Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

best way to hoop and stabilize towels?

tami_ohio
19 years ago

I have been asked to put an initial on a few towels and was wondering what the best stabilizer is to use and the best way to hoop. Thanks.

Tami (PE-150)

Comments (8)

• deSha
    19 years ago

Hi Tami, I have a Janome, but I would think the process would be the same. I have done quite a few towels and the way I do it is I hoop a medium to heavy tearaway stabilizer. I then spray some 505 adhesive on the stabilizer, then place the loose towel on top of the stabilizer in the position you want it. I usually try to pin the towel to the stabilizer around the edge of the hoop. Sometimes you can't do that and you just have to be carefull until you start the embroidery. I also put a piece of watersoluable stabilizer (lightweight) on top to keep the embroidery visable after it is done. I hope this helps.

• Laura_IA
    19 years ago

I use a heavy washaway (sulky ultra solvy I think it is) in the hoop, then spray with the 505 and place the towel on top. On the top of the towel, I use bridal tulle, lightly sprayed with the 505. I match the tulle to the color of the towel. The tulle holds the loops down, and it doesn't wash away. I've found that if I use a washaway on the top, eventually the loops find their way through the embroidery, especially if you're doing a monogram that uses a fairly wide satin stitch. Since I've been using the tulle, that hasn't happened.

Try a couple different ways, and see what you like best.

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, girls. Where can I get the 505 adhesive? I'm assuming that it is a temporary adhesive?

Tami

• deSha
    19 years ago

Tami, I get my 505 at the Sewing Machine store where I bought my machine. You might be able to get it or a similar product at you Joann's especially if they sell embroidery machines. Good luck.

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks!

• rubyjud
    19 years ago

i HAVE USED THE PLASTIC FROM DRY CLEANERS ON THE TOP OF THE TOWE.....IT IS PRETTY EASY TO PULL OFF..IF THE DESIGN IS NOT TOO INTRICUTE.....COSTS NOTHING....JUST BE CAREFUL TO NOT USE A PART THAT HAS THE ADVERTISEMENT ON IT....JUST THE CLEAR PART....IT WORKS GREAT.....AND NEVER GOES AWAY SO YOUR STITCHES ARE ALWAYS ABOVE THE TOWELING....IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN.....JUDY...IN LOUISIANA

• jenni_ca
    19 years ago

I have used Glad Press and Seal for towels and it works great. I have never had a problem at all. I like that it sticks to the towels and there is no need for the adhesive. It tears off very easily.
    I use it as a topper almost exclusively.
    Jenni

• Oklahoma
    19 years ago

Sorry Tami, I sent you a response from one of your other post and didnt see this one. I also see that someone here gave you the same advise i did...LOL

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES