Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snookums_gw

10 year old boy and Bombay loft bed - day 1

snookums
17 years ago

So the loft bed came today. It's GORGEOUS. Looks even better in my house than it did in the store. I'm so glad I got it. (We got him the chestnut, btw)

But within just 2 hours of it being done, he's damaged the side messing with the ladder before it was bolted on, and then he DROPPED his desk chair down the stairs trying to pull it up (we picked that up rather than paid for delivery on it). Luckily, the area by the ladder is a tiny blemish and the chair just has one tiny scuff on it.

But this is just day 1. I'm scared! The kid is destruction central and I should've just bought him a canvas camping cot!

At least he's not drawing on it like he did his old stuff...

Comments (7)

• xamsx
    17 years ago

Bombay is not exactly excellent quality. It is ok quality for the money, but I'd only buy items from them that no one would be touching constantly (like a wall mirror, pictures, etc.) I love Bombay for their accessories, but Bombay furniture... not-so-much.

Bob Smith is absolutely correct. However, sometimes people do not have the money to purchase the highest quality, or they like to change their style constantly. If affordability is an issue, buying one-piece-at-a-time works well to accumulate high-end goods.

Dropping a high-end chair down the stairs is unlikely as the sheer weight of the item would preclude a 10 year old from carrying it by him/her self.

• snookums
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Travis loft bed (w/ the chair in the picture) - link below. I spent $509 on the bed, w/ their 40% off sale. It's absolutely gorgeous and is perfect for his room (which is small).

Here is a link that might be useful: Travis loft bed

• pcj42
    17 years ago

snookums--you are right! I have a very, high quality, top notch bed that we bought from an auction at about 80% less than you can buy from the manufacturer. I will refrain from naming them. I love the quality and the bed and am very pleased with it especially for the price. However, I can scratch the finish with my finger nail while I make it up every morning if I'm not careful. I like the quality of it because it is made from good wood and excellent craftsmanship. I know I will be able to pass it on to my daughter one day and she will be able to pass it on to her children. The furniture will hold up for generations, but the finish made need to be redone.

• bellaflora
    17 years ago

My son 6yo wants wants wants the BOMBAY KIDS loft bed but I can't imagine spending nearly 1K on anything that can't carry him into college and beyond. He has the LOUVERED bed (also by Bombay) which I bought on clearance for 150$ (and still regretted every pennies!). Some furniture develops 'patina' with use, these things just look bad when it's scratched. Especially on the chestnut finish, every scratches and ding make the bed look really shabby!! Recently I went to the showroom and just by checking the quality of the floor's model, I know these furnitures won't stand the test of time. The desk and dresser on the floor are already falling apart!!!

I'm planning to replace his bombay's bed with a better quality solid wood one. Any suggestion??

• lorriekay
    17 years ago

Here's my sons loft .. I just finished it. I had it made by a local builder from solid unfinished yellow pine. It is rated for 2 adults to sleep on. It is so sturdy!
    I sanded All the edges rounded .. filled the knotholes, sanded. Stained with blue finish & Sealed with a Matte finish. It looks even better with the bedding on it .. the dust ruffle comes down & hides the unfinished part.
    It is Full size.. and has a HUGE playspace underneath which is what I wanted for his small room :)
    I am soo happy with it.
    This piece will definitely hold up & can go to college with him.
    The finish isn't factory perfect but I know it will last!

• lorriekay
    17 years ago

Oops forgot the Pic :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

lorrie, you should take post another pic that shows the whole area, when you get a chance.