Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Fab Four tribute

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

Just finished watching...brought back so many memories and I so enjoyed the music. I hope when I'm in my 70s like Paul and Ringo, I can still rock it like they do. A really big shoo!

Comments (25)

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

DH couldn't get over Ringo jumping around with so much energy!

We enjoyed it!

• annac54
    10 years ago

I've been playing my Beatles CDs this weekend and having a great time. I saw Hard Day's Night at a walk in theatre, and I remember the girls screaming through most of it. The volume would double whenever there was a close-up of Paul :)

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Loved it! Really glad to see Paul and Ringo playing together again for special events. They blew me away the night of the Grammys.

As an aside, have any of you seen 'Million Dollar Quartet'? We saw it at our local Broadway touring company theater the other night. It's the story of Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins getting together and recording a jam session in 1956. The old music just rocked the house!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Thoroughly enjoyed it! They've still got it!! Was kind of hoping Julian would sing one of his father's songs. Yoko was a hoot dancing it up! Would never have recognized Dave Clark. Probably one of the few times in life you can say exactly where you were and what you were doing 50 years ago to the hour....watching the Ed Sullivan show of course! Also, makes you wonder how much of today's music will be played 50 years from now....and still sound great....my guess is not a whole lot.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Loved most of the tribute. The only cover singer that bothered me was Katy Perry. (I usually like her).

I was happy that they interviewed the stage hands and some of the audience that was there 50 years ago.

I was 14 when they first appeared on Ed Sullivan. I have fond memories of the family gathering in front of the b/w TV to watch.

ML

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I agree about Katy Perry....I was hoping they would have more from "our" generation singing...like Smokey, the Zombies, Eric Burdon, Clapton, Dylan, etc...can you imagine all the 'old timers' belting out Hey Jude at the end? And I think it would have been great if those original audience members would have been there and actually got to meet Paul and Ringo.
    Still a great show though!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Well Pooh! I missed it. Does anyone know if it's available for viewing online?

• yayagal
    10 years ago

It was fantastic, I sang along with all the songs I knew well and had a big grin on my face watching the audience and the performers. I agree Katie seemed out of place yet her performance was excellent. Annie Lennox can still rock it.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

For those that missed it, it might be on demand....the title was "The Night That Changed America."

Oh, and Im surprised they didnt talk about the BI women....Dusty Springfield, Lulu, Petula Clark....loved Dusty!

• tinam61
    10 years ago

I was just a toddler when they came out, so never really got into them although I do love some of their songs. Wasn't home last night and didn't think to DVR. I love to see those who performed. Maybe it will re-run.

tina

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I loved every minute of it, but especially the end with Ringo and Paul singing! Their songs are part of my life and my history, as it with so many of us. Every song brings back memories of special times and events in my life.
    Lynn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree about Katy...her performance was lousy...her voice even cracked and she over did it by a lot. (Fashion Police had already trashed her gown.)Loved Alicia Keys though...she was great. Loved that they did Bull Dog which I hadn't heard in years and I was surprised to see that they did so many Harrison songs given how many great Mc/Lennon songs there are...Something, Here Comes the Sun, and my favorite Guitar Gently Weeps. Just loved them all. I thought the rendition of Revolution left a lot to be desired though. But the best part was Paul and Ringo who still have it and looked like, 50 years later, they're still having a boat load of fun. Good for them!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I missed most of it but I did catch the last ten mins. Paul and Ringo were wonderful. FYI, they are going to rerun the entire performance Wendsday night at 7:30 for all who missed it or if you want to watch it again.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

"Yesterday" should have been sung by Paul...just too iconic to be sung by someone else with him sitting in the audience...unless his voice isn't quite up to ballads anymore. Im glad to see they are repeating it.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you Caminnc. I turned on TV to search and it's not listed on CBS in our area. I'm thinking I may need to call our local CBS affiliate.

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS Cincinnati

This post was edited by justgotabme on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 21:27

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Thanks Carmin! Just emailed DD at college about the reshowing of it tomorrow night. She and her girlfriends were really disappointed to have missed it , as they had their sorority chapter meeting at the same time.

Did anyone notice how great Ringo's wife, Barbara Bach looked? She was a model and actress and a Bond Girl in "The Spy Who Loved Me" with Sean Connery before she married Ringo. Not bad for 66!

• caminnc
    10 years ago

That would be 8:30/7:30 central

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thanks Caminnc. I called our local CBS affiliate and they said they just got the word this morning so most cable channel guides will not have it listed. Just record from 7:30 to 10 central time so that's what I did.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 22:57

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Glad we will get another chance to see the entire show. I think they realized a little too late that it competed with the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

Love the Beatles, I was 11 when they appeared on ES show. I remember we hurried home from my Grandmothers house to see it. The longest hour of my life.

I really like Paul's new wife and the way she adores him. Ringo's wife looks amazing as well as George's wife. Sorry but I still can't stomach the sight of Yoko Ono!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Now I'm really anxious to see it.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

Get ready now!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I'm watching now Caminnc. I wasn't thrilled with how Stevie did We Can Work it Out. I'm sorry, but any Beatles song sung other than they way they wrote it is pretty much the same as someone that doesn't respect our national anthem when they sing it. It's just wrong.
    I love that Dhani Harrison played and sang along on his Dad's song Something. I loved how the camera caught Paul singing along and Ringo using imaginary drum sticks.
    I'm behind in watching as I started watching it after it already started, but rewound to the beginning. I'm so much enjoying it. Gosh it brings back loads of memories. What talents these young men were and are.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Am so glad they repeated it tonight....I taped it so I can watch it again.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I did too Joanie! I'm still watching as I had to stop while Skyping with my hubby.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I found out why Julian Lennon wasn't there.

"Well, let me see here. IâÂÂll do a little roundabout. So there were talks about the whole Grammy thing, being involved or being part of that. It was all a bit mad and trying to get information out of that scenario was like blood from a stone. WhoâÂÂs playing what, everybody was keeping schtum about whoâÂÂs doing this, that, and the other. And I live in Europe anyway, not that I canâÂÂt get on a plane, but it was like if IâÂÂm going to be involved in any way, shape or form then I need to come out there for rehearsals. Like I said, blood from a stone.

At the end of it I said, âÂÂYou know what, IâÂÂm just gonna wish you all well. Have a great time. I love you dearly, but uhâ¦â Another thing I wanted to do was stand in the audience, you know, clapping with the audience (laughs), watching other people sing Beatles songs (laughs)? For me it would be Celebs Do Beatles Karaoke Night. I donâÂÂt need to see that (laughs). IâÂÂm not being rude. That whole thing is not my cup of tea. IâÂÂm just not wired that way. Again, I wish them well. I just think events like that can be�"not saying that it is because I havenâÂÂt seen the performances yet�"can be a little on the cheese factor side. I prefer to know The Beatles as they were, when they were. There can never be a reunion anyway so I just thought IâÂÂll send them my love, wish them well, hope they have a great time."