Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phobie_privett

Ending backsplash at end wall

Phobie Privett
16 years ago

I know lindybarts already posted this questions several months ago with some photoshop pics, but I think I need to see some real pics, if you've got 'em to share...How did you return your backsplash at an end wall (like inside a butler pantry area)? Did you go all the way to the front edge of the counter, just halfway, diagonal, just one row to the edge of the counter? I need to make a decision by tomorrow and I've stared at lindy's photoshop pics so long I'm cross-eyed! THANKS!

Comments (9)

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

LOL Superchick! I am rushing out the door but I can show you how it turned out when I have a chance later to snap a photo. Both hubby and I like what we chose but agree it might have looked a little better with a finishing piece added to the end instead of the rough travertine edge.

Did you see Bill V's website with all the different things he's done over time? I can't find it right now but I think he answered me on my previous question.
    Lindy

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Okay, here's some quick pictures. The area in the kitchen has wood on one side (built in fridge) and tile on the other. The Butler's Pantry has tile on both sides. I think it looks fine. When I was contemplating this decision, many people thought I should leave the side wall alone. But I felt like it would be unfinished looking.

I found Bill's website. Scroll about halfway down on the backsplash page and he has a few different ways to do it.

Kitchen

Butler's Pantry

Close up of the edge

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill V's Website

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks lindy! I knew you'd come to the rescue. You're the first one I thought of when this issue came up, but the problem is that my tile is just opposite of yours-with the larger tile on the diagonal and the accent straight. So they'll have to cut some trim pieces I guess. I'd rather just not have anything, but I'm sure that's not a good idea. I'm going now to look at Bill's site. Thanks for the link!

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Forgot to tell you that your kitchen (and everything else) is just gorgeous-I knew it would be!!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Thank you Superchick! I think your tile guy will know how to finish it off with the diagonal pieces. He'll just cut some to make a straight line at the end. I see one like that on Bill's site.

There's one I love in the FKB that has diagonal tile. It's Ohiokelly's. She did a finish piece on hers. This shot is from her album on the FKB. I hope it's okay to post the link since it's on the blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1520426}}

• va_rosemary
    16 years ago

I may be too late posting this, but mine is like lindybarts. Sorry, it isn't a close up, but this is the best picture I had of the sidesplash.

Lindy, on the side where your granite meets up to the wood, what did they use to join the two? There is a very small space between mine right now and I was wondering if it gets siliconed or if something else is put in there.

Thanks!

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I'm thinking that I'm going to do just what you guys did. I can't think of a better way to do it. That link to OhioKelley's kitchen was great! Thanks lindy. I would love to do mine that way, but I had the hardest time finding some rope tile! Can you imagine? How frustrating! Anyway, the tile guy was suggesting going up diagonally and I just DON'T think that's going to look right. Need to decide today! UGH!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Va_Rosemary, I wasn't here when the granite was installed but it sure looks like a very, very thin line of grout between the wood and slab.

Superchick, does your tile guy mean going up all the way to the ceiling? Hope you get it figured out. And remember, most people don't even notice this kind of detail except us Gardenweb obsessed folks. ;c)

Lindy

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lindy, no, he meant diagonal from the edge of the counter to the edge of the front of the upper cabinet. Not gonna do that. LOL :).
    Went to Lowe's and actually found some rope trim I think might work for around the top. It's not the same brand or color, but I think it'll be okay! Doesn't matter for today, tile guy didn't show. SIGH.