Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blue_fastback

Can a pillow top mattress be flipped?

blue_fastback
18 years ago

I have a simmons pillow top matress that is 2 years old and is not as comfortable as when I got it. It seems to be sagging. I have turned it end for end which helped a little but I am still not happy. It was not worth the big money I paid for it. I was thinking of flipping it. Has anyone tried this?

Comments (45)

• mactruck
    18 years ago

it depends on if it's a no flip (one sided mattress) or a double sided mattress. If it looks like there is a big pillow on the side that faces the box spring or foundation or it looks exactly the same as the side thats facing up currently (less wear and tear) than it's a 2 sided mattress.

If thats the case it should have been flipped about 22 months ago. Mfg's recommend flipping every month or two. for a 2 sided matt.
    If you try to warranty it and they see it hasn't been flipped they may void it.

If it's a one sided then no it cant be flipped.

• smiles78
    18 years ago

I thought newer mattresses were made so no flipping was needed.

• mactruck
    18 years ago

Not all of them.
    No Flips are great racket started by the big "S" brands.
    "HEY, Lets take a third of the amount of product out of a mattress and advertise it as a no flip then charge 1/3 more."
    That'$ their mentality.

• varenovator
    18 years ago

My suspicion is that 'no flip' matresses are marketing hype. I'd like to see some sort of a technical description of the difference between 'no flip' and regular.
    To the point of the OP, I don't think a pillow top matress would be designed to be flipped, if there's no matching pillow top on the bottom side. Otherwise, you have the pillow top on the top only half the time!
    An option would be to rotate the mattress (so the head is at the feet, and vice versa). Maybe that would help?

• david_gf_2006
    18 years ago

In the days before no-flips, all mattresses were two-sided. This included pillow tops. Both sides had the additional pillow top sewn on to the mattress.
    A no-flip mattress has one fully upholstered side, with whatever fill materials between you and the springs. The other side is a piece of foam covered in a cloth.
    They are not marketing hype, just a realization that consumers didn't flip mattresses when they could. So why make two-sided pieces?

• blue_fastback
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The mattress and has the pliiow top on one side so I guess its not suppose to be flipped. I just wonder if any one has flipped this style? I have no idea want kind of warranty comes with the mattress. I found no warranty papers with my receipt. When I emailed Simmons about flipping and the fact I was not very satisfied that the mattress is sagging, they were not much help. They never said anything in reguards to flipping and said IF there is a warranty issue that I need to contact the store where it was purchased from. I seem to never have any luck trying to warranty a product that Impurchase when something is wrong with it. How does a mattress start sagging after only 2 years and designed no to be flipped?

Mark

• varenovator
    18 years ago

I suspect that if you flipped it anyway, it would be very uncomfortable. I don't think they built the bottom of the matress in a way that would be meant to be slept on. Have you tried the rotate option?

• blue_fastback
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have rotated the mattress. It helped some but not enough.

• obespalov
    17 years ago

I have the same problem. I'm tired of the sagging and simmons 1.5 inch policy won't cover me so I'm just going to try and flip it and see how it feels. Maybe I'll add a foam topper.

• gin_gin
    17 years ago

We have the same problem with our simmons heavenly bed (no flip pillow top). It's about 3 years old, but started noticing a problem after only a year. The 1.5 inch policy is our problem too. Rotating it may help some, but then I get my husband's side which is sagging worse (he's a big guy). I know we won't buy simmons again.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

I agree that the Simmons mattresses are not what they used to be. But then, is anything else and agree about the warranties. These are "gimmicks" that are rarely is ever honored and if they are, it cost the consumer more time to get them honored than the value of the warranty. It is infuriating. Oh, yes, go buy something at the big box stores and ask them about the warranty and they tell you to call the company. You call the company and they tell you to call the point of purchase. It's designed that way. I tell you, the system's again' us.

• suecan3_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I found this forum because I too am unhappy with my one-sided pillow top that is only a couple years old and starting to sag horribly. The dip in the middle is so obvious my cat curls up there. I'm terribly disappointed and after reading these responses, I see that I'm not alone. Lesson learned, I guess.

• lmsthompson_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a expensive Spring Air, which now has a grand canyon in the middle,it is a one sided pillow topped, I'm going to slice the padding off of the top with a stich ripper,then flip the mattress,and pin the pillow-top on the other side. nothing to loose,I can't get comfortable in it as is.

• sleeplessinaustin_me_com
    13 years ago

Same problem with my Simmons "heavenly" bed. It's 3 years old but started sagging after 1st year. It ain't so "heavenly" anymore. No more Simmons.

• jmmcd3
    13 years ago

Was there ever any resolution to the "can you flip a non-flip mattress" question? Has anyone tried it? I kind of agree with @david_gf_2006 that it's probably a marketing gimmick.

I have a non-flip, non-pillowtop that just has the ticking on the one side. It's an extra-firm mattress.

I wondered if I bought a mattress pad with a little extra cushion, or maybe a foam topper, if I could flip the mattress and sleep on the underside.

• yourinnerwisdom_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We had nothing to lose so we DID flip ours over. We have a Simmons no flip sagging pillowtop too. We've gotten no where with Simmons or the store we bought it from so finally just decided to turn it over. It's not super comfortable, but better than the alternative. I am disgusted that we spent $1000 on a mattress that is so poorly designed. Never again Simmons!!!!

• marygruen
    12 years ago

I'm having the same problem and thought of flipping and buying one of the 5" toppers. My only concern is if the springs will poke me in the back or they only spring one way or are closer to the top. I'm going to try it, got nothing to lose. MY MATTRESS IS A KINGSDOWN 800. I paid $4200. It lost its loving feeling after 6 months and after two years gives me backaches. GOT IT AT SIT'N SLEEP. I had an inspection and it didn't measure 1 1/2 inches as required by the warranty. However, I intend to pursue the IMPLIED WARRANTY of mechantability and FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, the purpose being a healthful sleep for more than two years. It seems like everyone is getting backaches from these pillowtops. The inspector told me that there is only one mattress nowadays that is flippable and that's CUSTOM COMFORT. They're in southern California. They're the only ones I can't find any negative comments about.

• iaurentine
    11 years ago

FOURTY TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A MATTRESS THAT LASTED 6 months?????? omfg.

anyways, I found this forum because the simmons I paid $100 dollars for at an outlet store which I LOVE because the top layer zips off and I can wash it, started sagging after about 6 years and today I turned it over and we're laying on it right now. it's very firm like a futon, but i'm either going to buy a memory foam 4 inch topper for it and sleep on it another 6 years, or i'll break down and buy a 12 inch memory foam mattress that has good reviews from w mart. I used to spend money for mattresses but I got burned by QVC when I bought a very expensive supposed 20 year warranty memory foam mattress from them and when it started to sag and slump after 3 years ABSOLUTELY NO ONE would help me, QVC's warranty was 30 days and the mattress company wouldn't answer their phone calls. I did burn them though because I did that nice fake phone in thing until I got on air and pretended to call in good things but I punked them and started talking about how badly it sagged and no one would answer the phones at the company. it was really funny and ever since then I decided to buy extremely cheap mattresses (I feel incredibly happy my $100 simmons has lasted me 6 years!!!) because as you can see from the woman above who spent 4200 on one, they're all scams and none of these fake warranties covers anything. Since this post is so old i'd love to hear how you all ended up fairing all these years. p.s. i'm a fan of simmons because I like the individual coils and it not moving plus the zip off topper is great to be able to have a freshly washed bed as often as I like. I do notice after flipping it that the individual coils no longer work and you do get a little motion from your partner but I should be able to get rid of that when I get my gel memory foam topper from w mart. yeah I know-hate me for shopping at w mart, but in this economy, I can no longer afford to be all she she buying expensive non box store stuff. there are no jobs where I live so wmart it is.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

My wife and I purshased a Tempurpedic about 6 years ago and it is still perfect. Prior to that we purchased a very costly pillow top and paid $4200 for it. We had the same sagging problem. It looked like new but it was uncomfortable. We gave it to the drivers when they delivered our Tempurpedic.

• Laurie Farley
    8 years ago

I had the same sagging problem with my Simmons pillow top. I have flipped the mattress and although it is very firm, it is MUCH more comfortable than the pillow top side. Will be interesting to see how long this lasts. I will never buy a pillow top again.

• patmurfee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

well..I sure am behind times..I have had my pillowtop for 16 yrs..was told i could not flip it..not by a professional just friends..so i d turn it once in awhile..it is not sagging..but today i looked under and it does have a pillow top underneath so i guess i coud turn it then? Don't know the make..tks for any advice...oops just checked it was made by simmons..bought in slc...tks again..

• gardengategiftsbyroez
    8 years ago

To jmmcd3 we have a no flip Serta and it's sagging really bad. We flipped it and put a pillow top cover on it. Much better!

• freethinker99
    8 years ago

There are a few pillow tops that are made to be flipped but most are not.

• lisacan26
    8 years ago

I have one sided pillow top mattress that was given to me as a wedding gift. It's only 3 years old but it gives me so much back pain because it sags. I got desperate last night and I flipped it. I'm now sleeping on the wrong side, however last night was the first night in so long that I did not have back pain! The wrong side is much firmer but it works for the husband and me.

• Jeannie Gettings
    8 years ago

Greetings! I too had the sagging pillow top mattress. I bought an extra firm foam topper from Amazon. It didn't work for the sagging problem.... it just sagged in the same place. I decided to just turn the mattress over and put my foam topper on it. Walla!!! Firm mattress, no sagging. Just do it. Turn it over and put a firm topper on it. Maybe I'll sleep well tonight!

• ahdavis63
    8 years ago

I've had my No-Flip pillow top mattress just over 3yrs and started sagging at 2yrs, despite the every 6 mos. rotation. It is only myself sleeping on it and I'm 5'7" 15 lbs which I cannot understand why it would sag so much. When I had enough I was going to contact the manufacturer, only to remember I cut the mattress tag off. Mistake. ...BIG mistake because once the tag is gone all bets are off. I paid approximately $1400. Never again, in the future I will buy the firmest and least expensive mattress there is and accessorize it. In the meantime, I'm going to flip this mattress and accessorize the other side.

• victoriajoy749
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I too, am going to flip it anyway. There is no Mattress Police that says I can't flip a no flip mattress. I am going to put a 3 inch pricey no spill mattress pad on it and then sleep my heart out. I paid $1000 for it and know there is about 12 inches of latex memory foam under there so it should be comfortable. I am only a medium sized woman, I am doing this to help it wear more evenly as I am the only person who sleeps on one side. I have rotated it as instructed. It is still very comfortable , but this is the last mattress I will ever buy, it has to last even if I must add to it

• Nanci Boutet
    8 years ago

I flipped ours yesterday, slept on it last night. VERY comfortable. Very firm, but we like firm. I can tell it's going to sag, but I'll get what I can out of it before I contribute to the mountain of mattresses in the dump. Crying shame how we dispose of everything like it magically disappears. This is more of a problem to me than the fact that we have to buy new ones. I think we could do better for the planet.

• Nanci Boutet
    8 years ago

And the foam sometimes off gasses and you are soaking yourself in chemicals instead of rejuvenating. Sorry to be a buzz kill.

• Wanda Dietrich
    8 years ago

I think they made the non flip mattress so you would have to purchase more often. If they want to stay in business they should go back to the doubled sided mattress. Not right for them to do this.

• Kristen Patla
    8 years ago

I also have a pillow top mattress purchased a couple of years ago that is sagging. I swing it around monthly and I have used a quilted mattress pad over a feather bed on top of the mattress and it is back like new.

• caroline0roberts
    8 years ago

Hi everyone, I am from the UK and found this forum as I too am having issues with my brand new no turn mattress. This is not my first no turn mattress, the last one was made by Silent Night and it lasted for about 7 years. It wasn't expensive about £200 or so. The topping was ok, but the springs went (there is only me sleeping on it), so I decided to get a new one. I couldn't find one that I liked in my price range where I bought the last one, so went to a retailer who sells online and has outlets too that you can try the mattresses out in. I looked at this one which is a Healthopaedic Zero Gravity with pocket springs and a 'comfort foam' topper. It was great in the shop, just outside my price range but I was happy with it. I had seen a Sealy which was similar to my previous one, it had a fabric foam topper, but only had coiled springs, which apparently are not as good as pocket and was £100 dearer. The one thing I was worried about was heat, I don't like to get too hot but the sales assistant told me that it would keep me cozy in the winter and cool in the summer. I bought it, had it delivered after some issues and slept like a baby on it for 4 nights, then found that it wasn't so comfortable, I rotated it and again, slept well, but the foam compressed again and neither end has recovered it's original position since. The very long story cut short, I contacted customer services at Mattressman, the girl at the other end was rude and patronising, I was apparently sleeping on it wrong!! I tried to get her to take it back as it wasn't fit for purpose. We had some email exchanges and in the end she sent round an 'independent' engineer, He agreed that it had sunk but as it had only sunk 300mm - 350mm at worst, but told me that it needed to be 400mm for Mattressman to agree it was faulty. I tried to get my credit card company to take the money back from them under section 75, it didn't work as the report came back that it wasn't faulty. I got two other companies involved, one called Resolver, who write to the company for you and try to mediate, no joy that way. So I went to the furniture ombudsman, she tried but no joy due to the 'independent' report. The only thing I could do was to get another report of my own at a cost of anything between £150 and £350 plus Court Costs when/if we went to Court, with no guarantee of winning. The mattress cost me £299 so not really worth it. I have just flipped it so that the 'comfort foam' is underneath. The mattress feel like a slab, but I will get a comfort topper and see. The dip and the retained heat in the other side is too bad to consider sleeping on it again. I will save up and buy another new mattress and give this one to charity, someone else might appreciate a hot crater to sleep on!

I will let you know how sleeping on the 'wrong' side goes.

• Maryanne Jones
    8 years ago

Choosing a good mattress is really important, I get much more sleep
    since choosing mine. I personally have a Signature Sleep but have
    written about some other options here NuMattress.com

• Beth Android
    7 years ago

If I put a 3-4" topper on my mattress I wouldn't be able to get my "deep pocket" fitted sheet on the bed.

• brenn2
    6 years ago

the retail store finally agreed to give me a new mattress that was not pillow top, I am much happier

• Kristopher Nelson
    4 years ago

We bought a really nice pillow top mattress. And it's sagged big time on both sides In fact the hump in the middle we eventually called Wednesday. So, after talking with the wife instead of buying a new bed I decided to go buy a foam top and flip the one sided mattress. Hopefully this will work

• Joana Marie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, after a year of feeling like I’m sinking in this extra soft memory foam mattress (which is the reason for my new symptom of bad back and sleepless nights), I flipped my mattress. Its not ’flippable’. After a week, I had some relief for my back pain and also got some good zzz’s. If you can’t afford to buy a new mattress, it’s worth a try. Goodluck!

• HU-710811779
    3 years ago

New euro top mattress causing pain points in shoulder and hips and felt like I was sinking. Flipped it to the wrong side and added an egg crate topper; much much more comfortable and no sinking.

• Scott S
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes.....I had a mattress that was too soft on the pillowtop side...I would say a 9 in softness. I flipped it to the non pillowtop side and it was too hard....I would say a 4 in softness. I got a 1.5 inch memory foam topper and it made bed about a 7 in softness which was perfect for my back. Absolutely you should try flipping the mattress to the non pillowtop side and try this before buying a new mattress.

• gerdyp
    3 years ago

Old thread but always a hot topic! I chose to make a king size bed from two twin XL mattresses and box springs purchased from Menards. The mattresses are firm and I can flip. On top of that I purchased a 3" latex mattress topper. This was 6 years ago and both mattresses AND the mattress topper are still like new. Latex doesn't break down like foam so it seems like it actually keeps the mattress from sagging. Win-win for us...saved a ton of money and it's super comfy!!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thread bumped by "Sad Derton", a spammer. Please flag spam when you see it. (ETA: spam removed.)

• changamartinez
    2 years ago

Just now flipped mine. It's similar to the photo above, gray, firmer side, but no box spring - it's on a solid foundation. I'm thinking, henceforth, buy nothing but firm, and add a pad - replace the pad every few years when that gets worn thin in places - because while the pillow top/softer mattress feels good AT FIRST, it gets too soft over time and use. Go firm, then make softer with pads. Also, I take my excitement where I can get it - I feel like a rebel going against societies "norms" by flipping and sleeping on the "no flip side". What a wild woman I am!! What wild people we are!!

• SW FAN
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have a no flip. The pillow top was shot. Guess what? We flipped it and put the 3" memory foam pad on it that we already had and figured we'd try it for a night. Worst case we'd get a bad nights sleep and need to buy a new mattress. Best case? It's fine.

Guess what? We slept on it that first night LIKE BABIES and we have been sleeping on it like that for OVER A YEAR.

It's firm, but the 3" memory foam pad is so soft yet firm somehow. It feels AMAZING.

When we do go and search for a new mattress someday, if it doesn't feel like our current flipped and memory foam padded "No flip" pillow top mattress, we won't get it.

We've never slept better!

NO NONSENSE. Try it. You have very little to lose except maybe a nights sleep. We gained better sleep.

I'm sure someone from a Mattress store is going to show up and tell me how I'm full of it. No, I'm not. You are.

• mulata
    2 years ago

Yep… the thought of having to buy a new mattress and then having to wrestle the old one to the dump was too much so i flipped the pillow top and ended up with a firm mattress that only needed a cheap 1 1/2 inch foam topper from Walmart and - voila!!! ” i fought the law and I won!”😂