Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvsteph7_gw

Newbie (at this bulletin and at 'grownup' furniture)

pvsteph7
16 years ago

Wow! How did people make purchases before bulletin boards like this existed? I just spent months planning an Alaskan cruise with the help of a similar forum, so much information!

And now I find myself needing to buy furniture for my new (and first!) house. I've skimmed a few threads, and it seems like you guys are all high-end, expert furniture people. So, please humor me and my ignorance in furniture and let me know what you think:

I need to furnish a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, and bedroom, in a smaller-type house (thinking sectional, compact furniture, etc). so pretty much a whole house...I'm looking for a decent starter set (no IKEA like stuff), cannot afford the really really high quality furniture, and like many other people, like the look of Pottery Barn. I was even contemplating buying from PB until I read these threads, and now think I'd like to find something better quality for that price. So I guess my price range is about Pottery Barn-ish, or a little less. And quality that will last a while, but not forever, b/c this is only a starter house and I will eventually (5-10 yrs) be upgrading furniture again.

Also, I am located in Los Angeles, and am at a loss for where to even look for furniture (besides the main chain stores, PB, C&B, Ethan Allen). Any thoughts on where I should look? I'd like to ideally see the furniture in a store, since I'm pretty picky about the firmness of my sofa (who isn't?!)

Apologies for the long message, I don't know how much information is relevant. ANY advice you guys can give me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• xamsx
    16 years ago

This forum is just a start - I had a case goods background but when I decided to spend $$$$ on a few sofas & chairs I did a lot of research. Read a lot of books & google is your friend. Trips to the furniture stores are in order to see the construction, etc. I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to NC for one sofa buying trip and after looking at what NYC had to offer the cost was downright cheap! I have purchased a lot of heirloom quality furniture the last few years, and even with currently respected manufacturers (not those resting on their laurels) you really need to know what to look for. So, education is the key.

So, once you are comfortable with what to look for, investigate consignment shops, estate sales, thrift stores, etc too. Find a good upholsterer & refinisher. Many times this road is not less expensive than buying new, but it can be a way to get better quality furniture at reasonable prices. And, don't forget ebay & craigslist. I know it sounds crazy, but if you have the ability to pick up the furniture, this can be another outlet.

Best wishes :-)

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

I too like the PB style and had a similar budget. For my LR, I purchased Lee Industries (manufacturer not retailer) which coincidentally can be ordered from Crate and barrell. They do have a 25% off sale once a year and I think it in October which is a significant savings. I actually ordered from North Carolina b/c I live close to NYC and my local retailer was charging me over $2K more. I bought a sofa, loveseat and 2 chais in medium grade fabric for about $5K.
    www.leeindustries.com

For Bedroom furniture, I chose Durham furniture. In this case my local retailer was having a 40% off sale so I got a bed, 2 sidetables and a 5 drawer chest for about $2600. Another manufacturer I looked at was Orville and Mead which I think is actually owned ny Durham. www.orvilleandmead.com. Solid wood furniture - great quality - made in Canada.

I can't help you find a local retailer as I'm not familiar with CA. Some of the big box retailers in my area include Ethan Allen, Thomasville, Safaveigh Home, Henredon, Domain, EJ Audi. However all the sites listed above can help you find a retailer in your area.

Good luck and congrats on your new home!

• manhattanmatt
    16 years ago

I'm a huge fan of Stickley furniture. Hand made in Rochester, NY, solid oak and cherry.

Another alternative is the Amish made furniture. Made also by hand in PA and OH, most ship nationally. Just Google "Amish furniture".

Something to think about when choosing to buy furniture: invest in the highest quality you can afford, even if it means buying only a few pieces at a time. In the end, quality pieces will outlast you and even your grandchildren. Also, stick with simple, classic styles (Mission and Shaker, for example, are equally at home in traditional and country settings as they are in modern). You're going to want your lifetime investment to never go out of style, even as your own style taste changes over the years.

• xamsx
    16 years ago

I too am a fan of Stickley - I consider it a great bang-for-the-buck. It is, however, not inexpensive. Your advice on buying one quality piece at a time is excellent, manhattanmatt.

The Stickley factory is in Manlius near Syracuse.

• manhattanmatt
    16 years ago

Syracuse. Rochester. To us Manhattanites, it's all the same. ;)