Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Painter got primer all over hardwood floors.

threeapples
11 years ago

He used one small drop cloth in the middle of the room and the spray primer fallout created a distinct line around the tiny cloth. These are unsanded floors, but I'm still livid at the lack of planning here. Can this be fixed?

Comments (7)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Yes--when they sand. That's why you wait until painting is complete before finishing the floors. Hardwood floor finishing should really be the VERY last construction thing that happens so no other trade messes them up (i.e. paint, grout, appliance & fixture install, boot marks from the sub who didn't heed the sign posted at the door and walked across a still wet floor finish, etc)

• iPaint1
    11 years ago

This is really not a problem. There have been houses where we have gotten a considerable amount of paint on the unsanded hardwood floor (1-2 mils, you're talking less than 0.25 mils there, it's overspray) and the sanding has taken the paint completely off. I've even had flooring guys tell me don't worry about the floors. Have them mask off around doorways and baseboard when spraying trim. Other than that, it will sand off without problem.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's what my painter said and I really do trust him, but wanted to double check since I'm new to all of this. The builder was annoyed about it so that got me irritated. Glad it's not a big deal.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

threeapples--wasn't it your builder who said he likes to prime the walls, then finish the hardwoods, then paint trim & walls? (If I've got you confused with another poster, I apologize.) This is a prime example of why that is a horrible idea. If it happens with primer, count on it happening with paint--even if the paint is rolled on vs. sprayed.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that was my builder.

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

Yes, it will come off in the finishing even if they have to use a rougher grit, but that's really not the issue. It shouldn't have happened in the first place and IMO shows a lack of professionalism on the part of the painter and a lack of supervision on the part of the builder. That seems to be a recurring theme in your build based on your posts. Hopefully there is a lot we aren't seeing that is going well.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our trim and tile are perfect! Yes, quite a bit looks great. I post my concerns about what seems problematic.