cake recipe: Banana Nut Coffee Cake with Caramel Icing (made in a bundt pan). It was so delicious! I believe it may have come out of a 2002-2003 catalog. Does anyone have this recipe? I had the original page ripped out of the catalog, and used it this past Easter. Unfortunately, I believe an over-zealous helper may have thrown out my sheet during the after dinner clean-up. Ugh!

Zori

• roselin32
    17 years ago

zoraida, you might try emailing or calling them-I've looked thru all of my Penzey's catalogs and didn't find it but can't find my 2004 issues either. All they can say is "no". Worth a try or maybe they would publish it in their new magazine??
    RL`

• kathyskitchen
    17 years ago

Tennessee Banana-Black Walnut Cake with Caramel Frosting courtesy Paula Deen
    Yield: 12 servings
    Cake:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    1 cup chopped black walnuts*
    Frosting:
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
    1 cup packed dark brown sugar
    1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more as necessary
    1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    1 (16-ounce) box confectioners sugar
    2 cups finely chopped black walnuts, for garnish (optional)*
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
    For the cake: In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking soda; set aside.
    Using an electric mixer, cream together shortening and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
    Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in mashed bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla.
    Add flour mixture, mix until just combined. Stir in black walnuts.
    Pour into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
    Cool in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
    Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Melt butter in small saucepan. Add brown sugar and 1/3 cup cream.
    Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
    Transfer to a large bowl.
    Using a handheld electric mixer, beat in confectioners' sugar a little at a time until smooth.
    If frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time until consistency is right.
    Sandwich 2 layers of cake with frosting. Frost the outside of the cake.
    Press chopped black walnuts on the sides of the cake, if desired.
    *Cook's Note: DO NOT substitute English walnuts for black walnuts.

BANANA SPICE CAKE Yield: 12 servings
    Bananas, pecans and currants give rich flavor to this recipe.
    Baking 1 hrs. 20 min.
    3/4 cup currants or raisins
    1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, melted*
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    3 medium bananas, peeled, chopped 1/2-inch
    3/4 cup chopped pecans
    Topping Ingredients:
    Vanilla ice cream, if desired
    Caramel sauce, if desired
    Instructions:
    Heat oven to 325°F. Combine currants and orange liqueur in small bowl; let soak 30 minutes.
    Drain well. Set aside.
    Combine sugar, butter, eggs, orange peel and vanilla in large bowl.
    Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
    Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Beat until well mixed.
    Stir in soaked currants, bananas and pecans by hand.
    Spoon into greased and floured 9-inch springform pan.
    Bake for 80 to 90 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
    Cool 10 minutes; remove sides of pan. Cool completely. (Cake may dip slightly in center upon cooling.)
    Top each serving of cake with ice cream and drizzle with caramel sauce, if desired.
    *Substitute LAND O LAKES® Soft Baking Butter with Canola Oil. Calories: 330

Banana Cake Cockaigne Adapted from Joy of Cooking
    Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (8 or 9 inch) or one 9X13 inch rectangular pan.
    I usually line pans with waxed paper before I grease and flour.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Mash two ripe bananas, or enough to make one cup.
    Add
    1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream (fat free is OK) ot buttermilk
    and 1 teaspoon vanilla
    Sift together:
    2 1/4 cups flour (Cake flour)
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cream in a large mixing bowl:
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    Add 2 eggs, one at a time,
    Add the flour mixture, alternating with the banana puree, STIR until smooth after each addition. ( DO NOT OVER MIX...THINK MOISTEN)
    Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake at 350 until the cake springs back when touched, about 30 to 40 minutes.
    Sprinkle with powdered sugar if serving warm or frost with a chocolate frosting, mock whipped cream frosting. or a cream cheese frosting.
    I make it with the Mock Whipped Cream Frosting and sprinkle the filling and top with a crushed Heath Bar.

Mock Whiipped Cream
    Frosting Ingredients:
    2/3 cup milk
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup sugar
    2/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    combine milk, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 1-quart saucepan.
    Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil (4 to 6 minutes). Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat.
    Cover surface with plastic food wrap; cool completely (1 hour).
    Beat 2/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
    Continue beating, gradually adding cooled flour mixture and scraping bowl often, until light and fluffy. Frost cooled cake.

Banana Cake Mocha Frosting:
    6c powdered sugar
    1/2c cocoa
    1/2c butter, softened
    1/2c brewed strong coffee
    Sift powdered sugar and cocoa` together. Add softened butter and mix on very low speed till incorporated. Add coffee and beat till smooth.

• lauriejs
    15 years ago

I have found that most banana cake recipes turn out like a banana bread...just a change in the pan. Can anyone tell me what makes the difference in the heavy bread and the nice lighter cake. I had the most marvelous banana cake at a country club once....a real banana cake! Are any of your recipes like cake and not bread? Thanks!

• Bev Cashen
    15 years ago

The difference could be in the flour you use.

Here is a recipe that is moist, with a lighter crumb in my opinion.Use "PASTRY" flour, not the other flours. It really does make a difference. Bake in a 9X13 inch pan.

BANANA CAKE (per Mrs. Hill)

2&2/3 c. pastry flour
    2&2/3 c. sugar
    3/4 t. BP
    1&1/2 t. BS
    1 t. Kosher salt
    3 large or 4 small VERY ripe bananas
    3 large, fresh eggs (room temp)
    1/2 c. buttermilk (room temp)
    3/4 c. oil (Canola or other)
    1&1/2 t. pure vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees

Sift together the flour, sugar, BP, BS, and salt.
    In your KA mixer mash the bananas.
    Mix in the eggs one at a time until each is completely incorporated.
    Then mix in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
    Then mix the dry ingredients into the batter just until thoroughly combined.

Pour into a 9X13 inch greased pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
    Cool on a rack.

We use a cream cheese frosting on this delicious cake.

Good luck :)

Sponsored