Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_altieri

Advice on two vastly different hardwood quotes for the same space

Tiffany Altieri
13 years ago

I have three bedrooms, two landings (or as I call them - hallways) and 30 stairs that I want put down hardwood flooring on. For the stairs I want wood treads and white painted mdf risers. They are fully enclosed on both sides, no bannisters or other fancy edges. I have gotten two vastly different price quotes to do this and wanted your opinion on them.

Quote #2 is just south of 9K. We'd be using an Acacia @ 5.29 per sq ft. They suggested stained oak treads and noses as this wood does not come with a trim package, and I was worried about matching treads to noses.

Quote #2 came in at $15,700. We'd be using American Walnut @ 7.41 per sq ft. It does come with a complete trim package. Without the stairs, they quoted the price at 10K. Which means they are charging $190 per stair, painted MDF risers, only the treads in wood.

1) Something seems amiss to me with such vastly different quotes and 2) is $190 per fully enclosed stair reasonable?

To be honest, I was expecting Quote #2 to be higher, but I was thinking in the region of 12K-13K. Do I have unreasonable expectations?

Comments (9)

• Tiffany Altieri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Obviously, the first Quote is Quote #1 - this forum really needs an edit button...

• Tiffany Altieri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did the breakdown late last night.

Quote #1 is charging me about $3/sq ft for regular install plus $60 a stair. Materials are about $4943.

Quote #2 is charging me about $4.33/sq ft for regular install plus $190 a stair. Materials are about $6517.

So it is the stair install they differ so greatly on. Quote #2 is more than 3 times the price of Quote #1. I actually found an invoice detailing all this from Quote #1. I had to calculate backwards for Quote #2. Though Quote #1 is cheap (which brings to question why), I am really liking the transparency in pricing.

Both companies are smallish though Company #1 has more national locations. The other one is really local with only two branches in the area. Both have good online reviews in my area (which is why I selected them). I don't really know others who have had hardwood installed (we're about to be first time home buyers) or I'd ask.

• Tiffany Altieri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone? Is Company #1 really cheap and Company #2 really expensive? Have we just not found the correct middle ground yet? Or is one more in line with what you think we should expect and which one?

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

Often times getting a good deal on wood is not simply a matter of quality. A lot of it has to do with sourcing and the type of business your dealing with. For example, We try to remain competitive in price because of our positioning in the market, but that doesn't mean our product is any less quality many of our customers have actually complemented us on our superior milling and finish. Anyways, my point is don't second guess yourself just because your getting a good deal. When buying online always look for credibility or testimonials.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to buy flooring online

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

Hi vestirse,
    Please let us know your total sqft for the rest of the house besides the 2 landing and 30 steps. So we can give a a good breakdowns. We dealt with same situations often since we stock both Acacia and Walnut. How wide planks are Acacia and Walnut? Are they solid? Thank you.

• Tiffany Altieri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply. 820 sq ft is the higher number I've gotten and accounts for 10% overage. I would not be buying online - these are both "local" outfits and both have good online reviews - though the more expensive ones have been around longer so have both better and more reviews.

Both woods are engineered. The Acacia is 5". The Walnut comes RW per carton at 2¾", 3¼" & 5". I've linked to the Garrison product below.

To update, I did write them an email about their high price for stairs and got a call back basically saying please continue to consider us, we'll work with you on price. So...

Here is a link that might be useful: Garrison DaVinci Walnut Carrera (bottom right)

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. about your estimates. We understand that buying wood flooring online is not for everyone even though if using common sense and in-depth researches, it can save quite some for similar quality products found locally. By the way, you have done a great job noticing the confusing facts in wood flooring business.
    Now let's talk about you 2 flooring quotes: Acacia Walnut is from Asia and has a 2300 janka rating. It has similar grain patterns to American walnut which is 1010 in Janka rating. It is one of the few hot colored and inexpensive wood floorings on market now. We stock the solid moldings for the floor. But for vents, treads and risers, we would prefer to use unfinished American walnut and then stain match the Acacia color. So if you decide to go with the first quote, you may consider to have your installer do the same for your 30 stairs. The cost for unfinished walnut should be quite some more than Oak, but still affordable. $60 installation per step is fair to us. The second quote with Walnut is still fair to me. $7.41/sqft RW walnut is a reasonable price with a 3mm wear layer. $4.33 to install RW flooring is not too much either in this business. It is also about right to install a prefinished Walnut tread and white riser at $190. So to conclude, a lot of it has to do with sourcing and the type of business you are dealing with.

• Tiffany Altieri
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So basically... it's all good? Was that the conclusion?

Hmm. I think I can do better than what was quoted to me from company #2 and I think they agree if they are saying they are willing to work with us on price...

• uniquewoodfloors
    13 years ago

Both quotes are fairly priced for what you will end up getting. Walnut has always been a more expensive species. Acacia is from Asia so it costs less to your dealer to start from. You are not comparing apple to apple even though Acacia can be a highly satisfied flooring to a lot of customers. I hope I answered you questions. Thank you!